Black Positive People : The Inspirations Behind "I Have a Dream"

Clyde C Coger Jr

PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
In the Spirit of Sankofa,

... The speech is available in the link at the bottom ...

The Inspirations Behind "I Have a Dream"

9a079898-ac0d-4656-b5a6-09f8007b68a7_MLK-lead.jpg

Aerial view of the 1963 March on Washington, looking north from the Washington Monument. (Martin S. Trikosko/Library …

On Aug. 28, 1963, a quarter of a million people peaceably gathered at the Lincoln Memorial for the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom. Attendant celebrities lent their Hollywood credentials. The media coverage was international. More than 22,000 police officers, guards, soldiers, and paratroopers were placed on alert.
Yet all this has been submerged into the backdrop to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s words in "I Have a Dream." The speech was an afterthought, one that King crafted in the final hours before the momentous convocation, working its rhythms like a poem. It is one of the finest speeches delivered on American soil — the distillation of Old Testament wisdom, Shakespearean drama, the Founding Fathers' vision, and King's own sermons and his emergent understanding of what it meant to be free, equal, and American.
With the help of Stanford University's King Papers Project, the Civil Rights Project at UCLA, and "Voice of Deliverance" author Keith Miller, the following is an examination of key passages in "I Have a Dream" and a look at the historic origins that shaped them.

suggested reading and Listening(the speech):
http://news.yahoo.com/the-inspirations-behind--i-have-a-dream--223903740.html

In the Spirit of Sankofa,

Where King once stood, will Obama close arc of the 'Dream' speech?

Obama's very presidency and his speech Wednesday mark a poignant moment in the history of race relations. But it's also clear that King's agenda is unfinished, as a large black underclass struggles with dim economic prospects and as hopes for racial reconciliation sour.

images
Fifty years after the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. delivered his iconic “I Have a Dream” speech, Americans will on Wednesday listen to their first black president put the civil rights era in perspective, while likely addressing a vexing contemporary question: What’s left to do in the epic struggle for racial equality in the United States?
The mere fact of a black president commemorating 50 years of civil rights progress is monumental in and of itself, and a poignant acknowledgement, to paraphrase the Rev. Mr. King, that the black man has come in out of "exile" in America.

suggested reading:
http://news.yahoo.com/where-king-once-stood-obama-close-arc-dream-162958264.html

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back