Pan Africanism : The Myth of the Black African Slave Trade

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Sekhemu, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    By Ayanna www.rootswomen.com/ayanna

Islam, Colourism and the Myth of Black African Slave Traders

Africans in the Diaspora have the challenge of rewriting history that as been stained by years of distortions, ommision and downright lies. One of the biggest challenges of rewriting this history has been the Atlantic Slave Trade, and one of the biggest sore points has been the idea that "Black Africans sold their own into slavery". A lack of information, a paucity of expansive scholarship and an unwillingness to have a serious discourse on Colourism as it existed in Africa even before European intervention, has contributed to this. Diaspora Africans are often quite naive and will do anything to hold fast to the illusion that "we are all Africans" and ignore the racism that has existed among a group that is far from uniform.

In looking at the issue of Colourism I could not help seeing the links between the role of Islam in Africa adn the role of Africans in the slave trade. The book, "Islam and the Ideology of Slavery" by John Ralph Willis is very helpful in looking at the almost imperceptible link between the enslavement of "kufir" Non-muslims or infidels, and the belief that Black Africans were not only heathens but inherently inferior. This is not a new thought and certainly not one that originated with the muslims coming into Africa.

The story of Tippu Tip who is one of the most widely known slave traders has always posed a problem for historians, especially Afrocentric historians in the diaspora trying to find some way to reconcile themselves to the idea of an "African Slave trader". The fact that Tippu Tip was not only Muslim, but a "mulatto" is vital. The common ideology of judaism and islam where Black Africans are concerned is certainly no secret. While some in Islamic writings we see an almost mystical reverence to Africans, especially an over sexualized concept of Ethiopian women who were the preferred concubines of many wealthy Arab traders and kings, others there is distinct racism. Add to this the religious fervor of the muslim invaders, their non-acceptance or regard for traditional African religions, and the obvious economic and political desires for which religion was used as a tool, and we get an excellent but little spoken of picture of Islam in Africa.

2. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382

I have no problem with the idea that Africans were involved in the slave trade. I understand the deep psychological impact of religious doctrine and the effects it can have even on our visual perception. I have even heard brothers here tell me that they are not black or African....they Muslim. In other words, in their mind, because I wasn't a Muslim they were basically letting me know that if they ran into a white guy who said "la illa ha illallah' that he would have sided with that white guy before he would have with me. Therefore in Africa I can easily see the same indoctrination having taken place that would have obscured any vision of other Africans being the same as they were....and as such, there wouldn't have been a bit of guilt or conscious remorse about what they were doing to people who looked as they did.

3. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    If we are to rewrite history then we must write with honesty. And let us not mistake self recrimination and negative introspection for honesty. In fact our task is not to rewrite his-story but to write our-story. His story does not need to be rewritten but it does need to be exposed for what it is--a cesspool of undigested lies. We must write with Alka seltzer, Pepto Bismol and Milk of Magnesia to help the world and ourselves digest the truth. We are not writing for the white man or trying to come up with something to win his approval and respect. We must write for ourselves, for our children and for the posterity of the world.

This man is right. The fact that these so-called African slave traders were muslim mulattoes is vital to diffusing the consternation that a half truth has left us with.

4. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

:bullseye:

5. abdurratln

abdurratln Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +153
    No one should be surprised. Islam is about the Unity of GOD. Those who do not believe are about dis-unity. Now, while we can try to find acommodation for non-believers and dis-believers please do not expect us to come down to your level.

It is a historical fact that the first Muslims were Black Africans. (May Allah be pleased with them all) And, the holy Prophet Muahamad (Peace and Blessins be upon him) was a direct descendant of a Black African named Hagar. (Peace and Blessings be upon him) Just deal with the facts.

6. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    Denying the African Holocaust

Excellent post Brother Sekhemu; I read that link about a year ago while researching slavery resources on the net.

Yesterday we had an interesting discussion in chat with a follower of noble drew ali who called himself a "moorish american."

One of his main points was that there were not any significant number of Africans shipped across the Atlantic and enslaved in the americas.

His contention is that most of us were already here, and the shipping technology didn't exist to have moved millions of black people.

Anyone have any knowledge of these type of theories?

I thought it sad the amazing lack of respect shown for our ancestors....in israel & in germany you can go to prison for denying the jewish holocaust.

7. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

Last year i visited my family's old neighborhood in the New Orleans 7th Ward. I never posted those pictures anywhere and I made a video/slideshow which I may post someday. I was kinda devastated by what I saw and had no stomach to go to the 9th Ward because the mold in the air was making me sick. So, instead i went for lunch on the riverwalk, took more pictures and was blown away by something i never expected.

