Black Entertainment : THE MOONGLOWS

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by oldiesman, May 24, 2006.

1. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    ok,now i know that some of you remember this classic fifties group fronted by harvey fuqua and had marvin gaye as a member for a minute as well as bobby lester,this smooth group whose best work was on the chess lable had such classics as-ten commandments of love-blue velvet-penny arcade just to name afew,so any favs from them?

2. queentswana

queentswana Well-Known Member MEMBER

day care provider (own business)
    Ratings:
    +161
    I love the Moonglows, and have a lot of their cuts, some of my favorites is...
    Sincerely
    Most of all
    In my diary
    Over and over again
    Sweeter than words
    Blue velvet
    When you ready for some reallll music...step in chat:wink:

3. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Hey, Oldies, did you know that Harvey Fuqua brought Marvin Gaye to Motown, and married Gwen Gordy, making him a part of the Gordy family before Motown was MOTOWN???

His Uncle was a member of the InkSpots(I'll get his name, and present it), and it was based on that style that Harvey began the evolution of the sound in DooWop... He called it SHOOWop, that smooth sound pioneered by the Chicago-based DooWop groups, such as the magnificent Flamingos and the Mighty Dells... Like sister Queenstwana, I love Ohhhh, SINCERELY, I love you so dearly....please say you'll be MIIIIINE!!!(smile!)

Peace!
    Isaiah

4. oldiesman

Ratings:
    +120
    THE MOONGLOWS...

yes i know these facts,and his uncle's name is charlie,the moonglows perfected what came to be known as-blow harmony whereas other groups sang[ooo]they sang[who]holding the notes for longer than most,as a matter of fact it was harvey who wanted to marry anna gordy but she only had eyes for the young marvin who was 17yrs younger.

5. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Heheheee! Yeah, and Anna Gordy was straight smokin at age 37... How could the young child resist such hunk a woman???LOL! Um, Um, Um, as brother Major Lance would say!(smile!)

Yeah, Oldies, I figured you knew that stuff, but I figured I'd try ta impress you(smile!) Can't knock a brotha for tryin', can ya???(smile!)

Listen, with the groups and individuals that came outta Washington, I'm surprised you haven't mentioned them as among your favorites... One of my favorites from Washington - besides Marvin - is The FatBoy, Billy Stewart... Now that brother was so confident in his ability to blow, he didn't mind calling himself Fatboy... Billy could really rock a microphone - long before Rap, and any o dat crap... I Do Love You and Sitting in The Park are songs that instantly transport me to the simple atmosphere that pervaded the city when I was growing up... The saying that African American music always reflects where we are as a people is so true... I think the 1960's music says that we were a people finding love within ourselves, and projecting out to the world, and it was oh so Cowboys to Girls, wasn't it???(smile!)

Peace!
    Isaiah

6. oldiesman

Ratings:
    +120
    the moonglows...

yep alot of good music came outta d.c.back in the day and i will be sayin something along the way,such as with all the tribute being paid to the apollo as the center of early black entertainment[and it was]but how many know that the howard theatre was the first black entertainment venue in what was later to be known as the chittlin circuit,and if i start talkin about sixties music i'll be here all day but the songs were filled with love as you said and we had more romance in our hearts during those days,and although the kids today try to sing about romance somehow i just don't feel it,because thier hearts aren't in it.