Black Sports : THE MYTH OF THE GREAT NYC POINT GUARD...

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by Isaiah, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Where did it start??? I can only tell you where it ended... Can you say Stephon Marbury???

It probably started with Bob Cousy, **** McGuire, and these people... Jews and the Irish dominated basketball in NYC in the early days... Moving on forward in to the 1960's, Guy Rodgers and Lenny Wilkens were pretty good players that moved they myth along, and then came Tiny Archibald and Charlie Scott, who were great players... But that's about where this mythology ended... NYC hasn't produced a GREAT point guard in 30 years or more... There are plenty of players who've played the position on NBA teams, but they are so far from great it aint even funny any more...

Let's see...Tommy Henderson, Kenny Smith, Kenny Anderson, Dwayne "Pearl" Washington, Mark Jackson, Rod Strickland, Jamaal Tinsley... Who's great up in that piece??? Marbury may have the most natural talent of 'em all(next to Strickland), but he's a head case and a big spoiled baby... He's the prodigal son of the Coney Island Marbury family, who tried, unsuccessfully, to get a son into the NBA for years... Eric and Don Marbury came first... I went to school with them(at Lincoln HighSchool in Brooklyn), but they were, at best, good college players... Stephon erased all of their disappointments and failures, though... He made it, but he's a knucklehead...

Listen, if Larry Brown can turn Chauncey into "big shot" Billups, then he can work with Stephon who is a much better passer than Chauncey, and actually knows the position better... The difference is Chauncey is willing to listen, and be coached, where Steph aint... He's been bigged up too much over the years... The city adopted him much in the way the Marbury family made him the Saviour... He believed the hype about himself, instead of working on himself as a person and human being... For me, he personifies the mythology behind the "great NYC point guard..."

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    pearl washington was the biggest bust in the nba the orangemen ever had...
    one of my new york friends said they saw him riding around in a limo with 6 or 7 cheeseburgers riding with him...:lol:
    but man..... he had some godly handles in college...smh

i agree...it is a myth...

one love
    khasm

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    It definately ended with Stephon (peanut head) Marbury, no doubt about that. I'm sure Kevin Garnett laughs every time he reads the paper.

4. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Actually, brother Khasm, the city has produced better shooting guards than point guards -Lloyd (World B.) Free, Vinnie Johnson, Rolando Blackman, Jerry "Ice" Reynolds, Albert King, Chris Mullin, and Roger Brown, to name a few... And some all-world forwards, like Bernard King, Connie Hawkins, and Julius Erving...but the emphasis seems to be on trying to promote the "intelligence" of these point guards over the athleticism of the forwards(LAUGH!) Listen to Kareem, or Bernard, or Julius Erving talk, and then have a listen to Stephon and Kenny Anderson...LOL! Go figure...

Now, in fairness to Kenny Anderson, he was on his way to becoming a star, and a great player until he broke his wrist... He was never the same after that, and all the trades made him a kind of journeyman player... Kenny kind of reminded me of another great point guard who played in the '70's and '80's outta Mount Vernon, New York, Gus "the wizard" Williams... Gus, whose brother is Ray Williams, another sensational athlete who played a lotta years in the NBA, broke in with the World Champion Golden State Warriors, and was rookie of the year playing the point for injured Phil Smith, the previous year's rookie of the year... When Smith got well, the Warriors traded Gus to the Seattle SuperSonics, where he teamed with "Downtown" Freddie Brown, to form a championship backcourt for another great NYC point guard, Lenny Wilkens... Gus was about 6-1, and had crazy handle, hops, and shooting ability... Not the passer the Kenny was, but a better athlete... Only problem is, Mount Vernon, though on the borderline of the Bronx, in Westchester County, is not considered "NYC", but upstate New York... Rodney and Scooter McCray, and Steve Burtt are also from that area...

Brother Pan, where you been Podna???!(smile!)

Peace!
    Isaiah

5. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Maybe Lamar Odom is the next great NYC Point Guard???(smile!) Where would the city of Los Angeles be without great NYC players, Like Lamar and Kareem???(smile!) I'll let the L.A. people tell me what time it is...LOL!

Peace!
    Isaiah

6. Deepvoice

Deepvoice Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    I didn't know Lamar Odom was from NYC, I know some of his cousins from NC.

7. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Yes sire, Brother, Lamar is from Brooklyn, New York...

Peace!
    Isaiah