Black Christians : The Importance of Faith

Discussion in 'Christian Study Group' started by dunwiddat, Oct 13, 2012.

1. dunwiddat

dunwiddat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    Hebrews 11: 1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Hebrews 11:6 Without faith it is impossible to please God.

Faith and hope go together and the same things that are the object of our hope are the object of our faith. It is a firm persuasion and expectation that God will perform all that He has promised to us in Christ.

http://www.lcfellowship.com/resources/faith.pdf

Having Faith As a True Christian Believer in God

As Christians our faith will be tested. The men and women of the bible had theirs tested. Abraham was a classic example. His faith was tested severely.
    Genesis 22: 1- 2 And it came to pass after these things that God did test Abraham and said unto him, Abraham, and he said, Behold Here I am.

And he said , Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon the mountain which I will tell the of.

Abraham had waited so many years for this son and now he was asked to part with him. I have asked my self on many occasions, what am I willing to give up, if God ask me to.

Sad to say there are many preachers who preach contrary to this, stating that as Christians life will be good ONCE we obey God.. This is a kind of entitlement theory where people are taught that as long as they do what God says and they remain Christians everything will go well. This is nothing but deceit.

2. NyneElementz

NyneElementz Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +356
    I've seen several preacher mis-teach this concept also. But please keep in mind that faith isn't just related to sacrifice. Faith also relates to personal acievements as well. Think of all of our inventors. They had faith that the visions God gave them would work for our good. Most of them have. Faith not only keeps us connected to God, they help us help others in many ways.

3. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Hmmm. I've never heard a preacher speak this.

The Bible does not teach such. The Book of Job is just one example. ---I remember one sermon from a preacher who entitled it, "When Bad Things Happen To Good People." ---- No, we are not immune to nor excluded from trials and tribulations.

No, there is not "entitlement" to Believers but there are PROMISES.

And, yes, the Promises of God are CONDITIONAL.....If we do "this," He will do "that."

As for FAITH, one of the ministers at my church explained it thus:

Every nation/government/kingdom has a "currency." That "currency" is how we obtain what we want.

And, as Believers, we are "citizens of the Kingdom of God."

And, the "currency" of the "Kingdom of God" is FAITH.

Heb. 11:
    [6] But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

4. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Matt. 21:
    [21] Jesus answered and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, If ye have faith, and doubt not, ye shall not only do this which is done to the fig tree, but also if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; it shall be done.

Mark 2:
    [5] When Jesus saw their faith, he said unto the sick of the palsy, Son, thy sins be forgiven thee.

Mark 5:
    [34] And he said unto her, Daughter, thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace, and be whole of thy plague.

Mark 10:
    [52] And Jesus said unto him, Go thy way; thy faith hath made thee whole. And immediately he received his sight, and followed Jesus in the way.

Luke 7:
    [50] And he said to the woman, Thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace.

Luke 8:
    [48] And he said unto her, Daughter, be of good comfort: thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace.

Luke 17:
    [6] And the Lord said, If ye had faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye might say unto this sycamine tree, Be thou plucked up by the root, and be thou planted in the sea; and it should obey you.

Luke 18:
    [42] And Jesus said unto him, Receive thy sight: thy faith hath saved thee.

5. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    I think the hardest thing to give up is something that you have been accustomed to doing for so long. I think the hardest thing for someone to give up is their life. Meaning someone who is new to being a Christian...Giving up their worldly ways and having a new found faith that God will be there for you when you need him is hard....Even when you are a Christian who is struggling with your faith... But once you develop that relationship with God making sacrifices for him is no longer difficult

6. NyneElementz

United States
    Ratings:
    +356
    It is difficult adopting an entirely new lifestyle. Prayer was easy for me because I had been for a long time thanks to my grandmother teaching me, but prayer while fasting is a challenge. Turning down the plate is the easy part. The hard part is ignoring your stomach while praying :). But I will keep trying and I believe I will excel once my body is used to it.

But one thing I can tell you about faith, simply believing that a thing inGod can be done works. I read the bible for many years without understanding it. I asked God to help me with that and had faith that he would. God is a master at making revelations a powerful mental movie experience. Ever read the book of Deuteronomy and imagined Moses giving the whole speech to the nation of Israel before they crossed the Jordan in near HD without a DVD? It's a great experience to have.

7. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    I've never not once in my life never didn't believe that God didn't exist. However, I have turned my back on God. Trying to achieve things on my own. At one time I didn't want to pray to God and ask for help. I felt that all the terrible things that were happening in my life were because of God. At least wondering why God would allow these things to happen to me.
    One day, I reached a point in my life where I felt I was at a wall. That my life could no longer go on. That this was it. Getting to the point of wanting your life to end is a scary point. I felt there was no one to turn too but God. Letting go of your ego, and realizing that there are some things in life that you cannot handle on your own is tough business. Then then the next toughest thing to do is admitting you were wrong and repenting of your sins. After that, realizing that you have gone through this for your own good is the next difficult thing. Then putting things in God's control and having faith that he will see you through is next.
    Everyone develops faith in different ways...As you can read in the Bible....Each one unique, but all having the same purpose.
    I was being selfish in thinking I didn't need God and being angry at him. My life was failing because my faith was lacking.
    As a Christian faith is your stairway to God...The light that shines on your narrow path and your Bible is your roadmap.
    I am blessed that God has allowed me to see that he is here for me, and that he is patient...yet when I'm doing wrong he does let me have it, like a good Father would...So it's only right I have faith in someone who has given me this life and this chance....Even though I still struggle in renewing my life, I know God is with me.

8. dunwiddat

dunwiddat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    Faith is critical...noone can have faith for us. The most difficult part is letting go and letting God. I too have had my struggles, but what keeps me going is the fact that God cannot lie and his promises are sure. We all need the prayers of each other and I too will remember you in my prayers and you for me...:heart:

9. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    This TESTIMONY really touched me this morning! It brought tears to my eyes and made me thank God for His goodness!

No, my path and struggle isn't like yours. I've never blamed God; but many parts of this echoed and resonated within me from my life as well. That's why one of my favorite songs is "He Looked Beyond My Fault and Saw My Need."----There's a line in it that says, "I do not know just HOW He came to love ME so; but He looked beyond my fault and saw ALL of my need!"

THANK YOU for sharing this. You have BLESSED my soul today!

10. NyneElementz

United States
    Ratings:
    +356
    Not only that. The truly humbling part is admitting to God that you do not know, at all, how to straighten out your own life. As humbling as it is while you are alive, it's much better than seeing that truth too late. I use to have a lot of opinions about my life before I came face to face with the truth that without God, I couldn't produce anything good in my own life. Since inviting Him in, things have been tough, but I have been getting better in small incremental steps. It's not the pace I would like to go, but I try to keep in mind that God will not place upon me anything that I can handle. Occasionally, like any child, you get the urge to want to do things your way. Then you think about the mess your life was before Him, and suddenly His way seems better.

And when you really get into God, everything He wants you to do, including the way you see your problems, challenges, and your own way...you will struggle trying to make sense of it...until you see the results. Chances are, whether you are a part of the solution God has for you, or you stand still and let Him work it out, your mind will be blown by the things that take place in your life.