Black People : The Indian Slave Owner

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Blaklioness, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812
  2. Indian

Indian Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +95
    shameful

btw i am not native indian, i am from india(the country). Indians from India were also made slaves by the british, they were transported to many places like to south africa and also Trinidad

3. Blaklioness

Ratings:
    +1,812
    Are you one of the Dalits?

4. ManicRaider

ManicRaider Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +166
    You know, I always wondered what the Indians were doing around the time of slavery. I can't believe I haven't heard about this until now.

5. Blaklioness

Ratings:
    +1,812
    Generally, the Native Americans have been perceived as our friends. This angle of that "friendship" is rarely discussed, and I'm certain it is because people simply don't know much about it. My research into it is just beginning because it's important to know the truth about what actually happened and on what scale. Certainly, it will be a shock to folks who believe we were only on white plantations. What I do know is that Black people have had just about as much fixation on having Indian blood as on white; it would be interesting to explore a possible connection, and most definitely, it sheds new light on the Trail of Tears.

6. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    We need to keep in mind that some NA tribes that were rumored to have harbored slaves, actually lived in peace with Black slaves. The illusion of a slave/master relationship is what kept many white slave owners at bay.

7. Indian

Ratings:
    +95
    I dont know if i am Dalit since i grew up in america, but i am dravdian of southern India, who are original darker people of india

8. Blaklioness

Ratings:
    +1,812
    Interesting...It's probably not likely they owned at the level of whites, but if the mulattoes/free blacks owned slaves, then Indian slave owners may not be such a stretch; the term "Five Civilized Tribes" was supposedly granted to them because they were known to have adapted the ways of the whites. Do you feel they would take such a facade to the level of staging a fake rebellion? I remember Jewel Pookrum making a remark in one of her speeches (have to locate it) about the Indians, and, at the time, I found it an odd comment. I can't speak to what she meant, but, at any rate, a red flag went up that has remained in the back of my mind, so I'll keep digging to find out.

9. Blaklioness

Ratings:
    +1,812
    What is the difference between the two terms?...maybe I'm mixing them up. How are a Dalit and a Dravidian person distinguished?

10. Indian

Ratings:
    +95
    well they are basically the same thing, but Dalit is more of a religious term and Dravdian is more of a racial term, almost all Dalits are dravidians, so yeah basically means the same thing.