Black Spirituality Religion : The Instruction of Ptah-Hotep

Yes, scholars do agree that the Book of Proverbs has large similarities to the "Instructions of Amenemopet."

However, these "instructions" [sebayt (wisdom/didactic teachings)] come from the 18th/19th/or 20th dynasties.

The "Instructions of Ptah Hotep" come from a 12th dynasty copy (the Prisse Payrus) which attributes Ptah Hotep's maxims to the 5th dynasty.

I am very familiar with all of these texts, their purpose and intent.

I posted this specific link because it has a section entitled 'Biblical parallels' since you listed five books of the Bible which you seem to be attempting to make a correlation with.

There is a central theme in all of the Kemetic texts. They are all instructions from Father to Son, from King to Heir.

Yes, scholars do agree that the Book of Proverbs has large similarities to the "Instructions of Amenemopet."

However, these "instructions" [sebayt (wisdom/didactic teachings)] come from the 18th/19th/or 20th dynasties.

The "Instructions of Ptah Hotep" come from a 12th dynasty copy (the Prisse Payrus) which attributes Ptah Hotep's maxims to the 5th dynasty.

In fact, I posted a link concerning one of the 'Instructions' that you posted earlier in this thread.

Secondly, I made no comments or reference to the Bible or the Book of Proverbs.

In fact, I posted a link concerning one of the 'Instructions' that you posted earlier in this thread.

Secondly, I made no comments or reference to the Bible or the Book of Proverbs.

I saw the wikipedia link you posted.

Perhaps your intent was to "point" me towards the "Instructions of Amenemope" and "Biblical parallels" as stated on wikipedia.

But, in fact, I was already familiar with/aware of this.

No, you did not reference the Bible, I did.

I saw the wikipedia link you posted.

Perhaps your intent was to "point" me towards the "Instructions of Amenemope" and "Biblical parallels" as stated on wikipedia.

But, in fact, I was already familiar with/aware of this.

No, you did not reference the Bible, I did.

What is the purpose of introducing the Bible into this thread?

The Instructions of Ptah Hotep and related texts serve a very different purpose than the Books of the Bible, many of which are more historical in nature.

The 'Instructions' are not 'Books' or texts which chronicle historical events.

Ma'at was a moral code. The instructions are 'wisdom' handed down from Father to Son, to ensure the Son became a right and just ruler upon his ascendency to office. Its intent was if the Son obtained office of Vizier that they would rule in accordance with Ma'at.

What is the purpose of introducing the Bible into this thread?

The Instructions of Ptah Hotep and related texts serve a very different purpose than the Books of the Bible, many of which are more historical in nature.

The 'Instructions' are not 'Books' or texts which chronicle historical events.

Ma'at was a moral code. The instructions are 'wisdom' handed down from Father to Son, to ensure the Son became a right and just ruler upon his ascendency to office. It intent was if the Son obtained office of Vizier that they would be rule in accordance with Ma'at.

"Historical" in part and literary genre and device at large. The abundance of similar and related "texts" attest to the latter as well.

Particularly the "maxims" follow the same/similar "formula/format" of "The ______ of X for the instruction of ______."

There are 3 types which fall into categories of: Maxims/proper conduct of kingship and admonitions.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back