Black People : The Jobs of Tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Metaverse, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Metaverse

Metaverse Well-Known Member MEMBER

Media Designer
    Ratings:
    +424
    [​IMG]

Who remembers "In Living Color" and the hardest working Jamaican Family - The Hanleys?

It was funny as heck then. But this might very well be our future. No. Not wearing a fake dreadloc wig working on an airline, but doing many positions for a single paycheck. I'm talking about answering phones as well as cleaning the bathrooms. Doing sales and marketing as well as flipping burgers.

But this idea is not native to West Indians alone, at least not anymore, and especially not in the future. A Sistah not too long ago told me about her new job, and I'm still scratching my head about it. She says she is a "house assistant" for single Men?? A house assistant? I asked "you mean you're a house wife?" She said no, that's not what we call it. A house assistant is a female that cooks, cleans, irons clothes and even get groceries and does laundry- like a maid but more, wifey I guess?

Right.

So my next question, as it is yours...does a "House Assistant" offer..ummm- she quickly said No. But I get the feeling that there is more to that "job" than she is willing to reveal publicly. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are single Men who would respect her position. No pun intended.

Is this the road we are traveling? If so, maybe we can deal with it. Haven't we always been Jacks and Jackies of all trades anyway? In the past I've had a pet peeve for people that put everything they do on one business card. You know like- painter, lawnman, tax consultant. It doesn't sound right. But we are living in some interesting times now.

Now I'm wondering if Women are in the market for House Assistants too...
    I'm not painting any toes, that's just taking it too far.

Considering all that you can do, what does your job of tomorrow look like?

Meta-
    Media Designer, Deep Thinker, Meditation Consultation.

2. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    I'm Home Schooling in the private sector and working with Grandma's to raise their Grandbabies, many of whose families have been torn apart by crackhead parents and deadbeat dad's who are nothing more than superfluous appendages.

(Please xcsue me but ya'll ain't dealt with brother Omowale yet fully equipped with a job. LOL!)

On the weekends I might be an outdoor hot dog and link vendor on the corner of Wilshire and Vermont outside the Metro station.

3. truetothecause

truetothecause Well-Known Member MEMBER

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    Hotep Brother MetaSaience...

my "job" of tomorrow...ummm:?:

seems it is the same job I have today.

Keeping myself Spiritually grounded or elevated in the face of all the B.S. floating about. That means for me....

1. doing unto others as I would have them do unto me.
    2. protect myself from the vomit sick people put out.
    3. maintain my focus on the cause of the illness as opposed to the effect.
    4. follow the beat of "THE SOURCE" drummer which plays for me and reveals to me daily that which I am to do
    5. maintain my focus on "the prize" despite evidence that suggest it's just an illusion
    6. working daily to practice what I preach and teach...and trust me...that is NO easy feat

Brother Omo....I must say....I am disappointed with your labeling those parents as "crackheads" and "deadbeat dads" who are mere "superfluous appendages". IF this is a working brother Omo....THEN it seems to be true....that when one is doing "better" they begin to stand in harsh judgment and critique of those who are doing "worse".

Brother MetaSaience.....At the rate things in this society are going....all our jobs is going to be working to prevent active re-enslavement. In my current position, I am classified as an "Exempt" employee. That is used to deny me overtime pay and/or compensatory time. My position is equally designed as to ensure that overtime is put in. With a caseload of up to 32-35 individuals who are supposed to be seen weekly for 1 hr sessions and facilitating two group sessions at 1 1/2 hr per week each and attending at least 2 hrs per wk. of mandatory meetings and 1 hr wk supervision plus take a 1/2 lunch break....not to mention the paperwork..one which is done every 2 months, one every 3 months one every 4 months, some yearly, end of the day service activity logs complete with progress notes for the day...copied and in a specific order.......all in a 40 hr week!

Please keep in mind...the individuals (consumers/clients/participants) are people who have been traumatized, rejected, neglected, abused and are doing the same thing to themselves by self-medicating with substances of abuse and struggling to accept the facts as presented...IT'S ALL THEIR FAULT....THEY ARE THE PROBLEM in their lives and they believe this to be true. The majority of them (@85%) are people of Afreekan Descent and I'm in a position to help them maintain the illusion that it's ALL their fault and while they agree...on the surface...deep down they KNOW it's not ALL their fault.

Having the "Exempt" status seems to be a code word for SLAVE....we work you as long as we want and not compensate you for all that is required to assure all "i's" have dots and all "t's" are crossed and give the State, the insurance companies the documentation they demand to pay the bill so we all keep our "jobs"!

So..my "job" of tomorrow is the same as today...Maintain my Afreekan Mind and Spirit! despite of and in spite of ALL the B.S. going down.

M.E.
    :hearts2:

4. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    u r on some next level ish brother...

one love
    khasm

5. Metaverse

Metaverse Well-Known Member MEMBER

Media Designer
    Ratings:
    +424
    Queen True it sounds like both you and Bro. OM are in very good fields. A recent report says the jobs of tomorrow will most likely be in the fields of mental and physical health since most of the working class will be doing math and science related jobs.