Pan Africanism : The 'Other' Diaspora: Afro-Arabs and Afro-Indians

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by NNQueen, Feb 24, 2004.

1. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    The Other Diaspora

"This article in The Washington Post about Iraqis of African descent is fascinating. Recently I've been reading books about the Brazilian "racial democracy," and some of the quotes from Afro-Iraqis are exactly the same as Afro-Brazilians, they often de-emphasize their blackness and look to their commonalities with the general society, all the while being victims of racism from the lighter majority.

Though the presence of blacks in the Arab world is well known, their existence in India is not. The Muslim rulers of India brought black slaves with their armies to rule over the subcontinent, though several times the slaves rebelled and took power into their own hands, and black military leaders become de facto rulers. The Siddi people of India are the descendents of black Africans."

Check out the pictures of the Siddi people of India. Read the entire article here: http://www.gnxp.com/MT2/archives/001621.html?entry=1621

Peace :spinstar:

2. Sun Ship

Sun Ship Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    Black people are and have been everywhere

Peace Sister NNQueen,

What is also interesting about the African or so-called Africoid (Negroid) presence in the Arab world, Palestine, the Middle and Near East or India, is that there is a lot of evidence that relates to the fact, that some of these Black people predated the Arab slave trade or the introduction of Blacks by way of their Arab masters. There has been some debate about the Zanj, who may be the ancestors of today’s Afro-Iraqi’s and others. It has always been easy for scholars to jump to the institution of slavery as a migratory vehicle for the presence of Black’s, in areas that are outside of Africa proper. I think slavery has always been a intellectual racist scapegoat and an overly simplified theory for the existence of phenotypically sub-Saharan African or Negroid-like people in areas that have great religious, historical and cultural significance, to especially the “so-called” non-Black world. This was part of the argument I was having with brother Ozzy.

Some of the posts on the web page you presented are pretty racist, as you read further down. I think most Africans and African Americans would be surprised at how many people in the world looked like them today and historically. Also, there are some extraordinary writings by a Afro-Iraqi who lived in Basra in the 8th century AD, named Abu-Uthman Amr ibn Bahr al-Jahiz better known as Al-Jahiz, he relates in his writings the natural supremacy of Blacks and how racist, Arab Muslims were at that time. He was considered one of the greatest minds of the Arabic world.

Peace

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Thank You for bringing this topic up NN. The Afro-Arab connection is perhaps the oldest section of the African Diaspora. Through the Trans-Saharan slave trade it at least dates in the B.C. era. Arguably it goes back to the beginnings of Egypt. Although it is little discussed, it definately exist. To add a face to Afro-Arabs here is an article & picture of Palestinian Olympic Runner, Sanaa Abu:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/040305/483/kcf10703051824

4. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    The piece on the Siddis of India was particularly interesting. I have long suspected that there was an African connection in India. It is obvious looking at the extremely dark complexion of many Asian-Indians. However, I never had a historical origin to base my theory on....now I do!! :jumping: The internet is a wonderful tool, it is a vehicle to travel to different lands. It makes the dream of PanAfricanism possible, by allowing PanAfricanist to converse with Africans throughout the Diaspora. Again NN Queen, thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this. :bowdown: I would like to know what nation these people migrated from, it would make for great study. :book:

5. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    You are most welcome Brother PanAfrica. Let's keep studying and learning about African peoples around the world!

Queenie :heart:

6. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

They migrated from Ethiopia and other nations in the peninsula.