Black People : The Impossible Victory: Vietnam excerpted from a People's History of the United State

solomon7

Banned
Mar 8, 2006
The Impossible Victory: Vietnam
excerpted from a
People's History of the United States
by Howard Zinn

On March 16, 1968, a company of American soldiers went into the hamlet of My Lai 4, in Quang Ngai province. They rounded up the inhabitants, including old people and women with infants in their arms. These people were ordered into a ditch, where they were methodically shot to death by American soldiers. The testimony of James Dursi, a rifleman, at the later trial of Lieutenant William Calley, was reported in the New York Times:
Lieutenant Calley and a weeping rifleman named Paul D. Meadlo the same soldier who had fed candy to the children before shooting them-pushed the prisoners into the ditch...
"There was an order to shoot by Lieutenant Calley, I can't remember the exact words-it was something like 'Start firing.' "Meadlo turned to me and said: 'Shoot, why don't you shoot?'
"He was crying. "I said, 'I can't. I won't.'
"Then Lieutenant Calley and Meadlo pointed their rifles into the ditch and fired.
"People were diving on top of each other; mothers were trying to protect their children...."
Journalist Seymour Hersh, in his book My Lai 4, writes:
"When Army investigators reached the barren area in November, 1969, in connection with the My Lai probe in the United States, they found mass graves at three sites, as well as a ditch full of bodies. It was estimated that between 450 and 500 people-most of them women, children and old men- had been slain and buried there."
The army tried to cover up what happened. But a letter began circulating from a GI named Ron Ridenhour, who had heard about the massacre. There were photos taken of the killing by an army photographer, Ronald Haeberle. Seymour Hersh, then working for an antiwar news agency in Southeast Asia called Dispatch News Service, wrote about it. The story of the massacre had appeared in May 1968 in two French publications, one called Sud Vietnam en Lutte, and another published by the North Vietnamese delegation to the peace talks in Paris-but the American press did not pay any attention.
Several of the officers in the My Lai massacre were put on trial, but only Lieutenant William Calley was found guilty. He was sentenced to life imprisonment, but his sentence was reduced twice; he served three years-Nixon ordered that he be under house arrest rather than a regular prison-and then was paroled. Thousands of Americans came to his defense. Part of it was in patriotic justification of his action as necessary against the "Communists." Part of it seems to have been a feeling that he was unjustly singled out in a war with many similar atrocities. Colonel Oran Henderson, who had been charged with covering up the My Lai killings, told reporters in early 1971: "Every unit of brigade size has its My Lai hidden someplace."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : Impossible Foods CEO slams 'the most destructive technology on Earth by far' Black Health and Wellness 0
imhotep06 Black Atheists : It's impossible to be an Atheist from an (general) African perspective Atheist Study Group 10
Clyde C Coger Jr Food Discussion : FDA Says Processing Plant Linked to Massive Listeria Outbreak Is Impossible to Clean Food Discussion and Recipes 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Alabama Is Making It Impossible for Blacks to Get Voter IDs Black People Politics 10
chuck Black People : Why Is It Difficult (If impossible) For Our Generations To Unite? Black People Open Forum 6
RAPTOR Law Forum : Lawrence O’Donnell Rips St. Louis Prosecutor For Making It Impossible For Darren Wilson To Fail Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 4
CosmicMessenger Black Poetry : The Impossible Is Impossible Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
RAPTOR Black Atheists : "Why the Christian God is Impossible" Atheist Study Group 7
Dre Money Black Haiku : The Impossible (Haiku) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
RAPTOR Black Spirituality Religion : Why the Christian God is Impossible Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 53
dattaswami1 Black Spirituality Religion : If some thing is impossible to you, - don’t apply it to omnipotent God Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
dattaswami1 Black Spirituality Religion : The absolute knowledge of the absolute God is impossible Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
blakverb Black Poetry : Love's Impossible mission Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
N Black Poetry : The impossible Dream Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : Trump-Supporting Televangelist Kenneth Copeland Has The Weirdest Meltdown Over Biden Victory Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
C Black People : Exchanging Defeat For Victory Black People Open Forum 0
C Black People : There Is No Victory For Black Afrikan People Black People Open Forum 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : DEFINITION OF GOSPEL (Euaggelion): A Birth or military victory By Andre Austin I first learned of AACOOLDRE 1
Liberty Law Forum : Trump's Victory Has Fearful Minorities Buying Up Guns Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 5
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Bernie Sanders and Others Respond to Donald Trump Victory Black People Politics 13
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : If Edward Snowden Is Right About Clinton's Emails, Bernie Sanders Will Win a Landslide Victory Black People Politics 5
RAPTOR Black People Politics : So the 1% of 1% Who Own US Politics Include Some Black Faces. Is This A Victory For Us All? Black People Politics 9
Alarm Clock Zimbabwe : USA blocks poll survey of Zimbabwe / Mugabe's overwhelming victory Zimbabwe 1
ru2religious Black People : Zimmerman is headed for a sure victory Black People Open Forum 153
Alarm Clock Black People : In Historic Victory for Community Radio, FCC Puts 1,000 Low-Power FM Frequencies Up For Grabs, Black People Open Forum 7
Alarm Clock Black People : Bipartisan Victory as Republicans and Democrats Agree Poor People Should Go Hungry Black People Open Forum 0
AACOOLDRE Black Poetry : OBAMA'S VICTORY Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
MsInterpret Black Poetry : Victory Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
D Black Entertainment : Victory Black Entertainment 17
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : SONNET OF VICTORY Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
U Africa : A victory for Africa! All Things Africa 0
Destee Black People : Reparations - Partial Legal Victory Black People Open Forum 18
MzBlkAngel Black People : Ohio Certifies Election Victory for Bush Black People Open Forum 0
T Black Poetry : victory Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
M Chief Elder Osiris : "HOW WILL WE DISTRIBUTE and or HANDLE the FRUITS of OUR REPARATIONS VICTORY" Chief Elder Osiris 2
M Black People : "HOW WILL WE DISTRIBUTE and or HANDLE the FRUITS of OUR REPARATIONS VICTORY" Black People Open Forum 0
rasheed Black Poetry : endurance to victory Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
rasheed Black Poetry : Victory (a sonnet) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9
M Pan Africanism : Victory for Amina Lawal... African American History Culture 7
S Black Poetry : Victory is not mine Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : VICTORY BE MINDS SAITH DA LORD Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 20
skuderjaymes Black People : Beyond Vietnam - Dr. King's Last Year Black People Open Forum 4
HODEE Black People : Untold US History From the Atomic Age to Vietnam to Obama's Drone Wars Black People Open Forum 1
Destee Science and Technology : Vietnam Says Bitcoin Transactions are Illegal Science and Technology 6
Destee Black People : Vietnam War Soldiers - Disproportionately Black Black People Open Forum 6
N Black People : New Film Beyond Vietnam - Dr. King's Last Year Black People Open Forum 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : How Bush got out of vietnam AACOOLDRE 0
A Black People : DR. MARTIN LUTHER KING'S SPEECH ON VIETNAM... Black People Open Forum 15