Black Spirituality Religion : The Judas Gospels

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Keita Kenyatta, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    Just when one thinks they have it all, Mr. Charlie...aka "white man" throws a monkey wrench in your ideas and beliefs. Check this out !

Ancient text shows a different Judas
    RANDOLPH E. SCHMID
    Associated Press

WASHINGTON - For 2,000 years Judas has been reviled for betraying Jesus. Now a newly translated ancient document seeks to tell his side of the story.

The "Gospel of Judas" tells a far different tale from the four gospels in the New Testament. It portrays Judas as a favored disciple who was given special knowledge by Jesus - and who turned him in at Jesus' request.

"You will be cursed by the other generations - and you will come to rule over them," Jesus tells Judas in the document made public Thursday.

The text, one of several ancient documents found in the Egyptian desert in 1970, was preserved and translated by a team of scholars. It was made public in an English translation by the National Geographic Society.

Religious and lay readers alike will debate the meaning and truth of the manuscript.

But it does show the diversity of beliefs in early Christianity, said Marvin Meyer, professor of Bible studies at Chapman University in Orange, Calif.

The text, in the Coptic language, was dated to about the year 300 and is a copy of an earlier Greek version.

A "Gospel of Judas" was first mentioned around A.D. 180 by Bishop Irenaeus of Lyon, in what is now France. The bishop denounced the manuscript as heresy because it differed from mainstream Christianity. The actual text had been thought lost until this discovery.

Elaine Pagels, a professor of religion at Princeton University, said, "The people who loved, circulated and wrote down these gospels did not think they were heretics."

Added Rev. Donald Senior, president of the Catholic Theological Union of Chicago: "Let a vigorous debate on the significance of this fascinating ancient text begin."

Senior expressed doubt that the new gospel will rival the New Testament, but he allowed that opinions are likely to vary.

Craig Evans, a professor at Acadia Divinity College in Nova Scotia, Canada, said New Testament explanations for Judas' betrayal range from money to the influence of Satan.

"Perhaps more now can be said," he commented. The document "implies that Judas only did what Jesus wanted him to do."

Christianity in the ancient world was much more diverse than it is now, with a number of gospels circulating in addition to the four that were finally collected into the New Testament, noted Bart Ehrman, chairman of religious studies at the University of North Carolina.

Eventually, one point of view prevailed and the others were declared heresy, he said, including the Gnostics who believed that salvation depended on secret knowledge that Jesus imparted, particularly to Judas.

In Cairo, the editor of the Coptic weekly "Watani," Youssef Sidhom, did not want to make an immediate judgment on the manuscript.

"However," he said, "this will not greatly affect the central belief that considers Judas as a traitor, but there is an old school of thought that says one should not persecute Judas because his role was to complete the prophecies. It seems that the new manuscript will support this point of view - that Judas' role was pivotal to completing the prophecies."

The newly translated document's text begins: "The secret account of the revelation that Jesus spoke in conversation with Judas Iscariot."

In a key passage Jesus tells Judas, "You will exceed all of them. For you will sacrifice the man that clothes me."

This indicates that Judas would help liberate the spiritual self by helping Jesus get rid of his physical flesh, the scholars said.

"Step away from the others and I shall tell you the mysteries of the kingdom," Jesus says to Judas, singling him out for special status. "Look, you have been told everything. Lift up your eyes and look at the cloud and the light within it and the stars surrounding it. The star that leads the way is your star."

The text ends with Judas turning Jesus over to the high priests and does not include any mention of the crucifixion or resurrection.

National Geographic said the author believed that Judas Iscariot alone understood the true significance of Jesus' teachings. The author of the text is not named in the writings.

Discovered in 1970, the papyrus was kept in a safety deposit box for several years and began to deteriorate before conservators restored it. More than 1,000 pieces had to be reassembled.

The material will be donated to the Coptic museum in Cairo, Egypt, so it can be available to all scholars said Ted Waitt of the Waitt Institute for Historical Discovery, which helped finance the restoration.

