Black Sports : The Negro League - Why Did it Die - Why Hasn't There Been Like Efforts ?

Peace and Blessings Family,

Why did the Negro League die?

Why hasn't there been more like efforts, given that black men overwhelm professional sports?

The NBA, NFL, etc., are primarily white owned entities, yet they'd fail without black players ... (i think).

So why hasn't there been a primarily owned black entity doing the same, successfully?

I know i'm not the only one that has thot of this ... so what's up ... anyone know?

Thanks in advance.

:heart:

Destee

peace

It's like with Hip hop that turned into 'Rap'. They are called rappers NOW, but back in the day they referred to themselves as MC's.

The white boys came in and threw some money to STEAL players from the Negroe Leagues which caused those leagues to slowly fade away. In all sports, it is the same situation. Someone once (a white guy i think) started an alternative league for football and even he was crushed by other whites already established in the NFL. Since there are black OWNERS now in a few sports and almost every quarterback on a team is BLACK, i think we are slowly reversing time and moving back towards owning our own Leagues.

One must remember though, to run a league you also need sponsors which allows you to pay those insane contracts for the players. You need concession stands like starbuch's, Micky D's, Dunkin Doughnuts and such to generate more capital. Most of those are owned and operated by white boys who won't want to do business with you or have anything to do with your 'Negroe League'. You'll also need LAND which is more than likely owned by white boys who will want to know what you plan on using it for. (you know how nosey they can be when a black person wants to buy something and most of us don't have the nerve to just say MIND YO DAM BIZINESS) Some of us saw '42'. WHat wasn't placed in the movie was the fact that he was often late to the playing field on the day of a game because he was sitting in the locker room in his draws waiting for his uniform to be cleaned because they wouldn't put his uniform in the wash with the rest of his white teamates because they didn't want to get any of that 'black stuff' on them.

Also, don't forget that these black players are under SLAVE CONTRACTS that they HAVE TO fulfill first.

Just as when we try to turn our youth away from gang activities and selling drugs that they are making alot of money doing. You're going to have to have something to replace it with that will satisfy them to the point these players will want to stop playing in the Nfl, NBA & MLB and come and play in an all black and Latino league. It's very important not to leave out our Latino family because as bro. O mentioned we already have history in sports with them because we used to spar with them often back in the day and with them comes the revenue we seek to be able to stay a float. Like i said sometime ago in another thread "you are sooner to see a brother rocking a Robinson Cano, Victor Cruz or a Big poppy Jersey than the jersey of a black ball player".

So, it can be done but it would have to start in private and not let anyone know what's going on until the teams are established.

Btw, here in NYC, we DO HAVE AN ALL BLACK LEAGUE and have had it since before i was born. It's games are played at Rucker Holcomb park in Harlem. Anyone who is anyone in the NBA has to come there to prove they belong in the NBA and some of the players who started at the Ruckers have made it to the NBA. The Nba players admit that it's the hardest court, crowd and games they have ever played in and against. Some of them come there and just get straight embarrased.

http://ebcruckerpark.com/ebc-history/

Kevin durant the night he dropped 66 pts.
th

"Skip to my lou" (Rafer Alston)

Lou vs Nate robinson of the nba

[

I haven't read the whole thread yet (is there a way to change my user options to display more than 5 posts per page by the way, Destee?), so maybe someone's mentioned this already. But during the recent NBA and NFL labor negotiations, I kept asking friends who follow football and basketball why the players kept holding these talks and strikes instead of just having their own league. They can afford it. What value do the club owners bring? None that the players can't exercise themselves or hire out for. No one gave me a convincing answer.

