Black Spirituality Religion : THE HEBRAIC BIBLICAL MYTHS AND THE YORUBA HISTORICAL NARRATIVES

One of the books I have been reading lately is entitled "Jewish Pirates of the Caribbean" by Edward Kritzler. He explains how long before Spain was Spain, Jews were living there as it was one of King Solomon's trading posts, circa 1000 B.C. The settlement became Sephard and was a strategic outpost of the roman empire. Over time these and related people, namely so-called Moors, developed a cultural continuum that extended from Jerusalem to Guinea coast, to Libya to Cairo and Medina. This also extened to Darfur.

As early as the 15th century groups migrated into the Niger River basin and in the 1500s he states "The North African shore known as the Barbary Coast, was likewise familiar to Iberian jews, whose forebears had settled there in the first century after Rome's legions conquered Jerusalem and dispersed upward fifty thousand Jews to Spain and ports around the Mediterranean. The displaced citizens of Judea took to the sea, becoming the region's major shipowners, merchants and traders. Fifteen hundred years later, when the Sephardic exiles arrived in North Africa, they were consigned special quarters by their Muslim hosts. Together, the two exiled groups forged a formidable force."

In the next chapter he explains the background of Samuel Palache and states," Jews lived in Morocco centuries before the Arabs captured the native Berber tribes in the 17th century and introduced Islam."

The interesting thing here is the role Palache played in a treaty signed between Morocco and Holland in 1611. As a result, in the summer 1611, a Dutch flotilla, flying the flag of Morocco and led by a Moroccan Jew, sailed for the Mediterranean to assail Spanish ships.

It was this naval power that also secured the west African coast, and as a result this power extended north to Amsterdam and held the Spaniards in check. It must be noted that at this time the Dutch also dominated the slave trade and their builders owned most of Europe's trading ships.

Another Dutch Jew, Diego Diaz Querido, employed several African slaves who were natives of the coast and gave then instruction in Portuguese and Dutch so they could serve as interpreters in Africa to assist him in his Africa dealings, and this instruction included giving instruction in the Mosaic Law and conversion to Judaism.

That's very interesting. The Sephardic family, which I have been researching, apparently navigated deep into the interior of Africa after the Jews were exiled from Iberia. This family went to North Africa, but they navigated a great deal. In addition, from records that I pulled they seemed to be welcomed by certain Muslims in Morocco. I need to read that book. Good post bro Omowale!

That's very interesting. The Sephardic family, which I have been researching, apparently navigated deep into the interior of Africa after the Jews were exiled from Iberia. This family went to North Africa, but they navigated a great deal. In addition, from records that I pulled they seemed to be welcomed by certain Muslims in Morocco. I need to read that book. Good post bro Omowale!

I started looking closer into this area a few months ago during the debate concerning the East African Slave trade and the Silk road/Opium wars. I knew the Dutch were involved in trade of gunpowder and actually preceeded Portuguese in places such as Kilwa.

http://www.colonialvoyage.com/kilwa.html

I have been looking for years for a direct connection during this era between the Ethiopians, West Africans and Iberian Moors.

The so-called "Portuguese Dutch" are/were actually Iberian jews who controlled the sea trades from Holland, around the Cape to east India. These folks were black/white/Asiatic (indian/Turk), etc.

I stated long ago these were the same as the Marranos who were dispersed then settled largely in Brazil and Surinam, but I was not aware of the extent of their dominion in Jamaica, Sao Tome and Amsterdam.

I am certain not only of their ties to the Gulf of Guinea but also since they were involved in trade along east Africa (Kilwa esp) and Southern Africa, most likely this helps to explain also a connection between the Lemba and their brethren in Guinea, etc.

http://historytodaybooks.blogspot.com/2009/09/our-first-reader-review-jewish-pirates.html

I started looking closer into this area a few months ago during the debate concerning the East African Slave trade and the Silk road/Opium wars. I knew the Dutch were involved in trade of gunpowder and actually preceeded Portuguese in places such as Kilwa.

http://www.colonialvoyage.com/kilwa.html

I have been looking for years for a direct connection during this era between the Ethiopians, West Africans and Iberian Moors.

The so-called "Portuguese Dutch" are/were actually Iberian jews who controlled the sea trades from Holland, around the Cape to east India. These folks were black/white/Asiatic (indian/Turk), etc.

I stated long ago these were the same as the Marranos who were dispersed then settled largely in Brazil and Surinam, but I was not aware of the extent of their dominion in Jamaica, Sao Tome and Amsterdam.

Also Cape Verde

I am certain not only of their ties to the Gulf of Guinea but also since they were involved in trade along east Africa (Kilwa esp) and Southern Africa, most likely this helps to explain also a connection between the Lemba and their brethren in Guinea, etc.

http://historytodaybooks.blogspot.com/2009/09/our-first-reader-review-jewish-pirates.html

Gonna build some more when I get home. I have a book with an extensive list of surnames for tracing Jewish genealogy.

Do you think the Portuguese Dutch who you mentioned were those Iberian Jews who fled to Holland during the exiles of 1492 and 1496?

Gonna build some more when I get home. I have a book with an extensive list of surnames for tracing Jewish genealogy.

Do you think the Portuguese Dutch who you mentioned were those Iberian Jews who fled to Holland during the exiles of 1492 and 1496?

Of course. They were one and the same, for the most part. At least according to the book, where most authors on the subject dont reveal they were "conversos" because many were able to disquise their true identities.

This is another interesting read.

http://www.thechristiansolution.com/doc2009/175_Pirates.html

I have been doing genealogy research into this area since 1988. Just haven't gotten together funds to self-publish. The mormon library near where i live is closed due to remodeling and the la public library doesnt have an extensive genealogy section. I have done some research in the jewish section but need to do more work on those surnames myself now that i have some names from that book to confirm some connections.

my interest in this specific area is a result of researching the genealogy of Haile Selassie and finding several sources that listed his ancestry as Portuguese, as well as a connection between the Portuguese/Iberian Jews and the Oromo, which is minimally documented.

Of course. They were one and the same, for the most part. At least according to the book, where most authors on the subject dont reveal they were "conversos" because many were able to disquise their true identities.

Cool just making sure we were on the same page.

This is another interesting read.

http://www.thechristiansolution.com/doc2009/175_Pirates.html

I have been doing genealogy research into this area since 1988. Just haven't gotten together funds to self-publish. The mormon library near where i live is closed due to remodeling and the la public library doesnt have an extensive genealogy section. I have done some research in the jewish section but need to do more work on those surnames myself now that i have some names from that book to confirm some connections.

The Mormon database is pretty extensive.

my interest in this specific area is a result of researching the genealogy of Haile Selassie and finding several sources that listed his ancestry as Portuguese, as well as a connection between the Portuguese/Iberian Jews and the Oromo, which is minimally documented.

Interesting. I'm going to see if his name comes up in the book I have.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back