Black People : The most dangerous states in America

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Clyde C Coger Jr, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071
    In the Spirit of Sankofa,

... For real, been there done that ... Memphis, TN ... 25 years worth:

1. Tennessee
    • Violent crimes per 100,000: 643.6
    • Poverty rate: 17.9%
    • Pct. of population with bachelor’s degree or higher: 24.3%
    • Property crimes per 100,000: 3,371.4 (10th highest)
    Tennessee has the dubious distinction of having the worst violent crime rate in the country. The state was among the top 10 in the country for murders and robberies and was first for aggravated assaults, with an estimated 479.6 for every 100,000 residents. Tennessee’s 41,550 violent crimes in 2012 were up 6.8% from 2011 but down 10% from 2007, when there were 46,380 violent crimes. There were 388 murders in the state in 2012, up for a second straight year. To be fair, Tennessee’s violent streak is concentrated in some of the major metropolitan areas. Memphis’s violent crime rate was the nation’s fifth worst, while Nashville’s was the 18th worst. Like many states with high violent crime, poverty in Tennessee is acute, and high school and college graduation rates are lower than most of the country.

The most dangerous states in America

[​IMG]

Memphis at night.

You might expect California or New York to top a list of most dangerous states. But in fact, neither was even in the top five for the nation’s highest violent crime rate last year.
    The FBI’s latest statewide statistics offer a snapshot of the underside of the 50 states: where violent crime -- murder, rape, robbery and aggravated assault -- is most common. 24/7 Wall St. reviewed the states with the highest rates of violent crime in the country.
    Last year violent crime rose slightly, just under 1%, after 20 years of steady decline. Crime peaked in the late 1980s, fueled by the crack cocaine epidemic. Although the exact cause of the decline remains unclear, experts have pointed to factors such as better policing, demographic changes, higher incarceration rates, a drop in cocaine use, and the introduction of a variety of social programs.
    In an interview with 24/7 Wall St., Urban Institute senior fellow John Roman pointed out that the crime decline has not been uniform. Crime has fallen markedly in some large cities, like New York, Dallas and Washington, D.C. However, the decline has been less impressive in cities like Baltimore and Detroit, where economic and racial segregation limit the ability of the poor to move into the middle class.

suggested reading:
    http://homes.yahoo.com/news/the-most-dangerous-states-in-america-161944577.html

2. KingSango

KingSango Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +389
    Yeah, Memphis 10 is always known to be off point, just bugged out, thugged out on a daily.

3. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071
    IT'S HARD OUT HERE FOR A PIMP-OSCARS

Really KingSango, for real?:huh2:

Peace In,

4. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071
    Hard Out Here For A Pimp Lyrics

• Get the ringtone
    • Comments
    • Print
    • Correct
    You know it's hard out here for a pimp
    When he tryin' to get this money for the rent
    For the Cadillacs and gas money spent
    Because a whole lot of ******* talkin' ****
    Will have a whole lot of ******* jumpin' ship
    In my eyes I done seen some crazy thangs in the streets
    Gotta couple girl workin' on the changes for me
    But I gotta keep my game tight like Kobe on game night
    Like takin' from a girl don't know no better, I know that ain't right
    Done seen people killed, done seen people deal
    Done seen people live in poverty with no meals
    It's messed up where I live but that's just how it is
    It might be new to you but it's been like this for years
    It's blood sweat and tears when it come down to a lick
    I'm tryin' to get rich 'fore I leave up out it
    I'm tryin' to have thangs but it's hard for a pimp
    So I'm prayin' and I'm hopin' to God I don't slip, yeah
    Man, it seems like I'm duckin' dodgin' bullets everyday
    ****** hatin' on me cause I got, girls on the tray
    But I gotta stay paid, gotta stay above water
    Couldn't keep up with my girls, that's when things got harder
    North Memphis where I'm from, I'm 7th street bound
    Where people all the time end up lost and never found
    Man, these girls think we prove thangs, leave a big head
    They come hopin' every night, they don't end up bein' dead
    Wait I got a snow bunny, and a black girl too
    You pay the right price and they'll both do you
    That's the way the game goes, gotta keep it strictly pimpin'
    Gotta keep my hustle tight, makin' change off these women, yeah
    SONGWRITERS
    CEDRIC COLEMAN, PAUL BEAUREGARD, JORDAN HOUSTON
    PUBLISHED BY
    LYRICS © BUG MUSIC

5. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    cats down there still wear jerri curls...lol

one love
    khasm

6. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071

Done seen people killed, done seen people deal
    Done seen people live in poverty with no meals
    It's messed up where I live but that's just how it is
    It might be new to you but it's been like this for years
    It's blood sweat and tears when it come down to a lick
    I'm tryin' to get rich 'fore I leave up out it

http://www.civilrightsmuseum.org/

[​IMG]

