Black Education / Schools : The Medical Schools With the Highest Percentage of Graduates Who Are Black

Discussion in 'Black Education / Schools' started by Clyde C Coger Jr, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079
    In the Spirit of Sankofa,

Destee ...

Earlier today in oldsoul's class, you challenged the assertion that Meharry Medical school in Nashville produced half of all black doctors. From what I've been able to find, you were correct to contest that issue.

In the first article, Meharry is cited as contributing to the 17% of Black doctors that earned degrees from predominately Black schools, a total of 195; while 1,129 African Americans graduated from U. S. medical schools, across the board.

In the second article, Meharry doesn't appear to be in the top ten schools or Black colleges that produce Black graduates, neither is Meharry mentioned. Top honors go to Xavier and Howard, respectively.

The Medical Schools With the Highest Percentage of Graduates Who Are Black

According to the Association of American Medical Colleges, in 2011, 1,129 African Americans graduated from U.S. medical schools. Blacks were 6.5 percent of all medical school graduates. Of the 1,129 African Americans earning medical degrees, 195 earned their degrees at the four predominantly Black medical schools at Howard, Meharry, Morehouse, and UCLA/Charles Drew. Thus, 17 percent of all Black doctors earned their medical degrees at a predominantly Black school.

http://www.jbhe.com/2013/04/the-med...ighest-percentage-of-graduates-who-are-black/

The Top Feeder Schools for Black Medical Students

The Association of American Medical Colleges has released data on the undergraduate colleges and universities that produced the most graduates who went on to apply to medical school. In 2011, 87 Black graduates of Howard University applied to medical school. Xavier University in New Orleans had 68 Black graduates who applied to U.S. medical schools.

Other colleges and universities in the top 10 in producing Black medical school applicants were the University of Miami, the University of Maryland, Hampton University, the University of South Florida, Cornell University, and Emory University.

If we look at the colleges and universities that produced the most Black graduates of medical schools, Xavier University is by far the leader of the pack. Some 60 graduates of Xavier University earned their medical degrees in 2011. This was almost double the number of medical school graduates from Howard University, which ranked second nationally. In 2011, 32 Howard graduates earned medical degrees. The University of Florida, Harvard University, Duke University, and Stanford University all had 20 graduates who earned medical degrees in 2011.

http://www.jbhe.com/2013/03/the-top-feeder-schools-for-black-medical-students/

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Thank you Brother Clyde ... i thot that seemed to pat an answer ... very good!

I want Sister Kadijah to see this ... perhaps she has data to the contrary and will share it.

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

3. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079

... yvw Sister Destee,

Not wanting to be first, I waited on her for awhile, but I'm with you on that, hopefully she will.

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684

It's good information ... I'm glad you posted it.

Thanks a Bunch!

Destee

5. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079

Good ... and as far as being current, the first article is framed in this manner:

Filed in Breaking News, Degree Attainments on April 12, 2013

6. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952

Now you know sister Kadijah don't blow smoke. At least, I hope you do? :10500:

First off:

Biiiiig diff between applying and graduating.

But the second part deserves consideration also.
    #1. I already knew Xavier produced the most black doctors in the last FEW years. However, since ole boy decided to "prove me wrong" :wink: I would ask that he pull up data on the number of black doctors PRACTICING (not just the "newbies" - the 60 year olds as well ;) ) and the schools they graduated from. As late as, I believe, 1987, Howard and Meharry together (my bad on that one - Meharry produced 1/2 of 1/2 of black doctors in the U.S.) produced not just "1/2" but OVER 3/4ths of ALL black doctors in the U.S.

Prove me wrong, Clyde.... and google. :lol:

P.S.
    And thanks. I just logged on to provide the links I promised Destee. Now that I see this thread was created simply to "prove me wrong" in a convo you were no part on, it will be up to you to "prove" that for the past 40 odd years, all those colleges mentioned in the OP article produced "most" of black U.S. doctors practicing today. :)

7. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684

Sister ... i'd like to believe you aint blow'n no smoke ... but i aint seen no evidence yet.

You made the claim ... so seems you'd be the one presenting the data.

iono ... maybe discussions aint what they useta be ... :nails:

Come on now ... i know you got some evidence ... right? ... :research:

Destee

8. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Read my P.S. to that post.

As for presenting evidence? Not when and/or until I get ready. And NEVER because another "listens in" and decides to challenge me on the board. Clyde made the challenge - it's up to him to get the figures for the past 40 odd years (I can go back 50, but that's cool) that show me wrong.... since he's made that claim.

And remember, I said 1/2 of all black doctors practicing.... not 1/2 of all black doctors who "recently" graduated... HALF of which haven't finished their Residency! Again, biggggg diff!

Clyde decided to jump into the convo I wasn't in with him. Fine. Produce the data. It's at MY fingertips..... and will stay there until he produces links to the contrary. ALL black doctors practicing TODAY, Clyde. Including old Doc Brown. :)

9. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684

Gosh Sister ... it's really not that big of a deal.

You did say in Brother OldSoul's class something specific about this topic, which I found somewhat mind blowing. I asked you to start a thread on it. I'd be amazed if it were true. I just thot it was worthy of discussion.

I'm glad Brother Clyde started the thread ... even if you don't wanna add anything yet.

It's about the topic for me ... not whatever issue you got with Brother Clyde.

You brought the topic up ... now you're running from it ... seems like.

Whatever ... do what you want.

Destee

10. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    I said it YESTERDAY! :10500: I said I would gather up the links, "yesterday." There was no time frame in which to get the info to you. I gave none and neither did you.

I'm sorry. But anytime a person starts up a thread just to "challenge" something I said elsewhere, they should be grateful I even respond. In fact, had you not tagged me, I wouldn't even have bothered to respond. You wanted some info. I was going to get it to you. Now? Hey! Go with Clyde's link that gives NO information about the schools MOST (more than half!) black doctors practicing in the U.S. today, i.e., black doctors who have practiced for the past 5, 10,15, 40 years, graduated from.