Black Education / Schools : The Hidden Curriculum...

Discussion in 'Black Education / Schools' started by OnTyme, Jan 29, 2009.

1. OnTyme

OnTyme Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Does anyone here believe that there is a hidden curriculum outside of the class room that certain ethnicity's have more access to then other groups?

Why I am bringing this up is because my boyfriend and I were discussing the future and who and how we would educate our children in the future and he often talks about the hidden curriculum. and why White children score higher in tests like the SATs. He said that though culture may be linked to this, he thinks it has more to do with access to privy information. that white have that blacks do not have.

Has anyone else heard of this?

2. Knowledge Seed

Knowledge Seed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +551
    You better believe it!

3. OnTyme

Ratings:
    +5
    so what is the solution?

4. Knowledge Seed

Knowledge Seed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +551
    Home School

5. Son of RA

Son of RA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Student
    Ratings:
    +92
    We can start by creating our own curriculum but only if we can cancel our nail and hair appointments, put the basketballs, MP3 players, hellphones down and stop chasing the opposite sex.

Then take the babies to a park, beach, etc (be creative) with a couple of books written by some of our Generals/Elders and other books on math, science, history and just stare into their beautiful eyes as we read to each other under a tree and talk about life the good and bad

6. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079
    In the Spirit of Sankofa!

Son of Ra,

All that you have mentioned is excellent, and falls under the concept of "home schooling.'' Our white counterparts are ahead of us in this game, by far. Along with the many grassroot organizations available and assisting, what seems to be daunting is actually quite easy. There is no better way than this approach to involve the entire village or community.

And as you say; "We can start by creating our own curriculum but only if we can cancel our nail and hair appointments, put the basketballs, MP3 players, hellphones down and stop chasing the opposite sex."

Peace my Brother and my Friend!

7. OnTyme

Ratings:
    +5
    lol...well that may be, but as a kid that was home schooled it is not easy either. there should be a way for kids to interact a lot with each other while being home schooled. My cousins, are homeschooling their kids but they are also homeschooling a few of their friends kids to, and they are all putting money together to pay for activities and stuff.

8. OnTyme

Ratings:
    +5
    i agree with all of that. as for the hidden curriculum there are so many programs that other races involve their kids in outside of the classrooms.
    i am not talking soccer though very common, every summer it's science camps, and government class, and private tutors, music, and writing seminars and all kinds of stuff they are doing. these resources are not told to every parent in the classrooms.

9. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079
    In the Spirit of Sankofa!

That is an excellent report OnTyme. What makes it special is the fact that they have open a tiny school, thats progress!

10. OnTyme

Ratings:
    +5
    i wish i could too...but i don't know where i would find the time. i have been thinking that well it is just a dream...

but of having a clinic and well in the back of the clinic set up a day care/school of sorts so that I could always be close to my children. it scares me that career could swallow up my time with my babies. i want my mom to come and dad to come live with me and help me.