On April 4 1968, Martin Luther King Jr was assassinated while standing on a balcony at the Lorraine Motel in Memphis, TN. Since that day, the hotel has found new life as the National Civil Rights Museum, an impressive collection of photographs, videos and written accounts chronicling the history of the civil rights movement.

http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/2...ny_Opens_At_the_Old_Lorraine_Motel_in_Memphis

7. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071
    Hustle & Flow - Whoop That Trick (Djay - Whoop That Trick)

8. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071
    In the Spirit of Sankofa,

America’s Richest (and Poorest) Cities

America’s 10 Poorest Cities
    10. Pine Bluff, Ark.
    > Median household income: $36,127
    > Population: 97,798 (20th lowest)
    > Unemployment rate: 9.2% (77th highest)
    > Poverty rate: 24.4% (17th highest)
    The median household income in Pine Bluff was just over $36,000 in 2012, more than $15,000 less than the nationwide median last year. Additionally, more than 24% of residents lived below the poverty level, while the area unemployment rate in 2012 was 9.2% -- both above the respective nationwide rates of 15.9% and 8.1%. Further, 9% of Pine Bluff households had less than $10,000 in total income in 2012, among the worst rates in the nation. But not all news out of the area has been negative. According to The Pine Bluff Commercial, reported crimes in the city during the first nine months of 2013 declined by 15% from the same period in 2012.
    9. Fort Smith, Ark.-Okla.
    > Median household income: $36,061
    > Population: 298,110 (159th highest)
    > Unemployment rate: 7.7% (176th highest)
    > Poverty rate: 22.6% (32nd highest)
    Fort Smith has a rich frontier heritage, and has served as the setting for several famous Western movies, including True Grit and Hang Em’ High. However, the reality of Fort Smith today is less glamorous. The area’s median income was barely over $36,000 in 2012, down by more than $5,000 since 2008. Last year the nationwide median was over $51,000. According to The Southwest Times Record, a recent survey showed Fort Smith residents viewed the city’s job market and economy as weaknesses, however, they also cited quality of life as its greatest strength.
    8. Cumberland, Md.-W.Va.
    > Median household income: $35,645
    > Population: 101,968 (26th lowest)
    > Unemployment rate: 8.0% (155th highest)
    > Poverty rate: 16.3% (181st highest)
    As of 2012, 6.6% of the U.S. workforce worked in finance, insurance, and real estate related jobs. Nearly 11% worked in the professional and scientific industries. In Cumberland, the percentage of residents employed in these traditionally high-paying jobs was half the national rate. For scientific and professional industries, the percentage of workers decreased significantly from 2008. The area may also lack the educational attainment, on aggregate, needed to attract higher paying jobs. Last year, just over 15% of Cumberland metro area adult residents had a college degree, barely half the national rate of 29.1% and lower than all but a few other metro areas. The proportion of people earning incomes below the poverty line increased from 11.6% in 2008 to 16.3% last year.
    7. Monroe, La.
    > Median household income: $34,809
    > Population: 177,781 (137th lowest)
    > Unemployment rate: 7.0% (129th lowest)
    > Poverty rate: 25.9% (11th highest)
    Last year more than one quarter of the Monroe area population lived below the poverty line, one of the highest proportions in the nation. Monroe households were among the most likely in the nation to earn $10,000 per year, as well. As of 2012, 23% of the population was uninsured, one of the highest percentages in the nation. According to a recent analysis by the Kaiser Family Foundation, since Louisiana has not expanded Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act, 60% of uninsured, non-elderly adults in the state fall into a “coverage gap,” which means that “their income is above current Medicaid eligibility but below the lower limit for Marketplace premium tax credits.”
    6. Albany, Ga.
    > Median household income: $34,469
    > Population: 155,019 (111th lowest)
    > Unemployment rate: 9.6% (64th highest)
    > Poverty rate: 26.9% (8th highest)
    Over 12% of households in Albany brought in under $10,000 annually, the second-highest rate in the country, and more than double the national rate. Albany also has among the highest poverty rates in the U.S. Nearly 27% of the population lived below the poverty line last year, well in excess of the national rate of 15.1%. According to a report from WALB in Albany from earlier this year, gang activity is thriving in the city. Albany officials say the problem is related to high unemployment and poverty rates.