The jewish holocaust memorial, in all places, on the New Orleans Riverwalk. The very same place where so many of Our ancestors were brought to the Congo Square and later shipped all over south and central america.

One of the biggest lies told is that small numbers of Our ancestors were brought to the shores of America.

However, i challenge all to study how many of Our folk were shipped far north into Nova Scotia, and later DOWN the Mississippi River. We seem to think that all of Our folk went North AFTER slavery but long before slavery was abolished massive numbers were already North.

In fact, many Africans had miscegenated with the Iroqui long before mixing with any southern tribal groups.

While I will not try to refute the teachings of Van Sertima, Rashidi or Legrand Clegg who have written extensively concerning the pre-columbian presence of Black folk in "Ta-Meri-Ka" [the names speaks for itself] it is a rather extreme position to assert that muslims had nothing to do with the slave trade when it is documented that they even traded white folks before 1492. Read the story of Thomas Pellow. JA Rogers gives extensive evidence of both the trade in black and white in his voluminous work Sex and Race and other texts.

Back to tha jewish holocaust memorial....they will never let us forget their experience but here some of us are denying our own holocaust.

This is shameful and disgusting!

8. Zulile

Zulile Well-Known Member MEMBER

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    kemetkind :heart: this topic has held me in shock for some time after that chat session - I never questioned the original theory! I've been doing some surface "research" and have come across several theorists who support the views expressed - although, as with all online searching, one can never validate the content written.. on the same coin, there are enough to warrent futher exploration of the topic. I'm hoping someone can recommend authors/books as reading tidbits here and there on the net is mentally exhausting!

I know little.. well. absolutely nothing of significance about Moors - so this is where I started - and yes. According to several sources they've been in the Americans not only before the white man, but before "slavery" - as explorers, traders etc. I've come across references across the slavery timeline about "Black Indians". I've come across references of white settlers using Blacks to assist in the eradication of Indians (before slavery). I've come across reports claiming that only when the europeans (UK/NL) tried to corner the market on slavery, did it become a booming business - but many were transported from Spanish/French colonies in the Americas who had Black established locations. and many, many more theories.

Of course - I'm taking this all with a grain of salt - BUT it is a very interesting topic which I'd like to look deeper into - with more legit means of information ;) But the question is certainly there. After what I'm learning about the powers of Religion playing a role in the worlds development - coupled with white supremacy.. nothing is beyond contemplating!

Yes - that chat session opened a whole new world of possibilities :)

9. Zulile

Zulile Well-Known Member MEMBER

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    Brother Keita. I am more of the belief that the term "slave trade" is used incorrectly. From what I understand, trading people in subsahara was a norm - often as spoils of war. When one tribe defeated another - what to do with the prisoners? they were not killed for sport (Humane) nor kept as long term prisoners (who would feed, cloth them) nor integrated into the tribe - as tribal culture runs deep. So often "POW's" were traded to other tribes for various goods. If this correct - then yes.. if someone foreigner comes along and offers a Clan chief something.. the first thing the Chief is going to give away are his prisoners. They are not "his people" as colour wasnt the dividing factor. but to a white/spaniard etc.. its a Black man selling a Black man.

Does that theory hold any water?

10. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    One theory I read mentioned that INDIANS easily adopted ISLAM and MUSLIM way of LIFE.

I also read that SAHARAN MUSLIM AFRICANS AND ARABS fought their WAY DOWN to the COASTS of WEST AFRICA to do BUSINESS with SLAVING EUROPEAN OUTPOSTS.

They were FURIOUS - (JIHAD) that EUROPEANS did not want to DO BUSINESS with THEM DIRECTLY ANYMORE and wanted to STOP IT because as TODAY its about MARKET SHARES.

Check the BUSINESS FORUM on a POST of a REPORT I mentioned.

If they FOUGHT their way DOWN to the COAST which OUR PEOPLE PUT UP STAUNCH RESISTANCE and CAUSUALTY there was not only an ATTACK of our ANCESTORS from the COAST but from the NORTH DESERT REGION as WELL making us EASY to be SHIPPED to the AMERICAS by the EUROPEANS because we EXHAUSTED our OFFENSE and DEFENSE.

Also there was many COLORED or MULLATO helping MAN THOSE SLAVE and EXPLORATION VESSELS. I wonder if any BACK GROUND was done on them. MANY of these COLORED I have read settled back into MOROCCO during the SLAVE TRADE.

So maybe they were the ONES to PICK UP some forces in NORTH AFRICA to TRAVEL SOUTH and to help with OUR DESTRUCTION.

I would say more I am talking JUNK anyway.

What is DONE cannot be UNDONE.

Oh well.