The MLK that's never quoted

Discussion in 'Honoring Black Ancestors' started by oldsoul, Jan 22, 2010.

1. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
  2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    fo real !!!!! big ups Oldsoul

3. King Tubbs

King Tubbs Well-Known Member MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +272
    Excellent post Oldsoul.

Way back in 2005 my first ever post on Destee was about the fact that MLK is deliberately watered down. I'll quote myself:

MLK is sooooo misrepresented its not even funny.

While Malcolm X in his life went to Mecca and reformed his views to more moderate (NOT less radical, he abandoned saying ALL white people are the devil after meeting many genuine and honest whites in Saudi) Martin went the other way and became MORE militant....but ya never hear about this on Martin Luther King day its just "I have a dream. I have a dream" ad nauseum!

The "I have a dream" speech was made in 1963......MLK wasnt killed until 1968....what was he doing all that time.....dreaming? NO!! if he was soooo dangerous why did they wait so long to kill him?

Like Malcolm his views progressed but his views dont suit the "I have a dream" propaganda of today so the media pretend like that was the only speech he ever made but in truth he:

*condemned the Civil Rights Movement of 1960-1965 to "Not having really accomplished anything" That period includes "I have a dream" and the bus boycott.

*said "I'm sorry but MOST whites consciously or unconsciously ARE RACIST!"

*said "No amount of money in this wealthy land (USA) can repay the (blackman) for for the grave injustice dont to him for the last 400 years"

*Used the above arguement and others to argue FOR affirmitive action....but today many whites quote his "judge me for the content of my character not the color of my skin" out of context to argue AGAINST affirmitive action.

*said "the United States is the main bastion of wickedness in the world today, if there was to be a third world war, america would start it"

*was such a virulent anti Vietnam war protestor Linden B Johnson stunningly said to him "when I heard your anti war statements I felt as if I heard you raped my daughter"!!!!!!!!!!

*condemned white racism so much former (white) supporters began to condemn him and Time Magazine that had made in Man of the Year at the time of the 'I have a dream' speech refered to him as that "drawling southern country bumpkin preacher".

You see the 'I have a dream speech' was a vaccum that really condemned or threatened noone so the white establishment liked that as it didnt really mean or do much that threatened them. When MLK made that speech he still lived in the South and believed in integration.

However in the mid sixities when he moved to Chicago and saw raw unabashed racism that contrary to popular belief far surpassed southern racism he lost hope in white people and began to condemn white racism specifically unlike he had whilst in Atlanta. Thats when many 'liberal' whites turned against him.

However when he died they simply rewound the clock to "I have a dream" and pretended his progression of viewpoint never happened so today many black and white are unaware of the true facts of his life, as I was until very recently.

Guys, if he really was as soft as many believe why do you think he was shot? He was shot because like X his matured and widened scope made him much more of a threat than before.

BOTH of these men are equally great and there views ARE compatible.

May I recommend "Bearing the Cross" by David Garrow and "I may not get there with you" by Michael Dyson as two books that will give you a more rounded and true picture of the great man. They totally changed my view of him especially the Michael Dyson one.

http://destee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34581

Users found this page by searching for:

1. mlk thats never quoted