Black Sports : The NBA now

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by kente417mojo, Feb 20, 2004.

1. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    What do you guys think about the way that the NBA is going? Do you think that it's a sport full of babies and guys getting paid millions to play half-*** ball? My opinion is just that. I think that the sport is not as good as it used to be. The players aren't as good. They don't play as hard. The get paid more than they are worth. What are your views? I do like basketball, and there are guys who want to play and genuinely leave a respectable mark on the sport, but it bothers me to see the direction the sport is going?

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I'm divided about the money issue. These guys get paid a ridiculous amont of money in reality, but the money is there (or else the owners wouldn't give it to them). If the athletes aren't getting all that money, then it would be going into the owner's pockets (who the people don't come to see). In other words, if the money is there, then the athletes deserve to get their piece. However, this does create the problem of NBA players working more for the money than the "Love of the Game". The lack of skills, poor shooting, and weak defense makes the NBA a lot more boring to me than it used to. I am biased though....I grew up in Chicago during the Michael Jordan era, and to me nothing can compare to those days!!

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    indeed i've watch the game from the old golden days
    when Dr.J // Magic and Bird , Jordan and real players
    was in it for the love of the game not the money
    the Van-lier and Gilmore and many great legends
    but today the game is about money !!!
    the work they display showboating and all the fancy
    stuff for entertainment , the leauge need to stop caressing
    these players so young and allow then to finish school first
    before entering the NBA
    what's next they gonna get them from Grade school too ?
    i mean i love to see then get ahead and rise but the true game
    is not in them yet at such young age so much more to learn
    but good luck NBA !

4. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34
    I agree, they should make players wait until 21 to enter the NBA. James Worthy made that point the other day during a game and I totally agree. As far as the money, I agree also, if they don't get it..who will. I do think that there should be someting in place to where you have to be in certain shape to even get paid. A lot of these guys report for games and they look like slobs. I also think they should get more strict with the amount of crying during games. Everytime these guys miss a shot they turn and cry to the ref. It get's to be a headache watching these games. Everytime I see a Laker game Kobe is crying if someone blocks his shot or if he misses a shot. Iverson too. Everyone plays to get fouled now. No one wants to actually make a shot on their own anymore. Even on defense, no one blocks shots anymore. Eveyone wants to stand in the way of the ball and fall down and look toward the ref. These players spend more time on the floor than standing on 2 feet. Players now days bad mouth the refs...saying that they try to take over games. If you play ball and defense without looking for the refs to bail you out every play then this wouldn't happen. They want to shoot free throws all game to get their 20 or so points, but they want the refs to let the foul that they commit go at the end of the game. It's a double standard. Play ball and stop crying. I do think that there are good players still, but they definately do not and will not compare to the players of the past. I do hope it gets better in the future because like the commercial says.....I love this game.

5. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    yes you making a strong point because the fouls a game is like 50
    when it use to be maybe 20 fouls the whole game this how the game
    has become a showboat type of thing a real show will the real players please
    stand up and play basketball and respect the game i mean to get paid by game
    every game these guys should get paid and not all this millions of dollars stuff
    this only push folks to push kids into the sports and forget about schooling
    yeap i agree with you on this
    fouls
    money
    refs
    help
    not basketball
    wow!! the game is now a showcase for the fans no D no pure shooters just
    toss it up and goodluck if not hey ref help i was foul for 2 shots ....man !

6. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34
    I just watch the Laker game versus the Kings last night and the Lakers lost. Now, we all know Webber and Brad Miller didn't play. Neither did Karl Malone. This will be interesting come playoff time if these two teams face eachother if they are both healthy. Who do you think will be the team in the West and the East in the playoffs? Who will get MVP and Playoff MVP. Who will win it all. Predictions?

7. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    too soon to say but the KINGS are a far better team then the LAKERS and when both is healthy look out !!! right now the WEST is very talented and strong there will be some good teams for the playoffs , KINGS and T' Wolves are top contenders with SPURS , LAKERS , MAVS, DENVER NUGGETS & MEMPHIS going to upset some people the sleepers in the WEST

in the EAST the NETS are red hot with the KNICKS on the move but the top teams to beat here will be the PACERS & PISTONS the EAST is weak any team can slip into the
    playoffs before season end but look for the PACERS , NETS, PISTONS, KNICKS with
    NEW ORLEANS to be the first five and if the CAVS don't step it up we won't be seeing
    the first round #1 choice L.JAMES sleepers can be CELTICS, CAVS,76ERS

and MVP is a host of many at this point with T.Duncan , K. Garnett , J.Kidd , Shaq ,
    Nowitzki, Finley , Stojakovic ,Bryant to name a few that's having a good year so far

all this too soon to tell or say but the break down coming soon !

8. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Overpaid.

Overhyped.

Overexposed.

9. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    Rules too strict,
    Referees egos too big,
    Wonderful Athleticism,
    Marquee Players underpaid.. they should have equity positions with
    their teams. Lebron would never have left Cleveland if they offered him
    a partnership.

10. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Overrated?

Wow... the Clippers beat the Heat. lol!

:drink:

How far will Miami really go with a WEAK Carlos Arroyo at point guard?

Only ONE assist against the Clippers! lol!