Black People : THE MAILMAN DELIVERS IN MISSISSPPI - BUT NOT NEW ORLEANS???

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Isaiah, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Isn't KARL Malone from Louisiana??? Don't Black folks count to this brother???
    Am I wrong to ask that question... I stand corrected if I am... Here's the story...

'The Mailman' and his crew bulldoze through bureaucracy to help victims By Tony Bertuca, USA TODAY
    Fri Sep 30, 7:29 AM ET

Karl "The Mailman" Malone is still delivering, no matter what the weather.

The former NBA all-star and a crew from his logging company in Arkansas spent two weeks in Pascagoula, Miss., hauling away debris left by Hurricane Katrina.

"Everything about this just felt right," Malone says. "My mom died two years ago, and in our last conversation, she told me that one day I would have to step up on a grand scale and help people. I knew this was it."

Malone, whose team cleared 114 lots, said he brought 18 vehicles to Pascagoula, including a backhoe, three bulldozers and several RVs for him and his crew.

"We were totally self-contained with our own food and everything," Malone says. "We didn't want to take even one bottle of water away from these people. When we told them we were doing this for free, they looked at us like we were crazy or something."

Malone, 42, an experienced truck driver and logger who was born in Bernice, La., spent 12 hours a day behind the wheel of his heavy machinery.

"We started every day at seven in the morning and didn't quit until we got it done," he says.

When Malone arrived, he says he ran into resistance from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and Army Corps of Engineers officials who said he wasn't authorized to bring his machinery into the area to clear private property.

"There was a lot of red tape, and I ain't got time for that," he says. "I found out that if you're going to do something good, just go ahead and do it."

Bob Anderson, a spokesman for the Army Corps of Engineers, says FEMA and the corps by law could only allow approved contractors to clear debris and that only government agencies could work on "public rights of way."

Malone says landowners were told that debris had to be moved out to the street before it could be hauled away. "How is a landowner who just lost everything going to pay $15,000 or $20,000 to have a lot cleared? I mean, there were two or three houses on top of one another in some places."

This put Malone in the middle of territorial disputes with private contractors.

"We had one guy come up to us and tell us to go to another neighborhood and that these people could afford to pay," Malone says. "I told him, 'Why should they pay? They just lost everything.' "

Bringing the kind of hardboiled attitude to philanthropy that made him a much-feared power-forward during 18 seasons with the Utah Jazz and one with the Los Angeles Lakers, Malone decided to stay right where he was.

"Once I get in my machine, no one is going to get me out," he says. "We just said 'the hell with it.' FEMA didn't approve, but we did it for the people."

Steve Glenn, a FEMA official in Mississippi, said rules regarding clearing debris on private property exist to protect individuals' rights: "We can't just go onto private property on a whim."

But Steve Mitchell, a public works official in Pascagoula, says Malone's crew performed a valuable service for the community.

"Our view was, more power to you," Mitchell says. "If he got resistance, he didn't get it from us. I wish I had known about the trouble he had. I wish he were still here. Essentially, we just said 'bless his heart.' "

Through it all, Malone said he and his men could not help but feel the joy begin to grow around them. "There are these American flags everywhere, and people have unbelievably big smiles," Malone says. "The feeling was a high that all the guys got."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20...iscrewbulldozethroughbureaucracytohelpvictims

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Brother Isaiah ... he helped Black people in Mississippi, used his own trucks, tools, money, time, everything.

Yet you can only find fault with what he's done?!!

Yes, you are wrong for asking this question.

It's like me posting to you ... uhhhh Brother Isaiah ... i know you were a Premium Member a couple few months, but wassup now ... you don't care about all these other months, or this community itself?!! Why haven't you done more Brother?!!

I would be as wrong as you are right now, if i were to present such to you.

Who am i to count your money and suggest what you should do with it?

I should simply be grateful that you were moved to help at all ... and i am ... :love:

I think we all should be grateful for what this Brother felt in his heart and Spirit to do ... instead of finding fault.

:heart:

Destee

3. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Destee, you are right, and I stand corrected... Soon and very soon, your check will be in mail...

Desste, just one question??? Are you so hard on me because you love me :luv: , or is it because I am just so darned loveable???? :hammer: Tough question, I know(smile!)

Peace!
    isaiah

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Brother Isaiah ... i don't mean to be hard on you at all.

