Black Education / Schools : The Medical Schools With the Highest Percentage of Graduates Who Are Black

Clyde C Coger Jr

PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
In the Spirit of Sankofa,

Destee ...

Earlier today in oldsoul's class, you challenged the assertion that Meharry Medical school in Nashville produced half of all black doctors. From what I've been able to find, you were correct to contest that issue.

In the first article, Meharry is cited as contributing to the 17% of Black doctors that earned degrees from predominately Black schools, a total of 195; while 1,129 African Americans graduated from U. S. medical schools, across the board.

In the second article, Meharry doesn't appear to be in the top ten schools or Black colleges that produce Black graduates, neither is Meharry mentioned. Top honors go to Xavier and Howard, respectively.

The Medical Schools With the Highest Percentage of Graduates Who Are Black

According to the Association of American Medical Colleges, in 2011, 1,129 African Americans graduated from U.S. medical schools. Blacks were 6.5 percent of all medical school graduates. Of the 1,129 African Americans earning medical degrees, 195 earned their degrees at the four predominantly Black medical schools at Howard, Meharry, Morehouse, and UCLA/Charles Drew. Thus, 17 percent of all Black doctors earned their medical degrees at a predominantly Black school.

http://www.jbhe.com/2013/04/the-med...ighest-percentage-of-graduates-who-are-black/

The Top Feeder Schools for Black Medical Students

The Association of American Medical Colleges has released data on the undergraduate colleges and universities that produced the most graduates who went on to apply to medical school. In 2011, 87 Black graduates of Howard University applied to medical school. Xavier University in New Orleans had 68 Black graduates who applied to U.S. medical schools.

Other colleges and universities in the top 10 in producing Black medical school applicants were the University of Miami, the University of Maryland, Hampton University, the University of South Florida, Cornell University, and Emory University.

If we look at the colleges and universities that produced the most Black graduates of medical schools, Xavier University is by far the leader of the pack. Some 60 graduates of Xavier University earned their medical degrees in 2011. This was almost double the number of medical school graduates from Howard University, which ranked second nationally. In 2011, 32 Howard graduates earned medical degrees. The University of Florida, Harvard University, Duke University, and Stanford University all had 20 graduates who earned medical degrees in 2011.

http://www.jbhe.com/2013/03/the-top-feeder-schools-for-black-medical-students/

Thank you Brother Clyde ... i thot that seemed to pat an answer ... very good!

I want Sister Kadijah to see this ... perhaps she has data to the contrary and will share it.

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

Thank you Brother Clyde ... i thot that seemed to pat an answer ... very good!

I want Sister Kadijah to see this ... perhaps she has data to the contrary and will share it.

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

... yvw Sister Destee,

Not wanting to be first, I waited on her for awhile, but I'm with you on that, hopefully she will.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back