Not long after that, a related subject came up in conversation with a friend of mine who runs a management consultancy down in Louisiana. He said one of the players from the local NFL team had been referred to him. The player had done some equity and debt agreements that didn't work out and he wanted to engage my buddy's company to do investment advisory. I congratulated my friend, then asked him who was banking for major league athletes in his area. He said he didn't know. I told him I hadn't heard of any national or other local operations tapping that cash either. I asked him if any of the well-known African American IBs or money managers had set up funds or were doing wealth advisory for Af Am major league athletes, and if not, why. He said he hadn't heard of any of the African American investment banks doing that, but that some young euro kid in the area had recently told him that the euro kid had set up a fund investing the cash of local upper-middle to upper income African Americans including many of the local major league athletes into continental African companies. My friend asked the euro why these folks would put their money with him instead of African American money managers. The euro said that many of the athletes with accounts at his company had tried to place their cash with African American money managers, but that those money managers didn't take them seriously.

Now, this is a second-hand (even fifth-hand) story, my friend is an African American republican and notorious for fudging details in conversation, and his source was some pink boy. And I'd put my money on it that if I asked well-known Af Am money managers directly, their story would be different (and less negative, I'd bet). But with African American communities having the largest number of millionaires per capita in the US -- and a significant chunk of those millionaires being major league athletes, -- while structural unemployment and underemployment of 25-33% and lax security that allows anti-African racist criminals to continually attempt to harass, assault, even murder African American boys and girls and sometimes men and women persists, something is definitely going on here.

The reason I write this in response to your question about the old baseball clubs, Destee, is that these problems are of a piece by all appearances. No (or few?) exclusively African American-owned and staffed professional sports clubs, major league African American athletes with super-human skill and ingenuity arguing with mostly non-African managers over salaries and working conditions, high income African Americans not investing as well or as much as they should in exclusively African American and other African companies, and African American money managers refusing to take high income African Americans' money. These problems are of a piece. The common thread is ideology -- in this case, white man's ice is colder ideology. And more specifically, the lack of an explicit, muscular, unabashed pro-African, Africans-first and Africans-only, African power ideology. Garveyism in short.

We have simply given too much running room to DuBoisianism and its arch-integrationism and accomodationism. And we've allowed more colloquial and simplistic popular ideologies like 'love thy enemy,' 'turn the other cheek,' 'forgive and forget,' (often borrowed from the middle eastern Judeo Christian religion I and most other African Americans adhere to) to root themselves into the popular imagination in our communities with too few and infrequent challenges to their porousness and the damage they're doing to African American interests.

I'm not saying baseball players need to become politicians. But unless an at least implicit deliberate and rigorous Africans-only objective underlies a league like Destee's hoped-for resurrection of the Negro Leagues, it will never materialize. Because the motive that gave rise to [most of] the old baseball clubs -- state-mandated segregation -- has largely disappeared.

peace

It's like with Hip hop that turned into 'Rap'. They are called rappers NOW, but back in the day they referred to themselves as MC's.

The white boys came in and threw some money to STEAL players from the Negroe Leagues which caused those leagues to slowly fade away. In all sports, it is the same situation. Someone once (a white guy i think) started an alternative league for football and even he was crushed by other whites already established in the NFL. Since there are black OWNERS now in a few sports and almost every quarterback on a team is BLACK, i think we are slowly reversing time and moving back towards owning our own Leagues.

One must remember though, to run a league you also need sponsors which allows you to pay those insane contracts for the players. You need concession stands like starbuch's, Micky D's, Dunkin Doughnuts and such to generate more capital. Most of those are owned and operated by white boys who won't want to do business with you or have anything to do with your 'Negroe League'. You'll also need LAND which is more than likely owned by white boys who will want to know what you plan on using it for. (you know how nosey they can be when a black person wants to buy something and most of us don't have the nerve to just say MIND YO DAM BIZINESS) Some of us saw '42'. WHat wasn't placed in the movie was the fact that he was often late to the playing field on the day of a game because he was sitting in the locker room in his draws waiting for his uniform to be cleaned because they wouldn't put his uniform in the wash with the rest of his white teamates because they didn't want to get any of that 'black stuff' on them.

Also, don't forget that these black players are under SLAVE CONTRACTS that they HAVE TO fulfill first.

