Black Spirituality Religion : THE MUSLIM JESUS...

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Aqil, May 31, 2004.

1. Aqil

Aqil Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +114
    Some years ago an agnostic friend of mine married a Jewish woman who practiced her faith seriously. He took instruction in Judaism and seemed quite likely to convert…but he didn’t. His chief reason was that he remained agnostic. But there was another obstacle that surprised him: "I found that I just did not want to give up Jesus."

In European culture, there is no getting away from Jesus even if you are agnostic. True, Nietzsche tried to reject him with detestation and contempt, calling him an "idiot"; a purveyor of a sick, decadent view of the world. Nietzsche thought that the only figure in the New Testament who commands respect is Pontius Pilate. Yet the very ferocity of Nietzsche's onslaught on Jesus showed how strong in his heart was the image he wanted to destroy.

Now what if my friend had married a Muslim woman? The interesting thing is that he could have kept Jesus – not the Jesus who was the Son of God, admittedly, and who was crucified, but certainly the Jesus who was Messiah and miracle worker who conversed regularly with God – who was born of a virgin and who ascended into Heaven.

Jesus is referred to quite often in the Holy Qur'an…six times under the title "Messiah." Yet I had long-supposed that the importance of Jesus as a prophet in Muslim tradition was not much more than a matter of lip-service…something to which Muslims gave notional, rather than real assent.

This impression was strengthened when another friend of mine told me that he went to the city of Ur in Iraq and visited the House of Abraham. He said that although it is only a few piles of sun-baked mud bricks, he expected to see hundreds of Muslims visiting the birthplace of the Patriarch. He said he saw none, whereas the shrines of Muslim martyrs in Najaf and Kerbala were thronged. He assumed, therefore, that Jesus must be a marginal figure in the Muslim world.

How wrong his assumption was I have learned by reading a fascinating and instructive book, The Muslim Jesus, by the Cambridge academic Tarif Khalidi. Professor Khalidi has brought together – from a vast range of sources – most of the stories, sayings and traditions of Jesus that are to be found in Muslim piety from the earliest times.

The Muslim Jesus (“Isa” in the Arabic language) is an ascetic, a man of voluntary poverty, humility and long-suffering. He literally turns the other cheek, allowing his face to be slapped twice in order to protect two of his disciples. He teaches the return of good for evil:

"Charity does not mean doing good to him who does good to you. Charity means that you should do good to him who does you harm."

He loves the poor and embraces poverty: "The day Jesus was raised to heaven, he left behind nothing but a woolen garment, a slingshot and two sandals." He preaches against attachment to worldly things:

"He who seeks worldly things is like the man who drinks sea water: the more he drinks, the more thirsty he becomes, until it kills him."

Many of the sayings of the Muslim Jesus are clearly derived from Biblical sources, such as:

“Place your treasures in heaven, for the heart of man is where his treasure is.”

“Look at the birds coming and going! They neither reap nor plough, and God provides for them.”

Sometimes there is a sort of gloss on words of Jesus from the Gospel:

“Oh disciples, do not cast pearls before swine, for the swine can do nothing with them. Wisdom is more precious than pearls, and whomever rejects wisdom is worse than a swine.”

He is certainly a wonder-worker. He often raises the dead, and gives his disciples power to do the same. More than once he comes across a skull and restores it to life…on one occasion granting salvation to a person who had been damned. The skulls – like everyone else in these stories – address Jesus as the "Spirit of God." Once he is even addressed as the "Word of God."

The greatness of Islam is that we combine Judaism and Christianity. Jesus freed enslaved hearts; he was able to release human feeling; to reveal a kingdom of peace. Jesus' realm was the realm of the soul. Jesus is soul; Moses is mind – the mind of the Legislator. In Islam we intertwine both. The great Muslim philosopher Al-Ghazali actually called Jesus the "Prophet of the Heart."

The Muslim Jesus is not divine, but a humble servant of God. He was not crucified – Islam insists that the story of the killing of Jesus is false. He is, as it were, Jesus as he might have been without Paul or Augustine, or the Council of Nice. He is not the cold figure of English Unitarianism, and he is less grand than the exalted human of the Aryans. As you read these stories, what comes across most powerfully is that the Muslim Jesus is intensely loved.

It is good to be reminded, especially now, of the intimate connections there have been between Islam and Christianity, and how close in spirit Muslim and Christian piety can come to each other. Curiously enough, the Muslim Jesus – shorn of all claims of divinity – could be more easily held onto by my agnostic friend than the second person of the Trinity.

