Pan Africanism : The Joy & Pain of Inter-racial relationships: A African Perspective.

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by panafrica, Jun 1, 2004.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Inter-racial relationships is one of the most controversal topics on Destee. Although it has been discussed several times, I found an interesting article about a mixed relationship between an African man & a Asian woman. Among many of the observations was a quote from the Asian woman stating that a white partner is often seen as a "prize", even if he or she is a layabout, an alcoholic, or spouse-abuser. This is a reality which is rarely admitted in inter-racial relationships, and deserves further exploration, enjoy:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/3765951.stm

2. Joyce

Joyce Well-Known Member MEMBER

people
    Ratings:
    +56
    Yes, I agree. It is one of the most controversial subjects discussed here. But the bottomline is...whether it is accepted or not, the world is changing and at the rate at which it is changing, I forsee a very colorful world in the future. The KKK's vision could literally be wiped out at the rate the brothas are giving them black babies for grandchildren.:lol: That's a good thing huh.

...feeling humorous today :wave:

~j

3. Lucky

Lucky Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    Oh God another "Jungle fever" thread! LOL

4. AfroBoricuaRoni

AfroBoricuaRoni Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student
    Ratings:
    +3
    mm mm mm

Ayee. The ignorance of race relations seems never ending. At least the numbers of awareness seem to be growing.

5. Emeka

Emeka Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Err...NO Ms. Joyce; this is NOT a "good thing"!!! Why is it such a "good thing" for Black people to destroy themselves racially just because other people choose to despise our color? Black people are always conditioned to believe that it is ok for them to choose White partners because they’ll give birth to mixed child; which is one step on the racial ladder from the dreaded Blackness towards the more desirable Whiteness. This is the integrationist philosophy, which does more to keep Blacks oppressed than anything else. It encourages the colorization of the race, and all the 'light skin/dark skin' issues that come with it.

Joyce, you must understand that in a “very colorful world" Black people would be more hated and despised than we are now. Why? Because as the numbers of mixed race offspring become substantial, they'll turn on those Blacks who are unmixed, and hate them even more than Whites. Why? Because, they won't forgive those unmixed Blacks for giving them the stigma of their Blackness. You think I'm kidding don't you...I assure you I'm not! What do you think about those who lobbied for the creation of a Bi-racial category in the 2000 U.S Censor? How about the likes of Tiger Woods, Vin Diesel, The Rock, J. Edgar Hoover, Lena Horne etc.

Now, by saying this I'm not in any way attacking those individuals who do happen to be the offspring of interracial couples; or those presently in interracial relationships. But what I'm saying to you is the truth. Hasn't anyone ever noticed how the images of Blackness look gradually more and more White? How, whenever a Black person appears on the media or a magazine they tend to be mixed as suppose to unmixed Blacks? Just by portraying mixed rather than unmixed Blacks, as the standard of Blackness, the code of societal White supremacy is being enforced.

Look around at the countries of Latin America (especially Brazil) there you'll see just how bad colorization has gripped our people. Although almost half (if not more) of Brazil's population is Black, the people are fiercely offended if they are called Black, most claiming to be mulatto; even though a lot of them are as unmixed as those Blacks in West Africa! So that you may understand the historical impact of colorization on our race, one only has to look at North Africa. The Berber peoples of Northern Africa used to be Black, but now look at them. They have been mixing with Whites from Europe and Arabia for ions and now many of them are White, whilst the others look mixed and some Black (the Black ones being at the bottom of the social ladder...of course). In fact the Berbers have always had an intense hatred for Black Africans for centuries (they were largely responsible for the fall of the three great Sudanese Empires of West Africa) and joined the Arabs in facilitating the Trans Saharan slave. This is STILL going on as we speak.

6. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Excellent post Chukwuemeka and welcome back!

Queenie :spinstar:

7. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Chukwuemeka has been back for a little while now....yes, excellent post brother. Whether or not we want to believe it..........there is no such thing as a "color-blind" society.

8. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I think that the problem isn't race-mixing in itself, but the fact that some people can't handle it. The fact that people stress light-skinned vs. dark-skinned, white vs. black, asian vs. black. People can't seem to just look at people as people, but always have to break it down by race. Race is an important part of everyone, and no one should forget who they are, but race doesn't always have to be the main factor in everything. I think it's sad. Like panafrica said, there is no such thing as a color-blind society, and there should'nt be because the color makes us unique. I do think that it's sad that our society is dominated by color-lines when it comes to everything from jobs, relationships and simple respect for others.

9. vj57

vj57 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    As Rodney said:

Can't we ALL just get along?

10. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    VJ if it were only that simple. The fact is that we have been in this country for 400 plus years. and for the most part, it is white people who do not wish to "get along" with blacks. This is why we when blacks move to a white neighborhood, whites move out. The same thing applies to the schools. what is called tracking.

There is definately a fear of a black planet :yo:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pan afrikaniscm interracial dating