Black Sports : The Negro League - Why Did it Die - Why Hasn't There Been Like Efforts ?

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by Destee, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,691
    Peace and Blessings Family,

Why did the Negro League die?

Why hasn't there been more like efforts, given that black men overwhelm professional sports?

The NBA, NFL, etc., are primarily white owned entities, yet they'd fail without black players ... (i think).

So why hasn't there been a primarily owned black entity doing the same, successfully?

I know i'm not the only one that has thot of this ... so what's up ... anyone know?

Thanks in advance.

:heart:

Destee

2. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,587

Integration.

http://www.negroleaguebaseball.com/faq/record0005.html

3. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,587
    My grandfather Art Demery played with a few negro leagues teams but there were other "colored" teams across the country which did not belong to the negro leagues. World War II also had an effect on the decline because there were traveling teams that played against teams from Cuba, Puerto Rico and Japan.

Here is a book which mentions the team grandpa played for in Bakersfield before he was drafted into the Dodgers farm system.

http://books.google.com/books?id=pc...X&ei=O7BoUsXfIoa4igKQg4CYAQ&ved=0CDwQ6AEwBjgK

Since the Japanese internment placed limits on Japanese players black teams used to play against them in internment camps. This is why later California major league teams started drafting Japanese players. Some of the first blacks to break into MLB knew them very well because they played with them in the off season in semi pro or municipal leagues.

4. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,587
  5. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,691

Integration of what Brother O ... the negro league ... japanese league ... or white leagues ... ??

What keeps the idea of a "negro league" being put on the table now?

Entities owned and managed by black people ... since black people do the work.

Why not now?

Love You and Thanks!

Destee

6. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,587

The gaps in Grandpa's career was due to not only WWII but the Korean war as well. It was difficult for teams to survive during war times.

http://m.bbref.com/m?p=XXnlbXXplayer.cgiQQid=demery002art&t=2

7. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,691
    I mention the Negro League in the title and stuff ... but it's the concept that i'm speaking to.

Baseball was the only one that went as far as to have their own league.

No black football league ... no black basketball league ... i don't believe.

While the talent is clearly black ... these white leagues survive due directly to black talent.

So what's up ... why no black leagues today ... ??

Surely i'm not the only one that has thunk of this of late ... :thinking:

Destee

8. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,587

Did you read the article? It's self explanatory. Like I said, with integration into Major League Baseball black players earned more money as their families were trying to recover from war times. The negro leagues always had financial problems and players were relatively poor.

These are different times. Baseball is no longer the "leading pastime" among blacks when it comes to sports. So, there is not enough interest for a black league to be economically viable.

9. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,691

Okay ... thanks ... and no ... i didn't read the article ... i really wanted what you gave above ... a brief summation kinda explaining it all in easy to understand terms ... :) ... thanks.

Okay ... one could earn more money working for the white people ... and that's what they did.

Which in turn ... kills the black effort ... they can't pay the same as whites ... deliver like whites ... okay.

That's kinda how our business efforts go it seems ... making them sub-standard in many cases.

Oftentimes, they don't have the financial resources, or resources in general, that white entities do.

I guess if there were a black football league or black basketball league ... it'd be hard going for them.

The best players would go where the money is ... naturally ... so they could earn the most.

Even HBCU's get this sub-standard energy ... not considered the best when compared to white schools.

I guess it's just the way it is ... i guess.

Thanks Brother O.

Love You!

Destee

10. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,587
    This is from the Wikipedia. I know this topic very well because Grandpa played with virtually all of the black players within the Dodger organization mentioned below.

In March 1945, the white majors created the Major League Committee on Baseball Integration. Its members included Joseph P. Rainey, Larry MacPhail and Branch Rickey. Because MacPhail, who was an outspoken critic of integration, kept stalling, the committee never met. Under the guise of starting an all-black league, Rickey sent scouts all around the United States, Mexico and Puerto Rico, looking for the perfect candidate to break the color line. His list eventually was narrowed down to three, Roy Campanella, Don Newcombe and Jackie Robinson.