Black People : "The New Black".. on same-sex marriage and the African American community in Maryland.

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by skuderjaymes, Nov 24, 2013.

1. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    The New Black Official Trailer

2. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    Must everything be "the new black"?

Homosexuals wanting to marry each other is one thing.
    I take exception to the idea that their struggle is to be
    equated with black struggle.

3. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    let's not forget that.. although we have attempted to build esteem on top of "black", their is nothing positive about that label.. and certainly nothing worthy of defense... in my opinion.. it does not describe us.. it is simply an insensitive inaccurate moniker.. and as far as I'm concerned.. anyone that wants it, can have it.. and all the things associated with it.

that aside..

from what I can see, the trailer is not so much about that.. it appears to be about the struggle within this community in Maryland.. it comes across to me as a battle of ideals.. the ideals of religious doctrine versus the reality of variations in human social relationships. If not for that book they worship, this would not be such an important issue. They don't mobilize like this over their kids getting killed in the streets.. or abused/raped and infected with diseases in the prisons.. or under-educated in the schools.. or brainwashed with negative images through the mainstream media. Who really cares who is married to who?.. especially amongst a people that don't even get married...

4. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    Totally agree.

I can only speculate why we don't mobilize on the more pressing issues.
    Some of which you have stated.

This is a bit off subject, but was talking to some folks about the tea-party. I said that however one feel about them, they
    have organized and have been quite an impact on the political scene. They aren't worried about being called racist or biggoted;
    I don't recall them even taking (or wasting) time to defend them selves in that regard.

Perhaps a documentary should be made to explore why black folk aren't organizing affectively these days, to get
    what we want.

5. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    This might be a good start.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Tv...a=X&ei=PeSSUurkE-roigKunYGoBw&ved=0CCgQ6AEwAA

6. I'm Becoming Me

I'm Becoming Me Well-Known Member MEMBER

Lover & Fighter...
    Ratings:
    +1,219
    This is where the the fundamentalist religious black folks and I bumps heads and where we fall completely out.

They don't get to determine what is considered a real marriage based on their personal religious beliefs and as we see, their personal opinions really are irrelevant when it comes to equality, period.

On one hand to some of the black community, I am cool and it is all good because I am black. But, my humanity is lessened when you discover I am a lesbian.

To respond to the thread, I don't know if I'd call all of this the 'new black' because we really don't need to label it that, but I'd call it a fight for equality , that is what it boils down to for me.

7. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    The New Black is a documentary that tells the story of how the African-American community is grappling with the gay rights issue in light of the recent gay marriage movement and the fight over civil rights. The film documents activists, families and clergy on both sides of the campaign to legalize gay marriage and examines homophobia in the black community’s institutional pillar—the black church and reveals the Christian right wing’s strategy of exploiting this phenomenon in order to pursue an anti-gay political agenda.
    http://www.newblackfilm.com/the-film/

8. I'm Becoming Me

I'm Becoming Me Well-Known Member MEMBER

Lover & Fighter...
    Ratings:
    +1,219
    There is so much hypocrisy within the religious community that I honestly just have to laugh sometimes; it is actually funny at this point, when many of the same ones are closeted or bisexual themselves.

Fundamentalism always makes a hypocrite out of the followers, always.

The same bible they used to justify slavery, sexism, racism, etc..they use to justify ostracizing another group of people based solely on what a book that God supposedly wrote says. *shaking my head*

9. candeesweet

candeesweet Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,019
    It's like
    "Don't crucify my God but I will and can choop your heart up and blow it out fast religiously."
    Leaves folks like me wondering which way is up. Won't someone pray tell.