Black Spirituality Religion : The Messiah. The savior and the likes.

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by I-khan, Mar 8, 2006.

1. I-khan

I-khan Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +47
    Why is it that a "savior" or "Messiah" is so desperately needed by peoples of today.Not to disrespect your religious beliefs(if you have any) but what is the deal?

Were those "saviors" or "Messiahs" actual concrete people and/or prophecies of people or were they purely symbolic.

2. Music Producer

Music Producer Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +94
    About 65 percent and probably more of the people that need to know, cannot read or have extreme difficulty understanding and or comprehending what they are reading.

If you will notice Moses was specifically referred to as being raised as a Pharaoh or in the house of the Pharaoh. This means education, reading and writing skills in multiple languages a person that can communicate an idea to the masses and able to communicate that idea with the smartest or less educated of the people. That type of communication takes a skill and know-how.

3. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137

Of all the creatures of the this planet only mankind understands it's mortality. Once we become of age we become doomed by the knowlegde that one day we will die. Our nature desires for us to live forever but this not possible in our present state. No one alive knows for certain what happens after we die. If we examine death purely from a logical point of view the truest thing we can say for certain is we don't know what happens when we die nor have we discovered and way of knowing that we can tell about. What we have yet to learn or is beyond our capacities for understanding simply put does not exist in our world. Therefore one could say what happens after we die is we cease to exist. For most of mankind this is a horrible fate. It's almost as though our lives never happened. Surely there must be some saving grace or something to look forward to..? This is where a savior comes in. Someone that will give us assurance that we will not be condemned to the cold, stark void of nothingness when we lay down to sleep. What is worse than non existence is eternal torture for our wrongdoings. Who will forgive us? This is where a savior comes in. A savior is someone or something that offers salvation in a situation when we can't save ourselves. Though we can't save ourselves from dying we can take solice in know that death is not the end but a transition of existence from one state to the next. Our lives are much better knowing we have a savior to save us....

Peace....

4. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    The concept of a savior or Messiah or Mahdi, or Mithras or Maggai is universal to nearly every ancient culture.

Usually this figure, whether they were a literal or a figurative figure, represented the heralding in of a new age or era. They usually brought with them an avante-garde way of thinking and approach to life for the masses, who were usually stagnant and convention in their own thought processes, to the point of being counter-productive.

There have been various versions of these figures throughout the times, and in various cultures and societies, even simultaneously. Though, not all of them represented a spiritual change; some represented social reform, some where military commanders, etc.

The term "MESSIAH", for example, was not exlcusive to Jesus, and nor did it etymologically have a spiritual connotation.

PEACE

5. OmowaleX

OmowaleX Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42

In what manner are our lives actually better?

6. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    If you have a conscience in working order, you can save your own self.

7. OmowaleX

OmowaleX Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    True!

8. emanuel goodman

emanuel goodman Well-Known Member MEMBER

social worker
    Ratings:
    +759
    in my opinion

In my opinion in every good story there is a happy ending. The human attribute of hope is guilty for this. For even in the holy drama coming fourth by day and night we have heru as the hero. I think every manifestation of the saviors provides optimism and a reason to push on for those whom might not have one other wise. I am currently developing a new understanding for the neccesity of each important symbolistic interpretation by man in regards to the creator. my humble understanding is this :no man can know all things about the creator. Each manifestation of him in the image nation of man is fostered through assistance of the creator however they are maifested with in man thus are only capable of functioning on the level of man. We all like a happy ending brother. It it adds a comfort level for those that need as well. wadu hotep

9. uplift19

uplift19 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +12
    I'm not sure what your reason is for using the word "needed" in the way you ask, but I think the larger question is not about individuals but about a nation or group of people. In other words, people tend to "need" a savior on a personal level but there also must be some overall social condition of relative death (spiritually, mentally, culturally, etc.) in order for this figure to appear. Some people believe that when a problem arises, a leader is born to help facilitate its solution. People tend to deify famous leaders (Cesar Chavez, Malcolm X, Dr. King, Che Guevera, etc. etc.) after their death. This is true even with Jesus of Nazereth: he wasn't a big deal until he died.

I watched a very interesting piece on this topic on the History Channel some time ago, and the overall consensus is that savior/messiah types represent hope that a people have for a better future. The ultimate goal of the presence of a savior is to get people to change THEMSELVES in order to make major change in their overall condition. If you do not have much life experience or haven't hit "rock bottom" in your life it's hard to see the need for such. Perhaps this is why the churches/mosques/temples/etc. are filled with old folks..

..just my 2 cents

10. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317

The Savior, the Faithful Son, is needed because of sin and death which trap men and women. He has taken our burden upon His own Body and has washed us clean of sin, so that we may have life. With faith to the Holy Son, we become fulfilled. Man cannot redeem his own self, so we all do desperately need our Savior, who calls us His brothers and sisters with faith to who He is and in the Father who taught us of His Way.

The Faithful Son was and is certainly real, and definitely isn't just symbolic. He actually came, died for our sins and transgressions, was Resurrected for our eternal life, and sits at the right hand of the Father. He definitely exists.