Black Spirituality Religion : The Jesus Papers

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by NNQueen, Apr 3, 2006.

1. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    What if Jesus survived the crucifixion?

'Holy Blood, Holy Grail' author Michael Baigent makes shocking assertions against the conventional account of Jesus's death in his new book

• Jesus wasn't crucified?
    March 28: The "Today" show's Lester Holt talks with Michael Baigent, author of the controversial book, "The Jesus Papers," and NBC's news analyst Father Thomas Williams.

• The mystery of 'The Jesus Papers'
    • New book says Jesus survived crucifixion
    • ‘Da Vinci Code’ takes on ‘Jesus Papers’
    • Books: 'The Da Vinci Code' Lawsuit
    • Bishops post site disputing ‘Da Vinci Code’
    Updated: 4:19 p.m. ET March 27, 2006

"What if everything you think you know about Jesus is wrong? In The Jesus Papers, Michael Baigent reveals "the truth" about Jesus’s life and crucifixion.

Previously, Baigent has captured readers' imaginations with his provocative non-fiction work "Holy Blood, Holy Grail," in which he claimed Jesus was married. Now, while in the middle of a highly-publicized lawsuit with the publishers of "The Da Vinci Code" for copyright infringement, Baigent has an even more controversial premise that challenges much of what we know about Jesus: What if Jesus survived the crucifixion? "

Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12039775/

Queenie :spinstar:

2. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Hey Queenie,

You know there can be all kinds of theories. The Muslims believe that God played a trick and made Judas look like Jesus so the people crucified Judas and Jesus got away. The bible of course gives us two conflicting versions of the demise of Judas which makes it a questionable source.

The truth about Jesus may be written somewhere.. But is there any source that can be varified outside itself? As the saying goes an idea is most dangerous when it's the only one you've got.

3. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    Peace My Queen,

good ?

what if it wasn't Jesus at all?

4. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Well, during my Christian days if I could accept such a theory, it would cause me to question my faith completely. Part of what gives Christianity its power is the belief that a human being was God. Jesus not dying and being married would challenge this premise.

As a non-Christian the not being crucified part is still a little surprising, but I am not affected by the possibility of him being married. Assuming Christian doctrine has some truth about it, (which I believe it does), I believe Jesus was just really evolved spiritually. He was not God, or anything else non-human. I believe all humans have the capacity to get to that state, and in non-Westernized cultures there are already those who possess higher forms of spiritual power that allows them to 'manipulate' things. So to me him doing something that is human is not that shocking, nor does it take away from all that he did during his time on earth.

5. Slowly

Slowly Well-Known Member MEMBER

electronic technician
    Ratings:
    +8
    I believe that what the bible says happened with Jesus did happen. What a lot of people don't take into account is there is Jesus; son of Man.., and there is Jesus; son of God. Jesus, son of God, did return to the Father, after occupying the body of Jesus, son of man. Jesus, son of man could have went to France and took a wife. but it's like So what.
    And as far as the story of Judas goes, who you gonna believe, John, who was there... or Paul who wasn't there? People..., Paul, alone with Moses and a few others in the bible were just examples of what God can do to or with anybody.

6. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Are you saying we should believe John and throw Paul out the window? Let me run that by a pastor and see what he has to say.

If I don't believe Paul why should I believe John since I was told that the whole bible from Genesis to Revelation is God's inerrant Word?

It's not possible to believe everything the bible says about Jesus since the gospels do not agree on a number of points. For example in the garden of Gethsemane one gospel has Judas planting a kiss on Jesus, another has Jesus come up to Judas with no contextual room for a kiss. Still another has Jesus turning a cartwheel to get the soldiers to believe that he is the man they are seeking.

This enormous dichotomy between what I know and what I am taught I must believe is what drove me away from the church.

7. Slowly

Slowly Well-Known Member MEMBER

electronic technician
    Ratings:
    +8
    I say believe John first cause he was there and Paul wasn't.

The writers of the gospels thought Jesus was coming back soon. About 40 years later they realized He wasn't coming as soon as they thought, so they wrote down what they remembered. Now, my memory gets foggy after just two weeks on some things. 40 years?

8. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace,

interesting perspective.......but how do you know they wrote down what they "remembered"??

and if they could write down what they "remebered"..how come they did not describe his features except for "Revelations" which touches slightly....

why is there no picture of this man Jesus?

by the way NEITHER MARK NOR LUKE MET, or KNEW JESUS EITHER......

9. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    Good question!
    There are fictitious pictures,just like that of the virgin mary and baby
    also known as the black madonna,am i write or wrong?

10. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    sounds like the title of a movie,let me ask you all something..what difference will it make in today's society or your lives if he survived or not?that was over[2000]yrs ago,we would be better advised to worry if we're gonna[SURVIVE]these crazy times we live in today.