Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : The other 'n' word is practice for THE 'N' word

Discussion in 'Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion' started by dustyelbow, Dec 20, 2006.

1. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    Seems like anytime I hear people use the 'n' word it goes hand and hand with 'The 'N' word' in the community.

What word?

It's hair and its usually associated with tightness and has no shape recognizable.

What is the word?

Nappy.

Nappy the word looks to be of English-Irish origin, with its use as a SOILED BABY DIAPER.

If so, how did it TRANSFORM into the uncombed or deformed HAIR of AFRICAN PEOPLE.

Was this WORD of TRUE AFRICAN ORIGIN and LANGUAGE. Was the HAIR of AFRICANS ALWAYS considered SOILED and UNMANAGABLE.

Is NAPPY the same a WOOLY or WOOL LIKE in translated description of US from ANCIENT TIMES of VARIOUS CIVILIZATIONS?

Or is it used to DEGRADE our HUMANITY during a TURBULENT TIME in WORLD HISTORY?

Why I brought this up?

Kramer Rant Boosts DVD Sales

One of the posters in the comment section describe Kramer AKA RICHARDS as

RICHARDS is DESCRIBED AS NAPPY-HEADED.

I have heard MANY of US use in a DISPARAGING TONE with your favorite EXPLETIVE attached.

So ARE WE DEALING with IT.

Are we USING IT to MEAN something GOOD and what many people say as POSITIVE.

Use of it seemingly GAVE WAY to the The 'N' WORD. The foundation HAD TO BE THERE to be WHERE we are NOW.

2. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    In the world of sewing nappy means a kind of cloth that is not smooth but has a three dimentional texture like wool, velvet, fur or suede.

This has been a public service message brought to you by the Happy to be Nappy Society, Inc. (HNSI)

3. dustyelbow

Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks.

But if I had a choice, I would ABANDON its USE ALL TOGETHER.

It's use is not for UPLIFTMENT since its CONCEPTION and CANNOT YIELD ANYTHING GOOD about US.

4. Bluewater

Bluewater Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Praising The Lord
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hi Dustyellow & River
    You are both right, it is a European word meaning diaper (three dimentional cloth), and my studies in the history of my people with the guiding help of my grandfather who is now amongst the ancestors, told me is that words that was used in the past became shorten and a new meaning was made by the slaves of those times. So for example I would think that the slaves were told to cover their head with a Nappy (Diaper) because the European was disturbed by the texture of our hair. And just by looking at the pictures that was taken during those times, as well as the painting, all the women heads are covered with a white cloth, or handkerchief. So "Cover your head with a Nappy" made have been shorten to "Cover your nappy head."

5. dustyelbow

Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks Bluewater and hello.

Your insight is very thoughtful and I too came to a similar conclusion. But black women have been covering their heads with crowns to cloth for as long as we knew how milleniums.

I guess the word 'nappy' comes into play maybe when many black children or girls served in the WHITE HOUSE who had no family history or the history and mannerism of their parents due to being SHUFFLED AROUND took on the MANNERS as EDUCATION from the WHITE HOUSE.

I dont see an ADULT or TEEN ENSLAVED AFRICAN freshly BROKEN from the CONTINENT using this term. It must have been NEW WORLD BORN BLACKS who have NO COMMUNITY or FAMILY TIES learning what they can ABOUT COMMUNITY from the WHITE HOUSE and PICKED UP ON THIS HORRIBLE SAYING.

There is ANOTHER WORD that I learned about the tight curling of our HAIR that I learned while GROWING UP in the COMMUNITY. It's HARDLY USED at ALL TODAY but it was PREVALENT in my FAMILY COMMUNITY SETTING. I am leaning that this WORD maybe AFRICAN-INSPIRED or STRAIGHT from the COMMUNITY.

Perhaps I will come back on this.