Black Education / Schools : The more education, the more coward?

KPITRL

REGISTERED MEMBER
May 7, 2013
I remember years ago while I was working as a guard full-time and going to school part-time, one of my co-workers, an older brother about 5-10 years older than me told me the more education you get, the more butt you have to kiss. The guard force was about 98% black, and it was already compared to a plantation. Then as I got closer to graduation, I remember this older brother who was about my fathers age, coming in drunk one evening, and we got into a heated exchange. I know it either had something to do with me getting ready to graduate, or me going to a new career as an IT professional. I can't remember which one was ticking him off because I graduated and left that job in the same month. As a matter of fact, I began seeing the true side of several of my co-workers when I was nearing graduation, the older ones in particular. But I think this argument happened more likely because I was leaving that job. That's when you really, really begin to see weird things like this in particular, happening on your job. This older brother was relieving me that day, and I was about to get off of work. So the argument didn't last long, and we all knew he had been drinking, so everybody kept it hush-hush.

The following day, this same older brother, who had been drinking the day before came in talking trash again. He was a loud mouth senior brother, and I never seen anybody out talk him. This time when he relieved me, he blunted out, "They're still going to be prejudice like they are at this job". Instead of being defensive like I was the day before, I replied, "Thank positive, my brother". He got so mad when I said that that he almost bit his tongue, and he never did get his sentence out. He knew I was messing with him, plus he knew he started it. Plus I didn't respond with a haymaker, so he was caught off guard. The next day when he relieved me, he acted more like a senior brother. I'm not saying he wished me good luck, but he did try to act more positive. I guest somebody, perhaps a supervisor, sat him down and told him how ridiculous he looked, trying to dash the hopes of a young brother, young enough to be his son. His initial negative attitude surprised me myself, coming from a brother old enough to be my father.

Whether or not either of these two older co-workers were right, they don't need to be telling this to younger brothers, while we have so many in the streets or going to the prison system instead. So what were they telling me I should have done, just accept the plantation conditions on that job, with the low salary we were receiving there. It just irritates me when I see some of these senior brothers dashing the hopes of younger brothers, without offering any solutions for them. I was well aware of the things that these two co-worker were telling me, and the possibility that it may not be as rosey on the other side as one thinks. I wasn't all that young. Just working that job gave me a hint of how bad racism can be at any job. Plus you could see it just by going on all those job interviews.

But what's just as sad about this whole story is, both of these co-workers were right, and some. What that previous co-worker, the one about 5-10 years older, told me about the more education you get, the more butt you have to kiss, was something I didn't totally believe. But it turned out to be very true with my life experiences. As a matter of fact, I was practically punished for going to college and getting an education, and trying to get ahead, and God saved me. I'm not saying black people shouldn't get educated, but I do say we need to get educated about starting our own businesses. For those of you who been to college or know other people who have, what do you have to say about this brothers overall stance on education? I'm not asking if you thought he was wrong for telling me that, which I think he was, especially to someone who was already going, and who was already dedicated to his education. But down inside, do you think his overall stance on education was right, especially if you're black living in white America, and your education wasn't geared towards starting you own businesses.

do you think his overall stance on education was right, especially if you're black living in white America, and your education wasn't geared towards starting you own businesses.
his stance was dead wrong and a loser's excuse. educated brothers that i know kick butt.

I disagree with cowardice increasing with education. That's a straight-up ghetto mentality! lol

However, I will agree that "butt-kissing" usually increases with education (but then levels off way later in your career once you have more bargaining power).

Lower-end jobs have higher turnover rates than higher-end jobs on average. Therefore, if your the person who frequently goes through job after job after job; then you will have less to lose and likely wouldn't care as much if you pissed off a boss and got fired. Most lower-end jobs place less emphasis on the need of experience, references, overall qualifications, etc; so in theory you can go out and find another little gig without as much difficulty. They are more likely to view a job as more expendable than somebody actually trying to build a career.

If your an educated professional in the earlier stages of a career, then you need experience to reach your full potential. You also need professional references, connections and to be liked to increase your chances of promotions; so the natural inclination of most ppl would be to kiss up to them so they will have no complaints with you to get further. Blacks generally have a harder time landing a good quality job as well so this arguably also makes jobs on this level much more worth kissing butt for since they're less accessible.

I know this has some generalizations but this is a very broad topic. Yes, I know that not all "uneducated ppl" have lower jobs and go bouncing from job to job..

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back