Destee Network : the Ifa Foundation of North America

AHMOSE

REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 6, 2005
Educating the Diaspora
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
This is the home page of the Ifa Foundation of North America.

The world’s most complete Web Site with more free information on Orisa worship than anywhere else in order to combat the intellectual and emotional slavery that secrecy and lack of knowledge creates.

For more information view the website:http://www.ifafoundation.org/index.asp

Information

Most of the information on Ifa Foundation of North America is incorrect. Besides that Ifa is an Afrikan Ancestral tradition and from that perspective no person of European descent cannot pass this tradition on to Afrikan (Black) people nor anyone else for that matter. They cannot pass on what they can NEVER possess.

Please visit New Afrikan Vodun at:

http://newafrikanvodun.com/index2.html

I can be reached at bokonon@newafrikanvodun.com

Awotunde, you are correct. The Ifa Foundation is a sham. However, I'm not clear on what you mean when you say the religion can only be "passed on" or taught by Africans. After all, Pierre Verger was a white man, and I doubt anyone would deny his being a devoted adept. Maybe you could clear up my confusion.
Back to the Ifa Foundation, who shamelessly advertise on this site. They prey on disillusioned practitioners of our religion. Due to the many corrupt "godparents" both in the U.S. and in Lucumi, etc. there are plenty of people who are without guidance, who stumble upon the Ifa Foundation, which promises "no more fear, no more secrets" and portray themselves as selfless humanitarians, who, like Tarzan, are better Africans than Africans themselves. Left to there own devices (they have no connection to any egbe or elders) they make things up as they go along. Those who are sucked in jump from the frying pan into the fire. The Ifa Foundation is about one thing and one thing only - getting in your wallet. They will give you a 45 minute initiation - no drumming, no chanting - hell, you can even be an Oluwo before you have even memorized the order of the first 16 Odu.
They are pure marketing, and have done well. I wouldn't say they have engaged in cultural appropriation, because they really don't know anything about the culture in question. They live in a big house, in an exclusive (all white) neighborhood, drive fancy cars and take wonderful vacations all over the world. Telling that they never consider a trip to Africa. Anyways, people need to know that what they are doing is NOT Yoruba religion, but some contrived bull****.

Awotunde, you are correct. The Ifa Foundation is a sham. However, I'm not clear on what you mean when you say the religion can only be "passed on" or taught by Africans. After all, Pierre Verger was a white man, and I doubt anyone would deny his being a devoted adept. Maybe you could clear up my confusion.
Back to the Ifa Foundation, who shamelessly advertise on this site. They prey on disillusioned practitioners of our religion. Due to the many corrupt "godparents" both in the U.S. and in Lucumi, etc. there are plenty of people who are without guidance, who stumble upon the Ifa Foundation, which promises "no more fear, no more secrets" and portray themselves as selfless humanitarians, who, like Tarzan, are better Africans than Africans themselves. Left to there own devices (they have no connection to any egbe or elders) they make things up as they go along. Those who are sucked in jump from the frying pan into the fire. The Ifa Foundation is about one thing and one thing only - getting in your wallet. They will give you a 45 minute initiation - no drumming, no chanting - hell, you can even be an Oluwo before you have even memorized the order of the first 16 Odu.
They are pure marketing, and have done well. I wouldn't say they have engaged in cultural appropriation, because they really don't know anything about the culture in question. They live in a big house, in an exclusive (all white) neighborhood, drive fancy cars and take wonderful vacations all over the world. Telling that they never consider a trip to Africa. Anyways, people need to know that what they are doing is NOT Yoruba religion, but some contrived bull****.

Awo Dino ... thank you so much for joining us and sharing!

While I don't know anything about the organization you speak of above, or enough about Ifa to speak about, what you present has become a concern of mine lately.

Not just with Ifa, but with any of the Spiritual / Religious paths that have become (re) known to us of late. It seems we are so eager to learn anything, become involved in anything, that is not Christianity, that we put our whole selves at risk. Willing to take the word of anyone that speaks the jargon, when we have no idea if they have our best interest at heart. It's really frightening to me, as over the years, I've seen Members right here complain of all kinds of negative experiences, after the fact.

I even started this thread, Responsible Entrance into the Occult, in an effort to protect and guide those yearning for information.

Thank You for joining us and sharing.

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

Thanks, Destee for your kind words.
This isn't a new problem, of course. Religions are always a part of the culture that produces them. We are a long ways from Yorubaland. Many have gone to Africa for initiation, which is a wonderful experience, but then what? So it is difficult to be an adept in the Diaspora. Because of the nature of our ritual, money can be made in its commodification. Herein lies the source of so many charlatans.
Another problem lies within ourselves as Americans. You don't have to be initiated to worship. Yet, everyone wants to be initiated as a status symbol of sorts, and there are plenty of people who will gladly take your money. Initiation will not fix your life. It will only provide you the courage to make the changes within yourself that need to be made. Your ancestors are your best defense, and you don't need an initiation, or to spend a lot of money, to put together an ancestral shrine and connect with them.
If you feel drawn to the Orisa, where do you go? Wherever you end up, look at that person and analize their character - the central tenet of our religion is iwa pele - good character. I know that Chief Fama - ileorunmila.com - is of good character. she has written books. Awo Falokun - awostudycenter.com - is of good character. He has also written several books. However, books will only get you so far. You have to find a "house" or "godparents" who can teach you. So, back to square one. Also, there are variations in the Diaspora. Cuban Santeria, rejected by most African-Americans because of its mixing with Catholiscism; Lucumi, also Cuban but without the saints; Brazilian Candomble, which is closer to the traditional (some would say even more traditional) Yoruba; Haitian Vodun (In Cuba there are also "paleros" which is not Yoruba but Congo-Algerian. Same in Haiti); Puerto Rican style, which is more focused on ancestor worship, and of course, There are Iles - "Houses" here in the U.S. founded by African-Americans - Oyotunji village in South Carolina for instance.
If you are drawn to the Orisa, you should first of all get a reading done by a reputable santera, iyanifa or babalawo. You could get in touch with one of the folks mentioned above, and maybe they can hook you up with someone in your area. Or, ask around, investigate, and surely there is someone of good character in your area who can do a reading.
You will find a much more believable, beautiful, and complex theology than the silly, shallow nonsense that Christianity has been reduced to at the hands of the European. If you are drawn to Christianity, then at least go to its root - Ethiopia, and find the truth. Ase.

"Character is Destiny. Destiny is Character"

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back