Black Sports : The "Knee-Jerk" Response

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by Deepvoice, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Deepvoice

Deepvoice Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    Most all respected trainers agree on one thing: They can tell from a kid's first sparring session if he has what it takes to be a fighter. It has nothing to do with speed or technique, and it has nothing to do with being a great boxer. It has everything to do with the unique nature of a fighting man. You can perfect jabs, hooks, crosses, combinations, footwork; you can't teach TESTICULAR FORTITUDE(you know what I mean).

There is a difference between courage and testicular fortitude. Courage is being able to overcome your fear and standing up to your opponent even in the face of doubt. TF(first letter initials) is being of full confidence, so much so that fear or defeat never crosses your mind for a second.

One is the mentality of the survivor and the other is the mentality of the winner.

So basically the man with the testicular fortitude first response is to fight back even when overmatched, but the man with the courage must give thought to it before making the decision to fight back. One is done in the subconcious, the other isn't.

I want to hear your opinion on this especially Panafrica because you seem to be one of the few on the forum interested in boxing. One more thing, these are not my opinions at all. This has been much debated on the other site that I have visited and I have mixed feelings on it to be honest.

I always thought courage and determination were the key to being successful in anything. This seems more mystical and philosophical than factual. Maybe I'm wrong though?

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Jack Lamotta was once quoted, "I fought like I didn't deserve to live". He was never knocked down in a fight, and is considered to have the best chin in boxing history. TESTICULAR FORTITUDE or Heart (whatever you want to call it) is an important part of boxing. Without it a fighter is likely to fold the 1st time he is in a competitive match. Although I agree that TESTICULAR FORTITUDE is something that can't be taught (you either have it or you don't). I'm not sure the difference between that and courage is as great as some are making it out to be. Brother Deepvoice I agree with your opinion that courage and determination are keys to being successful in anything. Also you are correct in believing this debate is more philosophical than factual.

3. Deepvoice

Ratings:
    +4
    I hate when people do that Pan, it's like they want an excuse not to try. Instead of saying that intelligence and the awareness of things around you can be improved, they say that it's genetic instead. You're either born smart or born dumb. That is a load of crap as far as I'm concerned.

4. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    "Testicular Fortitude" is why some boxers don't know how to hang up the gloves and go home. :lol:

In boxing, this is not true per se. Give me the thinking boxer...the boxer who knows how to change plans in the ring....like a Roy Jones, Jr. or a Floyd Mayweather, Jr. Even Bernard Hopkins. These guys tactically break you down until they can knock you out or win the fight. I admit these aren't very good examples but they're close in the thinking in the ring department.

Most sports are thinking games. Yeah, strength and speed are a factor when they can not be overcome by the other opponent. But, give me a gal or guy who is a little slower...a little weaker...but can figure out ways to set you up. It's all over.

And Pan, I realize that Roy Jones, Jr. may be suffering from Testicular Fortitude. :lol:

5. Deepvoice

Ratings:
    +4
    Testicular Fortitude Syndrome, that's a new one. I hope Roy Jones Jr doesn't make himself look silly.