5. Lake Havasu City-Kingman, Ariz.
    > Median household income: $34,445
    > Population: 203,334 (156th lowest)
    > Unemployment rate: 9.9% (55th highest)
    > Poverty rate: 21.7% (44th highest)
    The Lake Havasu City area has long been popular with tourists, and is a favorite spring break destination for college students. But the area also had one of the nation’s lowest median incomes in 2012, despite its seasonal popularity. Lake Havasu City’s workforce was heavily concentrated in the low-paying entertainment and accommodation, and retail sectors. Last year, the area’s unemployment rate was close to 10%, well above the nationwide rate of 8.1%. Job growth in the area has also yet to recover from the last decade’s housing downturn and recession. One potential reason for the area’s poor job market may be a lack of formal education among residents. Just 11.2% had at least a bachelor’s degree last year, the lowest percentage in the U.S.
    4. Gadsden, Ala.
    > Median household income: $34,264
    > Population: 104,392 (29th lowest)
    > Unemployment rate: 7.2% (144th lowest)
    > Poverty rate: 21.2% (52nd highest)
    One in five workers in Gadsden was employed in manufacturing last year. Residents, however, earn considerably smaller incomes than the nation as a whole. Nearly one in three Americans completed a bachelor’s degree or higher level of education in 2012, while in Gladsden the rate was only 15%. About one quarter of the homes in Gadsden was valued under $50,000 in 2012. Further, between 2008 and last year, median home value dropped by over $20,000.
    3. McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, Texas
    > Median household income: $33,761
    > Population: 806,552 (67th highest)
    > Unemployment rate: 11.0% (28th highest)
    > Poverty rate: 34.5% (2nd highest)
    As of 2012, 34.5% of McAllen area residents lived below the poverty line, the second highest percentage in the nation and more than double the national rate of 15.9%. The area also had the nation’s highest percentage of residents without health insurance, at nearly 37%. In 2009, McAllen became a focal point in the national health care debate, due to the area’s extremely high medical costs, in spite of its poor population. However, health care is not the only vital service many residents lack. In 2012, more than 2% of housing units did not have complete plumbing facilities, one of the worst rates in the nation. Finding work was also difficult for many residents, less than 64% of whom had a high school education as of 2012, one of the lowest rates in the nation. Despite decent job growth, the area’s unemployment rate was 11% last year.
    2. Dalton, Ga.
    > Median household income: $32,858
    > Population: 142,751 (87th lowest)
    > Unemployment rate: 11.5% (20th highest)
    > Poverty rate: 21.6% (46th highest)
    No metro area in the U.S. has a higher percentage of workers employed in manufacturing than Dalton, at over 40% last year. The major source of these jobs is the area’s carpet industry -- the city of Dalton bills itself as “The Carpet Capital of the Word.” The industry took a hit as the housing market flopped, however, and a large portion of the area’s manufacturing jobs were lost. As of last year, the area’s unemployment rate was 11.5%, one of the highest in the nation. Between 2008 and 2012, median household income fell from $44,847 to less than $33,000. But there has been some good news lately. According to the Chattanooga Times Free Press, the Dalton area’s largest carpet manufacturer, Shaw Industries, announced plans to add a new factory and hire more workers as the economy improves.
    1. Brownsville-Harlingen, Texas
    > Median household income: $30,953
    > Population: 415,557 (125th highest)
    > Unemployment rate: 10.5% (37th highest)
    > Poverty rate: 36.10% (the highest)
    Nearly two out of five Brownsville-Harlingen residents were living in poverty as of 2012, the highest rate of the 366 metropolitan areas reviewed. According to PewResearch, Brownsville had one of the largest Hispanic populations in 2012, and the highest rate of poverty among Hispanics in large metropolitan areas, at 40%. Additionally, more than one in three people were living without health insurance that year, the second highest rate in the U.S.. Home values were also low in 2012. Over 26% of homes were worth less than $50,000, about three times more than the median for the U.S., and one of the highest percentages of low-valued homes out of all metropolitan areas.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/america-richest-poorest-cities-165424993.html

9. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071
    In the Spirit of Politics,

5 States Adding the Most Middle-Income Jobs

1. Wyoming

2. Iowa

3. North Dakota

4. Michigan

5. Arizona

[​IMG]

Middle-income jobs have been on the decline in the United States over the past few decades. This is not just an observation that people have noticed — data from the Federal Reserve shows that the percentage of jobs in the U.S. classified as middle wage has dropped from 25 percent in 1985 to approximately 15 percent today.

This has important implications not only for individuals but for the economy as a whole. When fewer middle-wage jobs are available, it means that there is less upward mobility because there are less jobs that can act as segues or stepping stones between low- and high-wage positions. In addition, middle-wage jobs go hand in hand with higher income inequality, as the percentages lost by these jobs have been gained in low- or high-wage positions.

suggested reading:
    http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/5-states-adding-the-most-middle-income-jobs.html/?ref=YF

10. butterfly#1

butterfly#1 going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,204

What cause you to print lyrics to this song? ...lol
    You are becoming dangerous, I luv it. I can speak in
    song, all day long.
    Music is my thing.