Since we as Muslims deny the crucifixion, our emphasis has been on the wonders surrounding "the birth of Jesus, Son of Mary" …born as his mother sat under a palm tree, and miraculously speaking from within the womb.

There really is no reason why schools that put on Nativity plays – or anyone who wants to insist on the Christian meaning of Christmas – should fear that they may offend Muslim sensibilities, for Jesus really is shared by both faiths...

2. IssaEl21

IssaEl21 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    As - Salaamu - Alaykum - Kayfa - Haalaka <Aqil >

Ques ; Does The Qur'an Tell Muslims To Read The Torah ?

3. Aqil

Ratings:
    +114
    Muslims believe that God had previously revealed Himself to the earlier prophets of the Jews and Christians, such as Abraham, Moses, and Jesus. Muslims therefore accept the teachings of both the Jewish Torah and the Christian Gospels. They believe that Islam is the perfection of the religion revealed first to Abraham (who is considered the first Muslim) and later to other prophets...

4. IssaEl21

Ratings:
    +4
    As - Salaamu - Alaykum - Kayfa - Haalaka <Aqil >

Ques ; What Is A Muslim ?
    Ans ; They Will Say , A Muslim Is Anyone Who Submits To Allah <<< Wrong >>>
    The word Muslim is derived from The Ashuric Syriac / Arabic word Salama meaning To Be Peaceful . '' When you add The Prefix Mu ( , ) meaning '' One '' You will get Muslim '' One WhoIs Of Peace . '' Obviously Today , Muslims Don't live up to that Definition . Like I have been saying for while now , Muslims are blood thirty , demonized fanatics , Who will kill in the flash of a second they will all say , That , The Prophet were Musilms , because it say that in the Quraan , But that claim can't be found any where Else , Except in ttheir Quraan ..
    Quraan 2 ; 133 And I Quote ; '''Were ye witness when death appeared before Jacob ? Behold , hesaid to his sons ; What will ye worship after me ? '' They said we shall worship thy God and the God of thy fathers , of Abraham , Isma'il and Isaac - The one ( True ) God ; To him we Bow ( In Islam ) . '' Then there is the claim that Abraham , Name Muhammadans Muslims from before Quraan 22 ; 78 And I Quote In Part ;.. Of your father Abraham . It is he who name You Muslims , both before ... This as well , can't be found in The Torah or Bible , or Psalms , Revelation All which Preceded The Quraan AndMuhammad . ..............
    Any reader of the Quraan that is familiar with The Old Testament , or The New Testament , discover that the names and events of The Books And Prophet Have Been Definitely Copied In The Quraan . This E mail will prove to you that muslims stole the bulk of their religion , and their language from The Jews or Christians , or other Cultures That Predate Them , Yet , The will argue with you and try to convince you That Islam And Its So - Called Scripture , The Quraan Is Authentic . When in fact , I can give you several Words and Customs that was stolen from The Jews . For example , The ceremony of The Circumcision ( Genesis 17 ; 10 ) ;.....This is my covenant, which you shall keep, between me and you and your descendants after you: Every male among you shall be circumcised. ;... was stolen from . TheJews , The concept of Holy Day called Sabbath ( Genesis 2 ; 2 - 3 ) ;....And on the seventh day God finished his work which he had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had done. 3 So God blessed the seventh day and hallowed it, because on it God rested from all his work which he had done in creation. ;... Was stolen from The Jews , And Called Jum'ah Quraan Chapter 62 ;.... 1. Whatever is in the heavens and on earth, doth declare the Praises and Glory of Allah,- the Sovereign, the Holy One, the Exalted in Might, the Wise. 2. It is He Who has sent amongst the Unlettered an apostle from among themselves, to rehearse to them His Signs, to sanctify them, and to instruct them in Scripture and Wisdom,- although they had been, before, in manifest error;- 3. As well as (to confer all these benefits upon) others of them, who have not already joined them: And He is exalted in Might, Wise. 4. Such is the Bounty of Allah, which He bestows on whom He will: and Allah is the Lord of the highest bounty. 5. The similitude of those who were charged with the (obligations of the) Mosaic Law, but who subsequently failed in those (obligations), is that of a donkey which carries huge tomes (but understands them not). Evil is the similitude of people who falsify the Signs of Allah. and Allah guides not people who do wrong. 6. Say: "O ye that stand on Judaism! If ye think that ye are friends to Allah, to the exclusion of (other) men, then express your desire for Death, if ye are truthful!" 7. But never will they express their desire (for Death), because of the (deeds) their hands have sent on before them! and Allah knows well those that do wrong! 8. Say: "The Death from which ye flee will truly overtake you: then will ye be sent back to the Knower of things secret and open: and He will tell you (the truth of) the things that ye did!" 9. O ye who believe! When the call is proclaimed to prayer on Friday (the Day of Assembly), hasten earnestly to the Remembrance of Allah, and leave off business (and traffic): That is best for you if ye but knew! 10. And when the Prayer is finished, then may ye disperse through the land, and seek of the Bounty of Allah. and celebrate the Praises of Allah often (and without stint): that ye may prosper. 11. But when they see some bargain or some amusement, they disperse headlong to it, and leave thee standing. Say: "The (blessing) from the Presence of Allah is better than any amusement or bargain! and Allah is the Best to provide (for all needs)." ;.... By the muslims , The concept of a Turbaan or prayer Cap , Which the muslims call A Kuffa , Came from The Jewish Yamaka or Yarmulke , The Concept of the muslims Kalimat Tawhiyd Quraan 47 ; 19 ;.... 19. Know, therefore, that there is no god but Allah, and ask forgiveness for thy fault, and for the men and women who believe: for Allah knows how ye move about and how ye dwell in your homes. ;.... Was stolen from The Jews Shama Yishrael '' Hear Oh Israel Duteronomy 6 ; 4 , Or 4; 35 ;.....that you may fear the LORD your God, you and your son and your son's son, by keeping all his statutes and his commandments, which I command you, all the days of your life; and that your days may be prolonged. ;... 4 ; 35 ;......To you it was shown, that you might know that the LORD is God; there is no other besides him.
