Law Forum : THE LEGALIZATION OF POT

[QUOTE="Kemetstry, post: 871557, member: 46"

Study finds signs of brain changes in pot smokers

Evidence of changes in the brain shows an early indication of what potentially can become a problem later on with prolonged use. By MALCOLM RITTERAP Science Writer

E04F27DE8AE31B7E3E2EAC98E2884_h200_w300_m2_bblack_q99_p99_ciDgAOXJH.jpg

NEW YORK (AP) — A small study of casual marijuana smokers has turned up evidence of changes in the brain, a possible sign of trouble ahead, researchers say. The young adults who volunteered for the study were not dependent on pot, nor did they show any marijuana-related problems.

"What we think we are seeing here is a very early indication of what becomes a problem later on with prolonged use," things like lack of focus and impaired judgment, said Dr. Hans Breiter, a study author.

Longer-term studies will be needed to see if such brain changes cause any symptoms over time, said Breiter, of the Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine and Massachusetts General Hospital.

Previous studies have shown mixed results in looking for brain changes from marijuana use, perhaps because of differences in the techniques used, he and others noted in Wednesday's issue of the Journal of Neurosciences.

The study is among the first to focus on possible brain effects in recreational pot smokers, said Dr. Nora Volkow, director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse. The federal agency helped pay for the work. She called the work important but preliminary.

The 20 pot users in the study, ages 18 to 25, said they smoked marijuana an average of about four days a week, for an average total of about 11 joints. Half of them smoked fewer than six joints a week. Researchers scanned their brains and compared the results to those of 20 non-users who were matched for age, sex and other traits.

The results showed differences in two brain areas associated with emotion and motivation — the amygdala and the nucleus accumbens. Users showed higher density than non-users, as well as differences in shape of those areas. Both differences were more pronounced in those who reported smoking more marijuana.

Volkow said larger studies are needed to explore whether casual to moderate marijuana use really does cause anatomical brain changes, and if so, whether that leads to any impairment. The current work doesn't determine whether casual to moderate marijuana use is harmful to the brain, she said.

Murat Yucel of Monash University in Australia, who has studied the brains of marijuana users but didn't participate in the new study, said in an email that the new results suggest "the effects of marijuana can occur much earlier than previously thought." Some of the effect may depend on a person's age when marijuana use starts, he said.

Another brain researcher, Krista Lisdahl of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, said her own work has found similar results. "I think the clear message is we see brain alterations before you develop dependence," she said. .[/QUOTE]

The legalization of marijuana is an integral part of an ongoing effort/initiative by the POWER ELITE to reduce Humanity in general, the lower echelons specifically into BRAIN DEAD AUTOMATONS with less spiritual/intellectual agility/rational processing power with regard to factual information than an amoeba or brick; which is going very very well isn’t it [as underlined by the carnage caused by the heroin and crack cocaine pumped into African American communities over the last 40 years], even the socio-economic/political elite are in the main either completely CLUELESS, or maybe just hoping that we’re all already so STUPID as to not KNOW when they are lying to us?

How could regularly taking any sort of smoke into your lungs ever be good for you, short or long term, and is there a reason why some truly believe that Pot isn’t a narcotic or drug making widespread usage even marginally defendable?

Utility of Pot as a crutch during excessive stress doesn’t stop it being harmful does it, as exemplified by friends and associates of mine who smoke regularly who were comparable/even better than me athletically/aesthetically when we were teenagers whereas NOW are like prunes/nowhere near my level, with some of them also encountering mental health issues?

Isn’t it always going to be very very challenging preventing WEAK people from destroying themselves [and others who might end up in the wrong place at the wrong time/come into contact with them when they are out of control]?

As to Obama or anyone else asserting that cannabis is safer than alcohol; safer for whom in that when are we ALL ever likely to respond to either substance in an identical manner?

Can any of you explain exactly how an ex partner of mine [she only weighed 120 pounds] could drink a bottle of Bacardi and not even fall over [even a quarter of which would wipe me out for days and I’m 265 pounds at 6 foot 4 tall]; or even another ex partner/now a good friend of mine who managed to sample ALL the class A drugs out there, walked away from being addicted to crack cocaine and heroin without any formal Counselling/ help, but told me she had to give up on cannabis from her late teens because it made her paranoid, but she’s never managed to give up cigarettes?

Isn’t the fundamental problem/flaw with universalizing about any mind altering addictive substance [look at the problems many people are having with food/the obesity tsunami worldwide] the fact that we are not all the same?

[QUOTE="Kemetstry, post: 871557, member: 46"Peoples metabolism and ability to handle different substances are dependent on their genetics. EXACTLY.

Additionally the fact that alcohol is legal as opposed to prohibited has not curtailed the number of people worldwide becoming alcoholics, or even the carnage/grief regularly created by alcohol abuse, so why should/would Pot being legalized create a significant benefit as opposed to probably just creating more GRIEF?

Isn’t ANYONE who genuinely believes they are not programmed
graphically illustrating that their programming is COMPLETE?

