Black Spirituality Religion : The Menstrual Cycle and Spirituality

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by karmashines, May 31, 2005.

1. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    This question is for anyone that prescribes to some form of spiritual or religious belief. Some cultures, especially those that are matriarchal, believe that women have special spiritual abilities during their menstrual cycle. Do you agree with this? Do you think that the menstrual cycle serves a deeper purpose than how we view it in this culture, which basically sees it as a curse and not a blessing?

For myself, I notice that I think a lot more about spiritual matters during my cycle then when I'm normal. This was the case even when I was a Christian. Any other women on here experience this? Or, if you're a man, have you noticed this with the women in your lives?

2. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064

If I remember correcty, in Khemet, specific rituals performed, during the menstrual cycle of priestesses, were considered some of the most auspicious times for cause and affect.

I have some literature at home and I'll look into it for the family.

3. Nisa

Nisa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    Moon Women and Snakebite Remedies

Women are very powerful during menstruation and must be allowed to retreat and meditate in separate moon lodges during their "moon time," to engage in their own cyclic ceremonies of purification as preparation for childbirth.

Menstruating women in traditional cultures were considered to be so powerful they could "kill a rattlesnake by spitting on it" (a Lakota belief). During the Sundance dancers would feel exhausted if there was a woman "in her moon" around since her intense energy overwhelmed them.

This is from a native american standpoint.
    http://www.annieappleseedproject.org/partii2.html

4. Nisa

Nisa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    The first menstruation is life's own initiation of every young girl. This important event is not at all respected in our time and society, and yet other tribal cultures celebrate this rite of passage. This can inspire us to create new, meaningful rites of passage for today - transitions that can help make her feel at home in Nature's cycles of fruitfulness, as they move and dance around and through her.

Among the Mbuti people of Zaire, a girl who has begun to menstruate for the first time is said to be "blessed by the moon" and she becomes the focus of rejoicing, as everyone is told the good news. The first flow is marked by a joyful ritual, the elima, in which the girl enters the 'women's house' together with female relatives and friends. The girls are taught to be proud of their bodies, both sexually and in terms of their ability to bear children. They are taught the arts and crafts of motherhood, they learn the songs of adult women, and people from all around come to pay their respects; also the young men crowd around the elima house. If two girls start menstruating at the same time, it creates a strong bond between them, 'they have seen the blood together 1'.
    The first menstruation is the rite of passage that doesn't have to be sought for, or applied for, it comes to the girl by itself. The question is does she see it as a blessing or a curse?

To realize again, that the cycle of fruitfulness within a woman reflects the great rhythms and cycles of Moon, Sun and Earth's fruitfulness, is an important step in bringing beauty back into our view of menstruation and bleeding women.

http://www.sacredhoop.demon.co.uk/HOOP-10/MOON.html

5. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Very interesting thread!

Very informative.

I enjoy reading/learning about different cultures and beliefs.

Even as a part of my college studies, I had classes in my major which delved into Native American, African, and other cultures and histories.

It helps that I love to read. I'm usually more comfortable/at ease with a book than tv. So, I'll be checking out those sources! :toast:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. menstruation and spirituality

2. cullingus during menstrual cycle spiritual

3. native american woman menstrual cycle

4. menstrual cycle & spirituality