Black Spirituality Religion : The Igbo spiritual system. I want to learn...

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by ra_ptah_amen, Jan 13, 2011.

1. ra_ptah_amen

ra_ptah_amen Active Member MEMBER

Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +13
    does anyone have any good sources, books, organizations that i could learn the Igbo spiritual system from please?

email me at: lightfeet2555 (at) hotmail. com

thanks

2. sacredwoman

sacredwoman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Entrepreneur, Publisher, Writer, Healing Artist
    Ratings:
    +73
    hey, i am igbo and our system is known as omenala or odinani, which translates to the laws of the land or tied to the land so it is a very nature based practice with Ani, the earth goddess, our primary deity. We share quite a number of similarities with the yoruba system, with of course some differences. We also place great emphasis on one's chi or higher self. i will send you an email with more information. As for now i will reccommend Odinani, the Igbo Religion by Emmanuel Anizoba. You can find that on amazon. I am also the organizer of an odinani meetup group in Nyc. will send you info on that as well. :)

3. ra_ptah_amen

Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +13
    thank you sacredwoman

thank you so much. if you could email me ALL this information AND send me the links to your website here in these posts that would be great!!!! thank you.

4. sacredwoman

Ratings:
    +73
    No problem. I just sent you the email and here is the link to my website

http://www.meetup.com/The-New-York-African-Spirituality-Odinani-group/about/

if you have more questions, feel free to ask :)

5. ra_ptah_amen

Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +13
    lol. i found it and joined before...

lol. i found it and joined before u had a chance to email me back. i found it on google. what is your email? is the spiritual system like Voudou, Akan, etc.?

6. sacredwoman

Ratings:
    +73
    LOL. sorry i haven't arranged another meetup since. this weather has made it hard to find an adequate location since our activities are better practiced out doors. Unless you have any ideas?

Don't know much about akan but our system has been compared to voodoo, but the voodoo that is straight from Africa not the one that is practiced in the Americas. So the rituals are there and the focus on the chi and alusi is there, however, we do not worship the alusi/gods. We form relationships with them, a partnership, an agreement in the realization of a goal. The practice is a very result oriented one and focuses on what one is able to achieve in this earthly realm and how one can appease the gods so that we can all enjoy harmony on earth. Ani, the earth goddess is our primary deity. Another important deity is ikenga, who is the god of success and achievement and who is the deity associated with one's talents. Then of course there is idemilli/mami wata and so on. But yea, the typical practitioner has three basics, an altar dedicated to his chi and his ancestors and a person who wants to be taken seriously in life and in his or her community will most likely have an ikenga statue. The igbo people also place great emphasizes on commerce/business, and the days of the week are called market days with a deity presiding over each day, Eke, Orie, Afo, Nkwo. These deities in a sense also represent the four points of the earth and are often called upon in prayers.

Heirarchy
    chukwu (supreme being)
    chineke (father mother creator) in some cultures, eke, the female godhead takes chukwu's position. she is also symbolized by a python.
    Ani (the earth) and her consort, Amadioha, who is god of thunder and lightening
    Alusi/gods
    The ndiiche/ancestors
    individual chi/god or higher self.

I emailed you with my hotmail account, so my email is there...

7. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    Wow. This is beautiful

Modupe.

I joined. Your website

8. ra_ptah_amen

Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +13
    lol. i did'nt see your hotmail email in my account. try nate55(at)bellsouth(dot)net or lightfeet2555(at)hotmail(dot)com again please. maybe i overlooked it. i'll search again. i can't wait to learn. lol

9. ra_ptah_amen

Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +13
    Could you tell me more about Mami Wata please?

Could anyone help me learn about Mami Water? What are her favorite colors, foods, drinks, prayers, etc.? How do i make contact with her? What does she govern over? How do i ask for things/what do i do? Anything would be of help.

thanks

10. sacredwoman

Ratings:
    +73
    Just resent. check all your emails again... :)

Users found this page by searching for:

1. odinani meetup