Just as when we try to turn our youth away from gang activities and selling drugs that they are making alot of money doing. You're going to have to have something to replace it with that will satisfy them to the point these players will want to stop playing in the Nfl, NBA & MLB and come and play in an all black and Latino league. It's very important not to leave out our Latino family because as bro. O mentioned we already have history in sports with them because we used to spar with them often back in the day and with them comes the revenue we seek to be able to stay a float. Like i said sometime ago in another thread "you are sooner to see a brother rocking a Robinson Cano, Victor Cruz or a Big poppy Jersey than the jersey of a black ball player".

So, it can be done but it would have to start in private and not let anyone know what's going on until the teams are established.

Btw, here in NYC, we DO HAVE AN ALL BLACK LEAGUE and have had it since before i was born. It's games are played at Rucker Holcomb park in Harlem. Anyone who is anyone in the NBA has to come there to prove they belong in the NBA and some of the players who started at the Ruckers have made it to the NBA. The Nba players admit that it's the hardest court, crowd and games they have ever played in and against. Some of them come there and just get straight embarrased.

http://ebcruckerpark.com/ebc-history/

Kevin durant the night he dropped 66 pts.
th

"Skip to my lou" (Rafer Alston)

Lou vs Nate robinson of the nba

[

I was with you until 'Black and latino, we gotta let the hispanics in.' Like the hispanics in LA attempting a genocide of whole African American neighborhoods? Or the hispanics happily making Af Ams a minority in Harlem?

Please excuse me in advance for being forward, but this urge some of our folks have to always wanna let somebody, ANYBODY else in is at the root of the problem. 45 million African Americans. 1.25 Africans globally. How many Af Am professional atheletes? I figure that's enough uniting to do for a lifetime.

Unless they're Afri-latino, I don't see any reason why they or anyone else should be allowed into an African American league.

I was with you until 'Black and latino, we gotta let the hispanics in.' Like the hispanics in LA attempting a genocide of whole African American neighborhoods? Or the hispanics happily making Af Ams a minority in Harlem?

Please excuse me in advance for being forward, but this urge some of our folks have to always wanna let somebody, ANYBODY else in is at the root of the problem. 45 million African Americans. 1.25 Africans globally. How many Af Am professional atheletes? I figure that's enough uniting to do for a lifetime.

Unless they're Afri-latino, I don't see any reason why they or anyone else should be allowed into an African American league.

peace

If you read me correctly, i was mentioning allowing our Latino family in due to the fact they were there with us in the beginning, as Bro. O mentioned. We used to play against them in Puerto Rico and Cuba, as well as Cuba, all of whom had their own leagues as well. So there is no 'let them in' attitude. They were already in until, AS I SAID the white boy started throwin all of this money around. Some of our Latino family played in the negroe Leagues, so it would be wise to do the knowledge before you cast judgement.

You talk about genocides in La and Harlem, but those battles are not one sided. At least not in Harlem! You get rid of the white man (whose supplying the weapons and drugs) in the equation, as in the same context as my post you quoted and the problem in LA, Harlem and wherever else goes away.

peace

If you read me correctly, i was mentioning allowing our Latino family in due to the fact they were there with us in the beginning, as Bro. O mentioned. We used to play against them in Puerto Rico and Cuba, as well as Cuba, all of whom had their own leagues as well. So there is no 'let them in' attitude. They were already in until, AS I SAID the white boy started throwin all of this money around. Some of our Latino family played in the negroe Leagues, so it would be wise to do the knowledge before you cast judgement.

You talk about genocides in La and Harlem, but those battles are not one sided. At least not in Harlem! You get rid of the white man (whose supplying the weapons and drugs) in the equation, as in the same context as my post you quoted and the problem in LA, Harlem and wherever else goes away.

No, I understood your point, I simply don't share your position.

And I don't know of any genocide in Harlem, but I haven't read any reports that suggest LA hispanics are angels who are attempting to murder African American children only because some unnamed euro is making them.

As I said, if they're Afri-latino, that's one thing. But I and (I'd bet) most African Americans don't consider those other [non Afri-] hispanics family. That you and some others do significantly contributes to the problem Destee's highlighting.

Anyway, apologies for the heated response, like I said. It's a tough subject.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back