Black People : The Hate U Give

Queenie

PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 9, 2001
I know there must be a thread here about this movie already, so forgive me if I am duplicating it. I'm curious, how many people have seen it and what did you think about it? How did it make you feel? In terms of the storytelling, what did you like and what didn't you like? Can we talk?

Haven't seen it and likely won't. But I hope it's as good as everyone says it is.
I do question though how many black need to see it to know what it says.
Guess what I mean to say is that the better the movie is the more white people will go see it....they are who needs to absorb it's message. We don't, we already live it everyday.

But then again I haven't seen the movie.
What is the messaging NNQueen?

I think there are several messages, most of which, I believe, all of us can relate to in some way. I know it's got a lot of young Black people thinking and talking where I live.

It's really about the impact that systemic racism has on Black and white people. The typical Black family struggles, but with a twist. Shows how Fathers and mothers have to teach their children how to survive while living Black. Making choices to do whatever is necessary to support those that we love. It's not about Black people being perfect or victims, but that we are human and resilient and persistent in our quest for social justice.

Black love does exist between a Black man and Black woman. It showed how violence caused by the police and Black people, impacts our communities, particularly our children who witness it. The constant battle between the police--white and Black--who are trained to be suspicious of and ready to use violence against anyone who is Black, no matter their gender or their age. There were scenes that reminded me of several Black people that were killed recently by police.

Cultural appropriation by white people who feel entitled and privileged to be and do as they please. The migration of Black people out of the Black community into predominantly white communities, as a way of escaping once they have higher education and professional jobs.

Interracial relationships was also addressed. How Black owned businesses suffer due to integration. A Walmart moving nearby making it extremely difficult for small Black businesses to compete.

How integration and schools of choice have impacted Black people's thinking and divided the Black community in terms of where children go to get a "better" education and where they go to just learn things that are harmful to them and ultimately the communities they live in.

The systemic racism has a negative impact on Black people and white people--it does what it was intended to do--divides us psychologically and emotionally, and causing many Black people to feel that they have to live double lives--be "quiet" and don't fit the stereotype about Black people when around white people; be Black when they are around their own people (dissociative identity disorder).

Ogoun, tell me this, although you may not want to see the movie because you think we already live its plot (and I don't deny that may be true), but do you think by going anyway will, at least, support the Black director and cast?

Last edited:
Thanx for the great synopsis NNQueen!

Nah, I don't go out much anymore but in any case I wouldn't be go'n out to see it, I haven't been to one of those glorified home theaters they call cinema houses since I can't remember when. I will be looking forward to any rental Netflix will offer or from an on-demand channel though for the chance to get to see it.

Hollywood, wants to channel us into a groove, and location comfortable to White Supremacy! Our young women going out with the White man and most Black men coming from a gang life!
Other then that it does accuse us and points a finger at us nationall for having no National Activist organizations , in all these years since the lynching of Elanor Bumpers to deal with the issue of police lynchings...since we no longer have deterrents in the community like the Panthers and others, anymore , and we no longer have organizations that would have networked national boycotts, at the drop of a hat, if any Black person was dissed let alone lynched , regardless of hat state they are in!

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back