Black People : The New Discrimination?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Kamau47, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Kamau47

Kamau47 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,304
  2. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,926
    Oh yeah bruh..this came out months ago. The deal is,(the version I heard) if you have been out of work for over two years,employers will not be hiring you. It was also said that the lawyers we checking into it to make sure they we're violating people's rights. I don't think they cared because I know and hear this all the time now form actual people that is falling pray to it. It is no joke bruh.

Peace!

3. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    It is commonly known that it is always easier to get a job, when you have a job. So, I don't think this is anything new. There is some kind of stigma attacthed to people who are out of work because it is always thought that there must be a REASON the person is out of work. Even in a "down sizing", the though is "Why did HE/SHE get the boot? "

I can see this from both perspectives. I KNOW that good people do not usually stay out of work long. A few weeks ago, I just hired one of the best Mechanics I have had the pleasure of working with. The day he came in looking for a job, he had been out of work about two days. Good people are not going to sit around collecting unemployment until the benefits run out. Good people will be recognized as such by someone and snatched up before their competitors get him/her. Good people will recognize what the bring to the table and will seek out that match who values and rewards good people. Even in a down economy, employers NEED good people who help to keep them competitive and efficient. If you are that kind of employee, I promise you, you will not be out of work long.

Now, for a company to run an ad essentially saying the "out of work" need not apply.....that's either DUMB or a clever way of discriminating. I believe the thought process behind that is that Black people are often thought of as being chronically unemployed and therefore many can be eliminated by this rediculous requirement.

4. nixprophet

nixprophet Psalms 82:6 MEMBER

Young Black Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +357
    My thoughts and Prayers go out to all of my Warriors of The Struggle coming out of Prison who will fall subject to this type of Devilish none sense, as well as all the Older Folks who have to strap up their boots because of the current economy...

As well as the younger ones who might never be given a Chance and eventually due to neglect might resort to taking penitentiary chances..

Keep Your heads up... Brains + Your Dollar + My Dollar = We can start our own business and say F these Devils...

Peace.. Peace..

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    i'll stack that one up beside all the other junk that you know…….

6. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    LOL, you know quite a bit of stuff yourself. :)

James...I just want you to know, I love you like a brother....you make for good comedic relief.

7. Proverbs31Woman

Proverbs31Woman Be kinder than necessary! MEMBER

Ratings:
    +879
    Oh my Brother Full Speed, I have to disagree big time with some of your statements. There is a paradigm shift happening and coupled with racism, it results with this rising unemployment rate for Blacks which is around 17.5% vs. the 9.10% national rate. To further explain, many well to do folks have dropped to middle class and middle class is now considered the working poor, many homeless folks have degrees and have owned businesses. With more white folks looking for work and majority of businesses being owned and operated by white folks and a rise in hispanic population and businesses (they will hire their own before one of us, I see it happen too many times where I live), in my opinion, we are being shut out of many opportunities that once were there for us as the white folks gain stability FIRST and hispanics beat the system.

There are MANY good, valuable, dependable Black workers with degrees who lost good paying jobs/careers. These folks are attending hundreds of job fairs, looking in the paper, perusing on-line, submitting resumes and applications, and doing this on the daily and are NOT GETTIN HIRED. Many of them fit the qualities you outlined and have been without work for years. In many instances, they are hired only to be laid off due to companies downsizing.

Yes, there are some folks out there wanting the easy street, but that segment isn't the majority.

http://www.economist.com/node/18618613

Edited: Link added

8. super

super Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +45
    Excellent Post !! and too many Blacks give up too easily after looking during a short duration.

9. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    and you know this how?

10. super

super Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +45
    Because they drop out of the job market or just collect their unemployment checks. Good people who are aggressive don't stay unemployed long. I lost my job several times and went to temporary agencies and managed to impress the employer/client enough to hire me as a permanent employee. I have done this on several occasions while other Blacks I knew just gave up or just collect unemployment checks. Sometime one need to start at the bottom and work his way back to the top ... and many Blacks find it to be insulting.