Black History Culture : The Language of the Akan

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by We, Jan 4, 2006.

1. We

We Well-Known Member MEMBER

Nationbuilding
    Ratings:
    +11
    Akan, often called Twi, is one of the Kwa group of Niger-Congo Languages. It was the ruling language of Ashanti empire and is now the most important language of Ghana. Even among, some who use other languages in daily life, Akan is the language of the priesthood and of liturgical texts in the Ashanti religion, still widely practiced in Western Africa.

There are three standard forms of Akan , all mutually intelligible: Twi or Asante (of the region of Kumasi, center of the Ashanti empire), Fante and Akuapem (of southern Ghana).

It is important to note the most Afrikans who now reside in the Western Hemisphere were stolen from this part of the motherland.

Therefore, is it reasonable for us to learn, speak and respect this language?

2. ibrahim

ibrahim Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ghana
    Student
    Ratings:
    +122
    It is true that Akan/Ashate is one of the important(popular) languages in Ghana and it is widely spoken in some parts of West Africa. I believe these areas where Akan is spoken now was/is part of the Ashante Empire.

It is important to note that most Afrikans who now reside in the Western hemisphere were stolen from this part of the motherland as historians would put it. But i somehow do not agree with that.

Ashante was the most powerful tribe/empire throughtout ancient Ghana and thus captured and sold other people from the Nothern Part of Ghana ( Savelugu/salaga where the slave market still stands, including the defence wall built with pure honey and sand/mud) and other parts of West Africa. The
    Notheren Ghana suffered most in terms of slavery because they had no better weponery and thus were frequently attacked by the Ashante's then sold to the british and other slave traders within West Africa.
    i say, slaves who came from the Ashante empire were either captured by the Bristish themselves or other tribes when they lost a war.
    I am just bringing forth my point of view.
    But nevertheless, Ashanti is still the powerful Empire in the south of Ghana and Twi is popular thoughtout Ghana. So it is important for one to learn how to speak this language and respect it as well

3. We

We Well-Known Member MEMBER

Nationbuilding
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks Brother! You don't know how much I appreciate and value your point of view!

Medase pa

4. ibrahim

Ghana
    Student
    Ratings:
    +122

You are very welcome brother Laz.
    I will ask around to see if i can get you a book or something.
    i see you are much interesting in learning that language.

5. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    Akan Class Starting This Week

I attended the final presentation of the last 8 week intro course and was VERY impressed at how much those students learned in just 8 weeks.

The instructor is obviously a talented teacher. I'm ready to put in work on this. Can't wait!

http://www.*****************/Akan_Class_Information.php

6. Akyeame Kwame

Akyeame Kwame Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Mepa wo kyEw, meda ase! I am glad you were impressed. We at Abibitumi Kasa Afrikan Language Institute take what we do very seriously so there "ain't no half steppin'"

I look forward to seeing you in the next class session starting next week or another session in the future, whatever works best for you.

Akyire...

Obadele Kwame Kambon
    Abibitumi Kasa Afrikan Language Institute

7. Sha'iyn

Sha'iyn Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    construction
    i live in TushKauLoosa Ali Baba or Tuscaloosa, Ala
    Ratings:
    +8
    why not?

post a few words a day in twi and akan languages to help those who would like to learn how to speak them. i am one of the ones who would love to speak an afrikan language.

8. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Enlightening information you've shared here! Thank you for it!

9. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,732
    Awesome! Sister cherryblossom, thank you bumping this post up.

The fact that SLAVERY took place in this part of Africa should be the reason why we need to do more research on this subject and also, we need to look at dates and other issues concerning the whole of Africa.

Somebody was in agreement with the white man and for this reason MILLIONS of Africans were stolen out of Africa and reduced from being 'humans to being slaves' and the motive is Black-on-Black hate.

10. ibrahim

Ghana
    Student
    Ratings:
    +122
    I agree.