    Where they stole their Kalimat , Laa ilaaha illa Allah , Quraan 47 ; 19 ....
    19. Know, therefore, that there is no god but Allah, and ask forgiveness for thy fault, and for the men and women who believe: for Allah knows how ye move about and how ye dwell in your homes. ;... And this was carried over to christianity Mark 12 ; 29 ;.....29 Jesus answered, "The first is, 'Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one; ;... Andthat's where muslims borrowed it from . They stole The concept of Fasting From The Jews Nehemiah 9 ; 1 ;.... Now in the twenty and fourth day of this month the children of Israel were assembled with fasting, and with sackclothes, and earth upon them ;.... The concept of Alms Giveing Quraan 4 ; 162 ;.... But those among them who are well-grounded in knowledge, and the believers, believe in what hath been revealed to thee and what was revealed before thee: And (especially) those who establish regular prayer and practise regular charity and believe in Allah and in the Last Day: To them shall We soon give a great reward.
    Their Concept Of Making Hajj Ezta 3; 4 , 6 ; 22 ;.....They kept also the feast of tabernacles, as it is written, and offered the daily burnt offerings by number, according to the custom, as the duty of every day required; 6; 22 ;....And kept the feast of unleavened bread seven days with joy: for the LORD had made them joyful, and turned the heart of the king of Assyria unto them, to strengthen their hands in the work of the house of God, the God of Israel. ;.... What most muslims Don't even knowisthat their whole concept of The Pilgrimage to their Holy Temple , Cube Shaped Building ( Ka'aba ) In Mecca , Which they call The Hajj And The Person Who Completes The Pilgrimage Is Called A Hajji , Is A Word Duplicated From The Name Of Prophet Haggai And The Festive Khag Or Hag Exodus 12 ; 14 ;.... And this day shall be unto you for a memorial; and ye shall keep it a feast to the LORD throughout your generations; ye shall keep it a feast by an ordinance for ever ;.... This is when the children of Israel in the Book Of Ezra make A Pilgrimage out of Babylonian Captivity , To Return to The Holy Land Back to the Temple Of Solomon , The Holy Of Holies , The Most Sacred Building On Earth To Them . It's The Exact Same Story , Even The Same Titles ; They Stole The Concept Of Wearing The Ihraam From The Jews , Who Took It From The Ancient Egyptian Practice Of Priest Of Amun - Ra . The Concept Of The Story Of Nimrod Quraan 2 ; 258'......Hast thou not Turned thy vision to one who disputed with Abraham About his Lord, because Allah had granted him power? Abraham said: "My Lord is He Who Giveth life and death." He said: "I give life and death". Said Abraham: "But it is Allah that causeth the sun to rise from the east: Do thou then cause him to rise from the West." Thus was he confounded who (in arrogance) rejected faith. Nor doth Allah Give guidance to a people unjust.
    Was Copied From The Jewish Narrative Of The Mishnah From TheMidrash Rabba Chapter 17. The Concept Of Wearing The Face Veil , Khimaar Genesis 24 ; 65;....For she had said unto the servant, What man is this that walketh in the field to meet us? And the servant had said, It is my master: therefore she took a vail, and covered herself.
    And Wearing Sweet Smelling Oils , Qituwrah Meaning '' Sweet Fragrance '' From Qehtoret And Burning Incense Exodus 30 ; 7 , 23 , 34 ;...... V 7..And Aaron shall burn thereon sweet incense every morning: when he dresseth the lamps, he shall burn incense upon it. V 23 ...Take thou also unto thee principal spices, of pure myrrh five hundred shekels, and of sweet cinnamon half so much, even two hundred and fifty shekels, and of sweet calamus two hundred and fifty shekels,
    V34 .....And the LORD said unto Moses, Take unto thee sweet spices, stacte, and onycha, and galbanum; these sweet spices with pure frankincense: of each shall there be a like weight:
    And they also stole words like Sawkar Meaning '' Strong Drink '' From
    The Hebrew , And Changed It To Sakhtamm Meaning '' Drunk '' The House '' Bayt ' Of Lord Quraan 106 ; 3 ;.....Let them adore the Lord of this House,
    Stolen from the Hebrew Beth , The Word Rabb , Meaning '' Master or Sustainer '' From Rabb , The word Jannah from the Aramic / Hebrew Gan , The Word Sama'a or Samaawaati , From The Aramic / Hebrew '' Shamayim , Meaning '' The Earth , Land '' . Baab , from The Aramic / Hebrew Bawb , Meaning '' Door , '' Aba . From The Aramic / Hebrew Word Ab , Meaning Father , '' Malak From The Aramic / Hebrew Melek , Meaning '' King or Ruler '' Yad from The Aramic / HebrewWord Yawd , Meaning '' Hand ''. Amiyn , Amen , '' Mu ' minun , Mu ' minaati , El Mu'min Etc , One Of Allahs Attributes ( 6th ) Was Stolen From The Aramic / Hebrew Awmane , Meaning '' To Have Faith '' . El Bariyu , The 12th Attribute , Meaning '' The Fashioner '' From The Aramic / Hebrew '' Bara , Meaning ' To Attribute , Meaning The Fashioner '' From The Aramic / Hebrew '' Bara '' , Meaning '' To Replenish '' Al Musawwiru , The Fashioner , From The Aramic / Hebrew Tsawr Meaning To Make '' All Of The Attributes Of Arabic Was Stolen From Hebrew Including Salaam , Islaam , Muslim All Came From The Aramic / Hebrew Word Shalom Meaning '' Peace . ''