In addition to radio carbon dating, the manuscript was also authenticated through ink analysis, multispectral imaging, content and linguistic style and handwriting style, National Geographic reported.

Now you know I find this very interesting. Why? Because my resources tell me that so called Jesus died at about 60 something years old. I also have documents stating where he went to school and where he retired.

2. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    ...This is news to me! First of all, I thought he died younger than that. Secondly, if we went to school, who taught him? That means that he was not the only one who had all knowledge on heaven and on earth. Someone who taught him must have had the same thing.

CD

3. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Hmmmmm......I Dunno Know BoutThis One.......

I wonder how they brainstormed this one Will this be called the new(er) testament?:book:

4. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    yeah...the national geographic show about these so called authenic documents will be on this sunday.....

one love
    khasm

5. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    Precisely. How convenient that this new "Gospel" just shows up out of nowhere. :rolleyes:

6. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    And you know convenience is never accidental. Something is afoot.

After 25 years of indoctrination in the church I am just now discovering the glaring contradictions in the biblical stories about Judas: he bought the potter's field; the priestd bought the potter's field; he died by hanging himself; he died by falling from a high place; he betrayed Jesus with a kiss; Jesus went to the soldiers himself and asked them who they were seeking. Maybe i'm not the only one who has of late read outside the prescribed memory verses and seen stuff I wasn't supposed to see. So now they need something new.

I can hear the preachers now "The wisdom of man is foolishness to God, Justkeep believing the bible and keep sending in your tithes. "

7. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    What probably makes this so interesting is that, unlike the other four gospels, this one is not an interpretation from the greek I think. Furthermore, we have to look at how long they had these before they even decided to say anything about them. "What power" kept this information from coming out sooner since they had them ever since 1970? My understanding is that the only reason they are speaking on it now is because it is disentigrating. I can't wait to see the special on this.

8. Sefirot

Sefirot Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +14
    As I was taught and understand it, Yashua ("Jesus" is Greek, but we all know who we're talking about either way) never died. He continued the rest of his travels with Martha and Mary (his two wives). It was actually Judas (Yahuda Iscariot, from Kerioth of Judea) whom Jesus made to look like him. Joseph of Arimathea was the only one (besides Mary) who new it was actually Judas on the cross. Joseph, like Jesus, was of the Order of the Essenes (the ones who initially buried the Qumran tablets/Dead Sea scrolls), the last of the brotherhoods of prophets (The Jedi's of Star Wars?) He was also a member of the Sanhedrins in which he held a high office (brotha had clout). Joseph, wanting to avoid Judas' body hanging on the cross overnight asked Pilate for the body of Jesus (really Judas). He explained that he wished to lay the body in a private tomb which was made of rock in Golgotha. Joseph paid Pilate (recall that Joseph was a rich Israelite) and removed the body. Joseph and Nicodemus anointed it and placed it in the tomb where Judas' soul was taken above. They took the body out (now resembling Judas once more) and people destroyed it and threw the remains over a cliff to see it burst.
    So, Yashua and his family went to Damascus (2 miles from the city in Maqami today. It was Rabwah back then). This is where Martha died of Malaria. Yashua went on to Egypt where he was excepted as a student attaining 720* (360* physical and 360* spiritual). He ascended at 120 yrs of age. As I was taught and understand it.

9. Aqil

Aqil Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +114
    Peace Sefirot, and welcome. A very enlightening post. Are you familiar with The Jesus Scroll by Donovan Joyce? It was published in 1971, and in it Joyce also points out that Judas is not treated as a traitor in the Orthodox churches, and suggests that Jesus married Mary Magdalene, had a son, survived the cricifixion, but died at Masada in 73 AD. None of these ideas - whether it is the Da Vinci Code, the Holy Blood and the Holy Grail, hidden or stolen scrolls or whatever - are new.

(Btw, do you pronounce your username the same way the word "shephirot" is pronounced?)

10. I-khan

I-khan Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +47
    I heard the same,I also have read on how Yashua may have settled down with is wives and had children whose descendents would be known as the Merovingians.