Black Spirituality Religion : The Kemetic Story of Creation and its' Purpose

Omowale

My "calling" is from a great-grandmother who was born in Kaufman, TX, who died a year prior to my birth. She is the connection to "Het-Heru", born on Friday, in the month of September, and associated with the zodiacal Virgo.

In IFA, she is representative of OSHUN.

It was through Her that I found the link to the Legend of Oduduwa.

I was reading about how in the Yoruba/Santeria and other West African originated religions your spiritual family isn't necessarily related to your biological family.

Your spiritual family are those under which ever Orisha you are assigned to.

Do you know if this is true or not?

Also is "IFA" a religion or does it just mean "spirit"?

Knowledge of self is heavy

omowalejabali said:
Several legends concerning the origin and ancestry of Oduduwa abound in Yourba and Benin mythology. The Yoruba believe he is the father of the Yoruba and progenitor of all Yoruba Oba's and the Oba of Benin.

The Bini believe that he is a Benin prince called EKLADERHAN who was banished by his father, the Ogiso of Benin.

Oduduwa is believed to have had several sons who later became very powerful traditional rulers of Yorubaland.

Yoruba tradition holds that Oduduwa fled from Mecca to Ile-Ife, bringing with him the Ifa religion which was under persecution in Mecca. He established it firmly in Ile-Ife and founded the Ogboni cult to protect the ancient customs and institutions of his people.

Now may I ask, what period in history did this take place? Was this during the time of Islam or the pre-Islamic period in Mecca?

You have a brother deeply fasinated...lol

Pharaoh Jahil said:
Now may I ask, what period in history did this take place? Was this during the time of Islam or the pre-Islamic period in Mecca?

You have a brother deeply fasinated...lol

I am not sure but I believe it was during the period of Islam as Oduduwa's son Oranmiyan ruled the Benin Empire around 1,000 AD.

This is difficult since the Legend is based on oral tradition and today there is dispute between Yourba and Bini, with many Bini disclaiming any account of Yoruba over-Lordship.

One source with a number of links is at:
http://www.cultural-expressions.com/ifa/orisha/oduduwa.htm

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back