There are some thoughts that come to my mind when reading a Member, that i keep to myself, for a number of reasons. It's really a blessing when a thought comes to my mind, and i'm moved in my Spirit to share it, hoping it will be received in the Spirit that it's being shared. You provide me many opportunities like this ... and i thank you for each and every one of them ... for everything!

You are both loved and loveable! :love:

This was not a tough question, compared to some you've given me! :wink:

Destee

5. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Destee, its so nice to be alone with you in this thread, together, forever, for always, for love..(smile!) I feel enveloped in the warm coccoon of of your love and caring... I no longer feel vulnerable here... I feel protected in your care... Ummmmmmm, it feels so wonderful :ilu:

Now, another question, Destee, can you elaborate on what is meant by this statement....

"There are some thoughts that come to my mind when reading a Member, that i keep to myself, for a number of reasons. It's really a blessing when a thought comes to my mind, and i'm moved in my Spirit to share it, hoping it will be received in the Spirit that it's being shared. You provide me many opportunities like this ... and i thank you for each and every one of them ... for everything!"

I wanna know what you mean by that - straight from your wise and wonderful and strong soul...

Sorry Karl!

Peace!
    Isaiah

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    lol Brother Isaiah ... i had a feeling that you would not be satisfied with that! :)

Hmmmm ... let me elaborate ...

Sometimes things come to my mind to share, but when i consider who i'm speaking to, what the topic is, and how it might be received, as well as a host of other things ... i'm led in my Spirit not to speak, or be very gentle if i do.

That rarely happens with you! :)

Even though my text might appear as though i'm being hard on you, i know you can take it. Not everyone can. I believe you'll receive what i'm saying, in the Spirit that it's being shared. That you will at least be willing to listen, and if there is room for correction in your own thinking, as it pertains to whatever the topic is, you'll embrace it. I know too, that if it doesn't fit, you'll challenge me, which is always fun! :)

I enjoy our exchanges. I always have. Even though they have gotten heated at times, i learn from you and i hope you learn from me.

It's a pleasure to engage you.

Does that help?

Destee

7. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62

Ahhhhh, I just had to return to this thread, Destee, to bask in the warm brown sand of your love and caring...(smile!) I think that when I am finished warming my soul here, I will go into a lotus pose, and mindfully meditate on how wonderful it is to be so close to you, though so far away...

Destee, promise me something???? Promise me that you will never close this this thread, for it has become something of a sacred place of contemplation on the Deity I have been in search of all my days on the earth, the Deity known as DesteeDotCom...Ahhhhhhhh! Whooooooooo....and Lawd Have Mercy!!!!

Thank you, Karl, the Mailman sho did DELIVER! UMMMM, Ummm, UMMMM, life is something special, now!(smile!)

OH, yes, Destee, I understand, now - always did... I just wanted you to talk, and talk, and talk, and sooothe me with your warm, sweet potato-brown words of buttery sweetness(smile!) I am healed...

Thanks, again, Karl, you're not just a mailman, you're an angel, brotha!(smile!)

Peace!
    Isaiah

8. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Auuuuuummmmmmm....

Warm Brown sand, soft as the shore...

Leaving me hungrier - crying for more...

Oooooooowe, girl, you're such a score,

And I want you to Knoooooooow thaaaat!!!!

Ebony Eyes...Oh My!(smile!)

I shall never let this thread, nor my love for you, die

Dear Destee...

Thanks, Karl - for the love of my life:shutup:

Peace!
    Isaiah

9. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    My Cherie Amour
    ~ Stevie Wonder ​

La la la la la la
    La la la la la la

My Cherie Amour, lovely as a summer's day
    My Cherie Amour, distant as the Milky Way
    My Cherie Amour, pretty little one that I adore
    You're the only girl my heart beats for
    How I wish that you were mine

In a cafe or sometimes on a crowded street
    I've been near you, but you never notice me
    My Cherie Amour, won't you tell me how could you ignore
    That behind that little smile I wore

Maybe someday you'll see my face among the crowd
    Maybe someday I'll share your little distant cloud
    Oh, Cherie Amour, pretty little one that I adore
    You're the only girl my heart beats for

La la la la la la
    La la la la la la

Hehehehe, "see" ya in chat one of these days!:car:

Gee, thanks, KARL! You're a matchmaker, you cad!(smile!)

PEACE!~
    ISAIAH