Black Money Business Jobs : The Importance of Appearance for Job Searchers

cherryblossom

REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 28, 2009
The thing is the dress attire, tattoos, and so forth are not really variable for job applicants. It's a moot point.

Bro Asomfwaa, I disagree with this statement. I have personally witnessed and experienced how these are variables in job seeking.

Example: I was sitting in a Wendy's restaurant having a late lunch one day when a young Black male came in and asked for an application. The manager, a Black man, came out to the lobby to speak with him. He told the young man to correct his attire and come back. Then, he'd give him an application.

The young man had on baggy jeans, t-shirt, sneakers. *they may have been sagging jeans also but these happened quite awhile ago and I can't remember exactly*

However, the manager informed him how he should be dressed and groomed when looking for a job.

The manager also told me that they won't even give out an application unless the job-seeker is groomed and dressed appropriately.

Example 2: Many years ago, I was shopping at a shoe store and saw a "Help Wanted" sign there. Thinking I could pick up some part-time hours, I asked for an application. The Assistant Store Manager was a Black woman and she informed me that because of the way I was dressed, she could give me an application. She further explained to me that their store policy was to not issue applications to any person's wearing jeans, flip-flops, visible tattoos, etc.. and that too many of our youth do not know how to dress for job-seeking.

So, yes, our youth and young adults do need to know HOW to frame their appearance when seeking a job.

They need to know that they should LOOK LIKE they're LOOKING for a job when they go job hunting no matter what kind of job it is.

Many businesses do have the same policies as my 2 previous examples and won't even give out an application to someone who is not dressed appropriately.

Jeans and t-shirts, sneakers and visible tattoos are NOT a good look when looking for a job.

Also, when RETURNING an application in person, one should also be dressed appropriately. There is always the possibility that the employer may decide to INTERVIEW that person right then.

All these things speak volumes to an employer about a job seeker.

But, when someone looks like they just walked in off the street with no preparation looking for a job, that doesn't speak well to a potential employer.

:11100: it's simple. black people love, love, love to check and correct other black people.

And if WE don't "check and correct" our own, Bro. James, WHO WILL??

If WE don't teach OUR OWN, who will??

I ate at that Wendy's often because it was just around the corner from my house. So, I later asked that Black male store manager about the young man he had corrected; and he told me that he did come back dressed appropriately and he gave him an application and interview.

9780446385527.OL.0.m.jpg
Dress for Success is a 1975 book by John T. Molloy about the effect of clothing on a person's success in business and personal life.
It was a bestseller and was followed in 1977 by The Women's Dress for Success Book.
Together, the books popularized the concept of "power dressing."

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back