[QUOTE="Kemetstry, post: 871557, member: 46"

Study finds signs of brain changes in pot smokers

Evidence of changes in the brain shows an early indication of what potentially can become a problem later on with prolonged use. By MALCOLM RITTERAP Science Writer

E04F27DE8AE31B7E3E2EAC98E2884_h200_w300_m2_bblack_q99_p99_ciDgAOXJH.jpg

NEW YORK (AP) — A small study of casual marijuana smokers has turned up evidence of changes in the brain, a possible sign of trouble ahead, researchers say. The young adults who volunteered for the study were not dependent on pot, nor did they show any marijuana-related problems.

"What we think we are seeing here is a very early indication of what becomes a problem later on with prolonged use," things like lack of focus and impaired judgment, said Dr. Hans Breiter, a study author.

Longer-term studies will be needed to see if such brain changes cause any symptoms over time, said Breiter, of the Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine and Massachusetts General Hospital.

Previous studies have shown mixed results in looking for brain changes from marijuana use, perhaps because of differences in the techniques used, he and others noted in Wednesday's issue of the Journal of Neurosciences.

The study is among the first to focus on possible brain effects in recreational pot smokers, said Dr. Nora Volkow, director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse. The federal agency helped pay for the work. She called the work important but preliminary.

The 20 pot users in the study, ages 18 to 25, said they smoked marijuana an average of about four days a week, for an average total of about 11 joints. Half of them smoked fewer than six joints a week. Researchers scanned their brains and compared the results to those of 20 non-users who were matched for age, sex and other traits.

The results showed differences in two brain areas associated with emotion and motivation — the amygdala and the nucleus accumbens. Users showed higher density than non-users, as well as differences in shape of those areas. Both differences were more pronounced in those who reported smoking more marijuana.

Volkow said larger studies are needed to explore whether casual to moderate marijuana use really does cause anatomical brain changes, and if so, whether that leads to any impairment. The current work doesn't determine whether casual to moderate marijuana use is harmful to the brain, she said.

Murat Yucel of Monash University in Australia, who has studied the brains of marijuana users but didn't participate in the new study, said in an email that the new results suggest "the effects of marijuana can occur much earlier than previously thought." Some of the effect may depend on a person's age when marijuana use starts, he said.

Another brain researcher, Krista Lisdahl of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, said her own work has found similar results. "I think the clear message is we see brain alterations before you develop dependence," she said. .

The legalization of marijuana is an integral part of an ongoing effort/initiative by the POWER ELITE to reduce Humanity in general, the lower echelons specifically into BRAIN DEAD AUTOMATONS with less spiritual/intellectual agility/rational processing power with regard to factual information than an amoeba or brick; which is going very very well isn’t it [as underlined by the carnage caused by the heroin and crack cocaine pumped into African American communities over the last 40 years], even the socio-economic/political elite are in the main either completely CLUELESS, or maybe just hoping that we’re all already so STUPID as to not KNOW when they are lying to us?

How could regularly taking any sort of smoke into your lungs ever be good for you, short or long term, and is there a reason why some truly believe that Pot isn’t a narcotic or drug making widespread usage even marginally defendable?

Utility of Pot as a crutch during excessive stress doesn’t stop it being harmful does it, as exemplified by friends and associates of mine who smoke regularly who were comparable/even better than me athletically/aesthetically when we were teenagers whereas NOW are like prunes/nowhere near my level, with some of them also encountering mental health issues?

Isn’t it always going to be very very challenging preventing WEAK people from destroying themselves [and others who might end up in the wrong place at the wrong time/come into contact with them when they are out of control]?

As to Obama or anyone else asserting that cannabis is safer than alcohol; safer for whom in that when are we ALL ever likely to respond to either substance in an identical manner?

Can any of you explain exactly how an ex partner of mine [she only weighed 120 pounds] could drink a bottle of Bacardi and not even fall over [even a quarter of which would wipe me out for days and I’m 265 pounds at 6 foot 4 tall]; or even another ex partner/now a good friend of mine who managed to sample ALL the class A drugs out there, walked away from being addicted to crack cocaine and heroin without any formal Counselling/ help, but told me she had to give up on cannabis from her late teens because it made her paranoid, but she’s never managed to give up cigarettes?

Isn’t the fundamental problem/flaw with universalizing about any mind altering addictive substance [look at the problems many people are having with food/the obesity tsunami worldwide] the fact that we are not all the same?

[QUOTE="Kemetstry, post: 871557, member: 46"Peoples metabolism and ability to handle different substances are dependent on their genetics. EXACTLY.

Additionally the fact that alcohol is legal as opposed to prohibited has not curtailed the number of people worldwide becoming alcoholics, or even the carnage/grief regularly created by alcohol abuse, so why should/would Pot being legalized create a significant benefit as opposed to probably just creating more GRIEF?

Isn’t ANYONE who genuinely believes they are not programmed
graphically illustrating that their programming is COMPLETE?
[/QUOTE]

That's what the pot heads want to believe. That there is no detriment and in fact a benefit from smoking pot. Just as alcohol came with issues from abuse. So will abuse from pot smokers

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back