Pan Africanism : The Massai demand their land back from the British!

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by panafrica, Aug 14, 2004.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    In a case which can possibly establish legal precident for African land claims against European nations. The Maasai of Kenya are demanding compensation from the British on land, which was leased to them in 1904 (the terms of the lease was for 100 years). Unlike many land claims, which Europeans deny, apparently the Maasai has a copy of the treaty this claim was based on. Hopefully this will lead to other Africans being able to reclaim their property or obtain compensation from Europeans without controversy (such as that which happened in Zimbabwe) Here is a link to the article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/3563718.stm

2. Emeka

Emeka Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Pan, whilst I agree with the Maasai people 100%; I think they are living in fantasy if they think they're going to get the their land back! This is the British we're dealing with here...the master colonialist power. Whilst other European nations may have surpassed the British in cruelty (namely the Belgians, Portuguese and Spanish), none come even close to the British Empire in terms of duplicity, perfidy, and sheer foxiness. If any nation knows how to sell a good lie...it's the British.

I can't believe that these guys (the Maasai) honestly believe that if they take the British to court they'll get their land back! I would fall off my chair and roll over laughing, if the situation wasn't so sad and infuriating. Pan, I don't care if the Maasai were able to get Sir Donald Stewart to come back from the grave and testify that he got the Maasai to sign that hundred year lease, it's not gonna make any difference. Do they actually believe that the British respect stupid worthless documents, which they used to seize the lands of the people they conquered? Do the Maasai really believe that the nation, which gave native American Indians and Australian Aborigines small pox laced blankets; the nation that amassed the largest wealth from the Atlantic slave trade (apart from the U.S); caused most of the worlds conflicts (through their partition of indigenous peoples lands); colonized one fifth of the worlds lands and one quarter of its population; and perfected the art of divide and conquer...is going to grant them they're land back based on some agreement they made a century ago? If so, I have some beautiful water-front properties in the middle of Colorado, which I think they'll be interested in. Thanx.

3. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    You are probably right Chuk...still this one is worth watching!

4. Emeka

Emeka Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Yeah Pan, its worth watching VERY closely indeed. It'll be a good lesson to teach us what happens when Black people put their faith in the words, laws and benevolence of other people, which is what we do time and time again. It's almost as if nothing will get us to stop believing in the words of the White man; not even slavery, colonialism, segregation, apartheid and neo-colonialism. What's it gonna to take for us to learn? Why do we continue to put are trust in people who despise and hate us?

That's why I'm a lot more angry with the Maasai than I am with the British. The British are evil liars and so I can not fault them for being true to themselves. However, the Maasai people already know what the British are like, yet they choose to trust them completely. They haven't learnt from all those rapes, which occurred (and still continue) at the hands of British soldiers. They haven't learned from the national catastrophe, which befell them when they were forced off their lands. They haven't learnt from Zimbabwe about the true nature of the British. WHEN will they learn!!!

This case is relevant to us here in the U.S because it should teach us Black people never to place any confidence in the government of this country. After all the Americans are of the same blood as the British (America is currently being trained in the arts of colonialism by the British). We all know that the U.S government is very adapt at cover ups, treachery and down right lying! Yet we still go on believing that this country is going to accept us into its mainstream society; that we are not still slaves; that Affirmative Action actually makes a difference to the lives of Black people; that integrating schools actually ended segregation; that putting a few Black faces on the boards of corporation and as heads of government agencies will really change our condition; and that electing God-knows how many Black people in to political office will mean that we will gain any significant power in the country. Thanx.

5. Emeka

Emeka Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    You see Pan, this is EXACTLY what I was talking about! The Kenyan government has just rejected the claims of the Maasai to their lands and has made void the lease, which was signed a hundred years ago. No doubt the British are behind this decision…the Kenyan government is just a cats paws being used to hide the influence of the true rulers of the country.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3570656.stm

6. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    I wonder does the Kenyan government recognize land purchases from the colonial era? This government has only existed since the 1960s, do they mean to suggest that no land purchases older than 40 years are recognized? This is garbage!!

7. Emeka

Emeka Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Pan, look how at how our Black "leadership" continues to carry out the biddings of their masters. Watching this kind of inappropriate behavior by Black leaders against the interests of their people makes me so angry!!! The Maasai people have a legitimate and legal claim over the land and were peacefully demonstrating over the illegal occupation by the White farmers; yet still, the Kenyan government forcefully puts down their protest (at the behest of the British government, no doubt). Why won't these people leave us alone?!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3594184.stm

8. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    This is why the Mau Mau occured...it sounds like Kenya is long overdue for another one. Talk about a people not learning from their history!

9. Emeka

Emeka Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Pan, I don't think the Maasai are going to go down the Mau Mau route. As I stated earlier, they've already placed their faith in the "benevolence" of the British legal system. They too have not learnt the lessons of history. Thanx.

10. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    The Gikuyu went the legal route too...they did for decades before they decided to revolt (Mau Mau) instead. It could happen again!