Black Positive People : The Inspirations Behind "I Have a Dream"

Discussion in 'Black People Doing Positive Things' started by Clyde C Coger Jr, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078
    In the Spirit of Sankofa,

... The speech is available in the link at the bottom ...

The Inspirations Behind "I Have a Dream"

[​IMG]

Aerial view of the 1963 March on Washington, looking north from the Washington Monument. (Martin S. Trikosko/Library …

On Aug. 28, 1963, a quarter of a million people peaceably gathered at the Lincoln Memorial for the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom. Attendant celebrities lent their Hollywood credentials. The media coverage was international. More than 22,000 police officers, guards, soldiers, and paratroopers were placed on alert.
    Yet all this has been submerged into the backdrop to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s words in "I Have a Dream." The speech was an afterthought, one that King crafted in the final hours before the momentous convocation, working its rhythms like a poem. It is one of the finest speeches delivered on American soil — the distillation of Old Testament wisdom, Shakespearean drama, the Founding Fathers' vision, and King's own sermons and his emergent understanding of what it meant to be free, equal, and American.
    With the help of Stanford University's King Papers Project, the Civil Rights Project at UCLA, and "Voice of Deliverance" author Keith Miller, the following is an examination of key passages in "I Have a Dream" and a look at the historic origins that shaped them.

suggested reading and Listening(the speech):
    http://news.yahoo.com/the-inspirations-behind--i-have-a-dream--223903740.html

2. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078

Where King once stood, will Obama close arc of the 'Dream' speech?

Obama's very presidency and his speech Wednesday mark a poignant moment in the history of race relations. But it's also clear that King's agenda is unfinished, as a large black underclass struggles with dim economic prospects and as hopes for racial reconciliation sour.

[​IMG]
    Fifty years after the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. delivered his iconic “I Have a Dream” speech, Americans will on Wednesday listen to their first black president put the civil rights era in perspective, while likely addressing a vexing contemporary question: What’s left to do in the epic struggle for racial equality in the United States?
    The mere fact of a black president commemorating 50 years of civil rights progress is monumental in and of itself, and a poignant acknowledgement, to paraphrase the Rev. Mr. King, that the black man has come in out of "exile" in America.

suggested reading:
    http://news.yahoo.com/where-king-once-stood-obama-close-arc-dream-162958264.html

3. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078
  4. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078
  5. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    In '63 there may have been a 'dream', but today's speech and speaker made mochery of that and in his eyes I saw visions of king's nightmares...

6. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078
    Martin Luther King Jr. talking to Harry Belafonte: “I said, ‘What’s the matter, Martin? You seem very agitated.’ He said, ‘Well, I am, because I’ve come upon a thought that I don’t know how to deal with at this moment.’ I said, ‘Well, what is it?’ He said, ‘We’ve fought long for integration. It looks like we’re gonna get it. I think we’ll get the laws,” he says. “But I’m afraid that I’ve come upon something that I don’t know quite what to do with. I’m afraid that we’re integrating into a burning house.’”
    http://www.walkingbutterfly.com/2012/01/16/mlk-jr-were-integrating-into-a-burning-house/

:popcorn:

7. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    Lol. - I don't know how many times I have quoted what u just quoted in the past and you've tried to refute it!

I think someone wants to finally open up about this resident and the 50 yesr old dream that he has ecploited for the last 8 1/2 years...

8. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078
    Please show me where I've tried to refute it.

How can one refute something said by another. Even Farrakhan repeated this on Tavis Smiley's old show, awhile back.

You may have misunderstood.

9. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078

A better and slower version than the one below:

10. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078

MLK's Dream Inspires a New March, and a President

Standing on hallowed ground of the civil rights movement, President Barack Obama challenged new generations Wednesday to seize the cause of racial equality and honor the "glorious patriots" who marched a half century ago to the very steps from which Rev. Martin Luther King spoke during the March on Washington.
    In a moment rich with history and symbolism, tens of thousands of Americans of all backgrounds and colors thronged to the National Mall to join the nation's first black president and civil rights pioneers in marking the 50th anniversary of King's "I Have a Dream" speech. Obama urged each of them to become a modern-day marcher for economic justice and racial harmony.
    "The arc of the moral universe may bend toward justice but it doesn't bend on its own," Obama said, in an allusion to King's own message.

suggested reading:
    http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/obama-embodies-kings-dream-struggle-20089903