Black People : The importance of having a strong sense of ethnic identity

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by youngblackceo, Oct 11, 2005.

1. youngblackceo

youngblackceo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    In his book Tribes the author Joel Kotkins contends that there are 3 things that groups that rule the world have.

1. One is a strong sense of ethnic identity that produces the possibilty for trust. Which then produces the possibility for collaberation.
    2. They have a global sense of themselves.
    3. They have a passionate commitment to technology. These things with their cultural bond. Allow these groups to function even when they are across national boundaries. This makes them a global people not a local people.

Very insightful info black people a strong sense of enthic identity is key to a groups success in this world not multi-culturism. The people who dominate us continue to mis-educate us and falsify our consciousness so they can continue to use and manipulate our resources for their own interest.

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    I couldn't agree more here , these three keys converse you Global
    Thankz for sharing this enlightful message to the mind.

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Excellent post youngblackceo...well said!

4. fanyamambo

fanyamambo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Youngblackceo, what kind of ethnic identity are we talking about here? And in which context? I don't want to state the obvious but as far as I know, black people do not share a single ethnic identity. Inter-ethnic violence and polarization is very rife in Africa. How do we avoid crossing the very thin line between a strong sense of ethnic identity and ethnic chauvinism and discrimination?

5. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    You are correct Fanyamambo, and it was irresponsible of me not to mention it before. Black people do not share the same single 'ethnic' identity. Indeed ethnic differences have led to tribalism within Africa, which has been the cause of many wars/conflicts (some would say tribalism created the conditions which made slavery and colonialism possible). Thus it is necessary to clarify what type of ethnic identity is being talked about. If we are talking about racial identity, then I agree with youngblackceo´s post. If we are talking about who is Zulu or who is Ashanti, then such identification could be damaging.

6. fanyamambo

Ratings:
    +1
    Exactly Panaf, this issue has to be addressed with an amount of caution.

7. Riada

Riada Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18
    I am very familiar with this sense of ethnic identity among Nigerians who have a very STRONG sense of ethnic or tribal identity. Their identity is their tribe or ethnic group to the core of their being. Even the ones of them who realize that this is divisive and damaging to their country still don’t seem to be able to avoid clinging to the notion of tribal superiority and tribal unity, whether their tribe is right or wrong. This means that most of them tend to blame most of what’s wrong in their country on the other major tribes and have a blind spot when it comes taking responsibility for their own tribe’s wrongdoing. In unguarded moments, some of those who preach the loudest about how the leaders use tribal loyalty to manipulate the masses still hold tight to their tribe being the best, the smartest, the most progressive, etc.

Since I am an outsider and since they know I don’t tattle, some of them take me into their confidence and talk to me about the flaws in the other tribes. When I diplomatically point out that they may be bias, they say that I don’t understand. LOL Anyway, I’ve noticed that they never, ever talk to each other honestly about this issue when they are all together, because they say this can start WWIII!!! But if people who are all in the same boat can’t share how they honestly feel without fighting, the boat is going to sink.

So, I’m thinking out loud here with this rhetorical question: If clinging to ethnic identity blindly can be and is often destructive, is it possible that blindly embracing racial identity may be the same? We know that whites have virtually destroyed the world by clinging to their white identity and the notion of supremacy, so I’m just seeing parallels here.

8. fanyamambo

Ratings:
    +1
    Very good question Riada. I've been wondering the same thing. I will wait to hear what others think.

9. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    'TRIBE", it has already been pointed out by sister KWANGO, is not a very good word to use... ETHNIC GROUP or NATION would be more appropriate terms(smile!)

I warn you ALL, don't run afoul of our sister, because mama don't take noooooo MESS!(smile!) Welcome back, sister KWANGO - and remember I am on your side!!!!!!!(smile!)

Peace!
    Isaiah

10. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Now, having said THAT, TRIBALISM impacts all people of AFRICAN DESCENT, and is our greatest enemy, because it artificially divides us from one another, and allows what we THINK is our greatest enemy - white supremacy - to remain alive and thrive at our expense...

We can never build anything because TRIBALISM filters down even into PERSONAL relationships on a subliminal level... We are always at competition with one another, rather than competing as a billion people against our competition - other ethnic groups... TRIBALISM is so rife among us, that anything which might HIGHLIGHT a difference among us, is easily used to trigger latent hostility and animosity... Whether your group is of darker or lighter skin, or is richer and better educated, or represents a different religious doctrine, or hails from another region or country, African descended people have been taught to REACT NEGATIVELY to these MEANINGLESS differences... And we were NOT taught to do that by no WILLIE LYNCH, either!!!!!!!!

WE were taught that LOOOOOOOOONG time before our ancestors hit these shores, and that's why WE are on these shores today! TRIBALISM! TRIBALISM is why ARABS are in EGYPT/KEMET, ALGERIA, MOROCCO, LIBYA, and the SUDAN, because a divided, and tribal people cannot fight UNIFIED FORCES!!!! We weakened ourselves with all of this ignorant tribal B.S., and the WILLE LYNCH's of the world simply exploited an existing situation...

ONE DAY, brothers and sisters, we will stop blaming other folks, and take a good look in our mirror at ourselves... Kwame Nkrumah and Sekou Toure tried and failed because WE couldn't see past our tribalism, which the CIA expoited... So KOTKIN has a point, a powerful sense of ethnic unity can lead to working together if you are one ethnic group... If you are many ethnic groups, it can be a nightmare...

Peace!
    Isaiah