Black Money Business Jobs : The Importance of Appearance for Job Searchers

Discussion in 'Black Money Business Jobs' started by cherryblossom, Aug 29, 2013.

1. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Bro Asomfwaa, I disagree with this statement. I have personally witnessed and experienced how these are variables in job seeking.

Example: I was sitting in a Wendy's restaurant having a late lunch one day when a young Black male came in and asked for an application. The manager, a Black man, came out to the lobby to speak with him. He told the young man to correct his attire and come back. Then, he'd give him an application.

The young man had on baggy jeans, t-shirt, sneakers. *they may have been sagging jeans also but these happened quite awhile ago and I can't remember exactly*

However, the manager informed him how he should be dressed and groomed when looking for a job.

The manager also told me that they won't even give out an application unless the job-seeker is groomed and dressed appropriately.

Example 2: Many years ago, I was shopping at a shoe store and saw a "Help Wanted" sign there. Thinking I could pick up some part-time hours, I asked for an application. The Assistant Store Manager was a Black woman and she informed me that because of the way I was dressed, she could give me an application. She further explained to me that their store policy was to not issue applications to any person's wearing jeans, flip-flops, visible tattoos, etc.. and that too many of our youth do not know how to dress for job-seeking.

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    :11100: it's simple. black people love, love, love to check and correct other black people.

3. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    So, yes, our youth and young adults do need to know HOW to frame their appearance when seeking a job.

They need to know that they should LOOK LIKE they're LOOKING for a job when they go job hunting no matter what kind of job it is.

Many businesses do have the same policies as my 2 previous examples and won't even give out an application to someone who is not dressed appropriately.

Jeans and t-shirts, sneakers and visible tattoos are NOT a good look when looking for a job.

Also, when RETURNING an application in person, one should also be dressed appropriately. There is always the possibility that the employer may decide to INTERVIEW that person right then.

All these things speak volumes to an employer about a job seeker.

But, when someone looks like they just walked in off the street with no preparation looking for a job, that doesn't speak well to a potential employer.

4. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560

And if WE don't "check and correct" our own, Bro. James, WHO WILL??

If WE don't teach OUR OWN, who will??

I ate at that Wendy's often because it was just around the corner from my house. So, I later asked that Black male store manager about the young man he had corrected; and he told me that he did come back dressed appropriately and he gave him an application and interview.

5. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
  6. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    I meant for interviews. "Dress appropriately to pick up a paper application" may be a 20th century idea. Especially since young folk are doing online applications these days. I don't see the merit in Wendy's requiring a person to dress in formal attire to pick up a paper application. Sure, 'interview' on the spot and all, but that's an entirely other concern.

I am agreeing with jamesfrmphilly . There is a documentary in London about natural hair and one processed hair sister works in human resources where she admits that she finds natural hair beautiful but wouldn't offer a sister with natural hair employment. We expect that from White people, but it's kind of like Obama syndrome, where Blacks in Power say what Whites are thinking.

7. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    you do know that the founder of wendy's died from a heart attack?

8. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079
    In the Spirit of Balance,

STUDY SEEKS TO EXPLAIN DISPROPORTIONATELY HIGH UNEMPLOYMENT NUMBERS IN BLACK COMMUNITIES

[​IMG]
    U.S. Rep. Frederica Wilson, D-Fla, hosts a town hall meeting in Miami, Monday, Aug. 22, 2011. The Congressional Black Caucus organized the meeting to address black unemployment rates, one of five taking place in August in distressed communities across the country. At issue is the stubbornly high unemployment rate in the black community, now at 16.8 percent nationwide, more than double that for whites. (J Pat Carter/AP Photo)

According to Business Insider, the unemployment rate for black Americans spiked to a shocking 16.7 percent in August, up from 15.9 percent the previous month.
    This makes it the highest it has been in 25 years, up from the previous record of 16.5 percent in March and April 2010.
    The report continues: “the unemployment rate for black males rose a whole percentage point to 18 [percent]. Even more staggeringly, the black youth unemployment rate in August was 46.5 [percent], up from 39.2 [percent] in July.”

Why is that?
    Well, according to a study by the U.C. Berkeley Department of Labor, “the public sector is the most important source of employment for African Americans and a key source of high-paying jobs, especially for black women.”
    The Berkeley report also states that African Americans are 30 percent more likely to hold government jobs than any other group; from 2008-2010, 21.2 percent of black workers were employed in the public sector, compared to just 16.3 percent of non-black workers.
    Therefore, Business Insider believes that the recent decrease in public sector jobs explains why African Americans have been hit so much harder by government budget cuts and layoffs than their non-white counterparts. This might also explain why black unemployment rate was double the 8 percent unemployment rate for whites.

suggested reading:
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2011/09/03/study-seeks-to-explain-disproportionately-high-unemployment-numbers-in-black-communities/

The Sister know she wearing that Cowboy hat, for real ...:wow:

9. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079
    http://destee.com/index.php?threads/mcdonald’s-should-share-billions-in-profits-with-fast-food-workers-labor-organizer.77561/

Overkill for a fast food service job:facepalm:

10. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    :toast:

This is very true. The only place I see that hire people with tats are mom, and pop operations. My job will commit you to memory if you can in looking for a job looking and dressed this way. No tats are allowed on the neck period. Tats on the arms have to be covered, as well as ones on the chest and legs. So unless a person what to be stuck wearing a certain style of clothing (long sleeve vs short sleeves) they should not work at my job if the have tats. I know, I have tats on both of my lower arms and I can't even roll up my sleeves, I don't anyway, but I'm just saying.

Also, I wear earrings, and so does the boss. But there is a line no one can cross like wearing tubes, spikes, etc. Your ear cannot be cluttered with earrings....And saggin...well somethings need not be spoken on....LOL

Peace!