Black History : The Language of the Akan

We

REGISTERED MEMBER
Sep 11, 2004
Occupation
Nationbuilding
Akan, often called Twi, is one of the Kwa group of Niger-Congo Languages. It was the ruling language of Ashanti empire and is now the most important language of Ghana. Even among, some who use other languages in daily life, Akan is the language of the priesthood and of liturgical texts in the Ashanti religion, still widely practiced in Western Africa.

There are three standard forms of Akan , all mutually intelligible: Twi or Asante (of the region of Kumasi, center of the Ashanti empire), Fante and Akuapem (of southern Ghana).

It is important to note the most Afrikans who now reside in the Western Hemisphere were stolen from this part of the motherland.

Therefore, is it reasonable for us to learn, speak and respect this language?

Lazarus said:
Akan, often called Twi, is one of the Kwa group of Niger-Congo Languages. It was the ruling language of Ashanti empire and is now the most important language of Ghana. Even among, some who use other languages in daily life, Akan is the language of the priesthood and of liturgical texts in the Ashanti religion, still widely practiced in Western Africa.

There are three standard forms of Akan , all mutually intelligible: Twi or Asante (of the region of Kumasi, center of the Ashanti empire), Fante and Akuapem (of southern Ghana).

It is important to note the most Afrikans who now reside in the Western Hemisphere were stolen from this part of the motherland.

Therefore, is it reasonable for us to learn, speak and respect this language?

It is true that Akan/Ashate is one of the important(popular) languages in Ghana and it is widely spoken in some parts of West Africa. I believe these areas where Akan is spoken now was/is part of the Ashante Empire.

It is important to note that most Afrikans who now reside in the Western hemisphere were stolen from this part of the motherland as historians would put it. But i somehow do not agree with that.

Ashante was the most powerful tribe/empire throughtout ancient Ghana and thus captured and sold other people from the Nothern Part of Ghana ( Savelugu/salaga where the slave market still stands, including the defence wall built with pure honey and sand/mud) and other parts of West Africa. The
Notheren Ghana suffered most in terms of slavery because they had no better weponery and thus were frequently attacked by the Ashante's then sold to the british and other slave traders within West Africa.
i say, slaves who came from the Ashante empire were either captured by the Bristish themselves or other tribes when they lost a war.
I am just bringing forth my point of view.
But nevertheless, Ashanti is still the powerful Empire in the south of Ghana and Twi is popular thoughtout Ghana. So it is important for one to learn how to speak this language and respect it as well

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back