5. Aqil

Ratings:
    +114
    Shokran, IssaEl21...

6. IssaEl21

Ratings:
    +4
    As Salaamu Alaykum Aqil

Is Isa Son Of Maryam The God Of The Koran ?

7. Aqil

Ratings:
    +114
    First of all, the answer to your fallacious question is no. Secondly, what is quite evident here is that you have prepared answers for the sometimes farcical queries that you proffer. Thirdly, since you claim you have no religion - and since this is the Spirituality and Religion forum - why do you continue to post your extremely protracted and inefficacious threads on religion? In addition, they are very difficult to read (you capitalize every word), and replete with supercilious cacophony...

8. rasheed

rasheed Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    working for Paradise (Jannah)
    Ratings:
    +4
    As-Salaamu Alaykum, Aqil,
    i found this a very interesting writing on Jusus (AS) the Muslim. The Muslim Jesus, by the Cambridge academic Tarif Khalidi seems to be a notable reference book. Thanks, i'll look it up (sounds like some meaningful reading material).

9. Aqil

Ratings:
    +114
    Wa-Alaikum-Salaam aqi...shokran and jazaka'lah...

10. IssaEl21

Ratings:
    +4
    LaughingBigTimeHere

1. FIRST YOU FEEL YOU CAN STEP INTO THE N.O.I. TEACHING , BUT YOU CAN DEAL WITH IT WHEN FAKE SUNNI ISLAM IS BEING UNMASK , I MUST HAVE HIT A NERVE .
    2. IF I'M SAYING ANYTHING THAT WRONG PROVE IT, IF YOU CAN BRING IT , BUT WHEN YOU COME YOU BETTER COME RIGHT OVERSTAND ,
    3 . aqil << TO DESIRE SECURITY IS A SIGN OF INSECURITY.
    4. QUES; SUNNI ORTHODOX WHY DO THEY RESORT TO NAME CALLING AND :THROWING TEMPER TANTRUMS , INSTEAD OF DISCUSSING THE FACTS ? :flamet: :read: