Black Women : The 'lucky' world of black men

Zulile

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jun 24, 2007
Occupation
HR/Finance
245buo7.png

Dr. Malveaux is an economist, author and commentator, and the Founder & Thought Leader of Last Word Productions, Inc, a multimedia production company.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2008/03/the-lucky-world.html

By Julianne Malveaux

Former Democratic vice presidential candidate Geraldine Ferraro recently chose to try to drive a wedge among voters on the issue of race and gender.

"If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position," Ferraro, a supporter of Hillary Clinton, told a California newspaper. "And if he was a woman, he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is."

With a woman and a black man vying for the first time for the Democratic presidential nomination this year, women of color are increasingly being asked whether they are voting their race or their gender — as if we could divide them. The truth is, race and gender are intertwined for black women, and both are determinants in their economic, social, political and educational status.

The intersection of race and gender also has created a third burden for black women: the way the majority of society marginalizes black men. A stunning example of this third burden is evident in the labor market. In February, the white unemployment rate was 4.3%, while the black jobless rate was 8.3%. For those older than 20, 6.5% of African-American women were unemployed, compared with 7.9% of African-American men. The fact that black men take a greater economic hit than others in this economy is a burden to black women because we have futures that are intertwined.

African-American women often are the mothers, daughters, sisters and wives of the African-American men who have extremely disparate outcomes in our society — more likely to be arrested, less likely to work, more likely to be marginalized, less likely to attend college. The status of African-American men affects the quality of life for African-American women.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2008/03/the-lucky-world.html

jamesfrmphilly said:
black men are lucky because we have access to black women.

This article seems to imply that it is the Black man who is partially responsible for holding the Black woman down.. I posted this in the Black Womens forum as I wondered if any Sistah felt similiar sentiments - if they battled race VERSUS (not and) gender issue.

I recall brother oldsoul touching on this topic during a Black history month class - entitled 'rape'. I'll have to go back and listen to it again...

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back