Science and Technology : The neuroscience behind why white cops kill black men

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Clyde C Coger Jr, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079
    In the Spirit of Implicit Racism,

The neuroscience behind why white cops kill black men

... What needs to be understood by the prosecutors of such cases, and by the public at large, is the distinction between explicit and implicit racism. Where explicit racism is intentional and conscious, implicit racism involves a subconscious bias that causes one to treat members of other races unequally. Implicit racism likely plays a significant role in many of the cases involving white cops shooting black males, and it is also likely that these cops genuinely believe they hold no prejudice at all. In other words, white police officers may perceive black males to be a threat for behaving in ways that wouldn’t seem suspicious for white males. In fact, an overwhelming number of studies from the fields of neuroscience and psychology provide evidence to support this notion ...

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/12/the-neuroscience-behind-why-white-cops-kill-black-men/

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Thank You Thank You x 1
    • List
  2. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,137
    A friend of mine is in law enforcement. He is getting his graduate degrees in criminal justice. He says all the text books describe a criminal as a black male, essentially. We are viewed/defined by academia as suspect and criminal. This is an indoctrination that has more to do with brain washing that facts or biology.

3. Barry Irving

Barry Irving Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +37

4. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079

We are in complete agreement except my views on Reparations are different from yours, in that, its not a matter of some wanting it and others do not, its a debt owed, regardless; its the one thing all of us should be in agreement with, deserved Reparations.

Payment of said debt answers the question of how they come to realize they have inherited privilege ...

"...the question is how do they repay us? - from our diverse perspective - we don't all want reparations...or handouts. How do they come to realize that they have inherited privilege and first consideration against us...even if they don't know it?"

5. Barry Irving

United States
    Ratings:
    +37
    ...lets just disagree on that and move on. As I said in another post, Reparations will be the social / political death of anyone who takes it. Millions will not...many more will not qualify...corruption and backlash will be off the hook and those who accept it will be forever branded as the "reparations people" hounded, criticized, and followed for eternity - and graded as successes, failures and absolute disasters. It will absolutely divide us to immeasurable degrees.

...it's a problem when a historian or intellectual decides what any member of a free will society ( America ) is owed and what they should agree on. I for one ( I am not alone by far ) would not even consider taking it. You just can't say with any authority what everyone of us deserved after centuries of despicable behavior from america. They can't even say that. The nature of man is to dominate and subjugate the weaker...however weak is defined.

6. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079

Thought you wanted to move on and agree to disagree?

Continued presentation of your point of view on Reparations isn't moving on.

But I digress, you fully understand where I'm coming from.

7. Barry Irving

United States
    Ratings:
    +37
    ...this is moving on...we are not going to waste time debating this because we are so different on it. I thought you might see that I wanted to, but your statement had me saying to myself...you gott'a say something...

8. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079

I see ... But our positions are clearly diametrically opposed, it would make no sense to debate Reparations, I digress because of that.

9. Barry Irving

United States
    Ratings:
    +37
    ...I don't feel that it would be a debate. A debate is concessional. We would be having a cordial argument at first...emphatically making points up and over riding the opponents strong points with counter points. If two are respectful of each other, there will be an exciting exchange. That's Philosophy on the high road...there is no end just spin.

...On the low road, it would be insult and sarcasm. I'm particularly good at both because I'm elder and experienced. Intellectualism is fun and engaging activity...enlightening. I can be a point maker...break it down...I only do that against sarcasm, racists, the obviously ignorant.

...Diametrically Opposed is one of those terms that can give a brother some issues
    ( not me )... it's finite. Now a philosopher is going to spot that and counter it with something else that is TRUE! ...I hate that....not hate, hate...annoying hate! Don't misunderstand that last point. I'm talking about the fact that I could have just accepted your finish...but I couldn't...It didn't make sense not to respond. It's the way you put it - and I look at how many rounds you want to go. It'll be pretty clear.

...The Problem is that you will probably want to again reassert your POV and then run your Destee mobile and your call...that's pretty much a gad fly.

10. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079

At this point, the pursuit for Reparations is more than a debate and cordial argument for me. Moreover, none of my positions inside this Thread have changed since it's inception, April 29, 2010:

Reparations Movement Growing Strong...Closer than you think
    Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by Clyde C Coger Jr, Apr 29, 2010

https://destee.com/threads/reparations-movement-growing-strong-closer-than-you-think.61773/

So, I'm working for Reparations, while you argue against Reparations, these counter productive measures are in serious conflict. For instance, those that would reject a
    Reparations check doesn't bother me, at all; whereas, you argue in support of their right not to accept restitution.

At the end of the day, my goal is not to argue with Black folk about Reparations, but to relentlessly pursue restitution for descendants of slaves of those forced to provide free-labor in the building of America.

Nevertheless, I invite you to post your concerns to the above Thread, since this Thread is about implicit racism, not Reparations. Any further conversation about Reparations would continue to be off-topic.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. neuroscience results white men fear black men