The importance of exercise

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by Regina, May 16, 2003.

1. Regina

Regina Well-Known Member MEMBER

Engineer
    Ratings:
    +2
    Good nutrition and regular exams are only part of the equation in ensuring good health. Exercise must be a part of your daily routine. You don't have to be a super athlete, do what you like. It could be walking, running, a sport, a dance class or aerobics.

If you feel you don't have time to exercise because of family obligations, get the family involved. Exercise with your children so that it becomes a part of their everyday life. Instead of watching tv, take a walk with the family. It can be a positive bonding experience. Walk up the stairs instead of taking the elevator. You can find different opportunities to get some exercise into your day if you are creative.

Before you embark on a new exercise program, start slowly and get a physical exam.

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    indeed i agree with u
    this will uplift us all ......Thanks 4 this

3. Eisha

Eisha Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student
    Ratings:
    +6
    I definately agree with you. Its the smallest things like these that can make a large difference. Even like what you said about good nutrition, it doesn't always neccessarily have to be eating alot of veggies and fruit, it can be cutting down a little on your eating. When you do these and the things you listed, you'll be feeling good about yourself and trust me, it does show.

4. MissMel

MissMel New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I began an exercise regime about 5 months ago and I cannot tell you how much of a difference it has made in my life! I am so much stronger, no longer have the headaches I used to have and am losing weight.

I used to be one of those people who made excuses for not exercising---such as I didn't have time or money or whatever. Well now, I make excuses so that I CAN exercise. *LOL* I will go to work late if I have to just to get my workout in. I work out twice a day (30 mins each) and weight training for about an hour every other day for a total of five days a week. I can't say it's something I LOVE doing because it's not, but I do it because I can feel and see how good it is for me.

For anyone who thinks working out isn't for them, give it a try. I guarantee, you'll be surprised!

5. gempis

gempis Well-Known Member MEMBER

strength coach
    Ratings:
    +32
    I am a fitness professional and am very passionate about this topic. I've been so dismayed over the last 15 years to see Americans growing increasingly inactive and more overweight. All the posters so far are correct. I will add one thing:

I always encourage people to think of working out as a compulsory rather than an optional activity. People exercise if they have the time or if they feel like it. Not a good idea, because there's always an excuse. Make it a part of your day like going to work, paying the bills, etc. Don't give yourself a choice.

On the spiritual tip, I believe it's our duty, privilege and responsibility to take care of the bodies we have been given. If you don't have your health, what do you have? A miserable life, if you're not dead.

6. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    very good point gempis....
    i lock this in my mind to work out every day
    given an hour and step out side to run a little
    we just don't know until we lose the ability to do things

7. gempis

gempis Well-Known Member MEMBER

strength coach
    Ratings:
    +32
    that is so cool, $$RICH$$, cuz I want to make sure you're around for a very long time to watch over us. :)

8. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    WHAT ARE SOME OTHER WAYZ AND THINGS WE CAN DO TO STAY ON TRACK FOR GOOD HEALTH ????

9. sweet apple*pie

sweet apple*pie Well-Known Member MEMBER

I am a student, and all though it is hardwork, it
    Ratings:
    +30
    I adore every aspect of excercise and physical recreation, as it is truly apart of who I am.

I am very knowlegeable about the subject, as the way the body works is very fascinating to me. Some of my goals include becoming certified as a personal trainer, completing my first marathon ( this upcoming year ) and to enter a fitness/figure competion in the future.

Right now, I have been on an off season, which I normally do during the months of Oct-Mid December...so I can enjoy good holiday foods! But I am already gearing up for my new fitness regimen of 09!

The gym I go to is a second home to me ( so that will make destee my third home) I do everything there...cycling,boxing,bootcamp, swimming, weight lifting, belly dancing, and pilates, and I love to run ( I dont care for yoga to much) and I know exactly what to eat, so I always accomplish my fitness goals. Usually my weight is between 140-145, which is a nice weight on 5"7...if I drop below 140...I start loosin' the goods! T&A.

Anyhow....E NUFF about me...if anyone wants to gear up for a new work-out plan for 09' let me know. I would love to be of assistance. But only if you can handle tuff love, cas I dont waste time on non-serious folks, or habititual new years resolution offenders. Sorry!

You knew I would like this $$Rich$$!!!

10. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    now will u be my personal trainer to a better fitness......checking my pockets ....I don't have much
    but ! well u know . what cha say ?