Black People : The Hate U Give

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by NNQueen, Oct 24, 2018.

1. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,595
    I know there must be a thread here about this movie already, so forgive me if I am duplicating it. I'm curious, how many people have seen it and what did you think about it? How did it make you feel? In terms of the storytelling, what did you like and what didn't you like? Can we talk?

2. ogoun

ogoun Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +429
    Haven't seen it and likely won't. But I hope it's as good as everyone says it is.
    I do question though how many black need to see it to know what it says.
    Guess what I mean to say is that the better the movie is the more white people will go see it....they are who needs to absorb it's message. We don't, we already live it everyday.

But then again I haven't seen the movie.
    What is the messaging NNQueen?

3. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,595
    I think there are several messages, most of which, I believe, all of us can relate to in some way. I know it's got a lot of young Black people thinking and talking where I live.

It's really about the impact that systemic racism has on Black and white people. The typical Black family struggles, but with a twist. Shows how Fathers and mothers have to teach their children how to survive while living Black. Making choices to do whatever is necessary to support those that we love. It's not about Black people being perfect or victims, but that we are human and resilient and persistent in our quest for social justice.

Black love does exist between a Black man and Black woman. It showed how violence caused by the police and Black people, impacts our communities, particularly our children who witness it. The constant battle between the police--white and Black--who are trained to be suspicious of and ready to use violence against anyone who is Black, no matter their gender or their age. There were scenes that reminded me of several Black people that were killed recently by police.

Cultural appropriation by white people who feel entitled and privileged to be and do as they please. The migration of Black people out of the Black community into predominantly white communities, as a way of escaping once they have higher education and professional jobs.

Interracial relationships was also addressed. How Black owned businesses suffer due to integration. A Walmart moving nearby making it extremely difficult for small Black businesses to compete.

How integration and schools of choice have impacted Black people's thinking and divided the Black community in terms of where children go to get a "better" education and where they go to just learn things that are harmful to them and ultimately the communities they live in.

The systemic racism has a negative impact on Black people and white people--it does what it was intended to do--divides us psychologically and emotionally, and causing many Black people to feel that they have to live double lives--be "quiet" and don't fit the stereotype about Black people when around white people; be Black when they are around their own people (dissociative identity disorder).

Ogoun, tell me this, although you may not want to see the movie because you think we already live its plot (and I don't deny that may be true), but do you think by going anyway will, at least, support the Black director and cast?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thank You Thank You x 1
    • List
  4. ogoun

ogoun Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +429
    Thanx for the great synopsis NNQueen!

Nah, I don't go out much anymore but in any case I wouldn't be go'n out to see it, I haven't been to one of those glorified home theaters they call cinema houses since I can't remember when. I will be looking forward to any rental Netflix will offer or from an on-demand channel though for the chance to get to see it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Symbol of America

Symbol of America going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    RET: EMS & TPD
    Ratings:
    +1,055
    Hi guy and gurl. Kem started a thread on 10/16/2018. I don't know how to consolidate this one and that one but I'll post a quick blurb comment on it to bring it up to date and maybe you two can consolidate them or whatever one has to do to accomplish that. Depending on how one views this as fortunate or unfortunate but I am in Tampa submitting independent contract bids for soon to be Ex Governor Rick Scott's conservatively estimated 90 to 380 billion dollar State of Florida Rail Initiative that he turned down in 2011 since no slush money was offered to be secretly stashed in his offshore bank account. Seems Russia bought the stock rights to Ferromex and one of it's subsidiary railroads who turned around and secured 51% ownership of FEC's stock who is sponsoring Brightline, yes Brightline a/k/a All Aboard Florida who was going to be summarily run out of South Florida by the wealthy yacht owners and the USCG until the Russians suddenly appeared in Sunny Isles beach and Miami City and have taken a keen interest in Florida's rail and highway transportation infrastructure. Brightline has Russian employees who can barely speak English but boy are they polite and very helpful. Anybody been on I-4 lately? For the past 26 years FLDOT had no money to repair it much less expand it, now pretty much there is serious construction going on 24/7, weekends too, AMTRAK, Sunrail and Brightline watchdogs smell Russian money funding the high tech I-4 High Speed Rail and supporting highway Corridor coming to a city near you. The first initiative that was immediately voted down in 2007 estimated the cost of just the tracks to be 1.3 million dollars a mile. At today's cost in construction alone it has to be at least quadruple that. So since America doesn't have that kind of money, just where is all this cash really coming from? Russia? Da? Maybe communism has it's niche benefits. If it brings more trains here, I'm good. So if anybody seeks employment in the highway or railroad industry, Florida's the place.

Well that was off topic. NNQ I still haven't been able to see E2 yet, there's a whole slew of flicks I wanna see but in time. I heard about this flick and all I know is when I was in high school the cops used to stop us all the time and bust our chops just to be doing it. Sometimes it was racism and sometimes it wasn't because just as many White guys we went to school with or just knew experienced that crap too. Things were different then too. For all the crap they did, never not once did they ever pull their guns on us, never hit us or anything like that, we never gave them reason to anyway, just sat in our cars, held onto the steering wheel and followed orders without any mouth about illegal car stops, racial profiling, bigotry, DWB or any of that like it would have made a difference, just made us get out of our cars and root around in them throwing anything that wasn't part of the cars all over the median then get back in their cars and drive off. No tickets either. We didn't run home and tell anybody either, they'd just say they don't believe us but we knew they knew it was true, their excuse would be well if the White cops stopped you then you must have done something wrong. It was what it was. I learned long ago, racism aside that there's always two sides to every story then there's the truth. No matter the situation the only 3 entities that know what actually happened is party #1, party #2 and GOD. So I insist that by a certain date every law enforcement officer that interacts with the public should be body cammed with hot mics and cruiser dashcam without the ability to turn them on or off and just like every states 24/7/365 we never close million dollar DOT Highway, Intersection and Red Light Traffic Camera systems the police departments should have a stand alone real time recorded system. Also last but not least the police departments need to be mandated to stop encrypting their dispatch channels, tac, surveillance, SWAT and special operations channels, yes. But that's a hot button topic best discussed another time.

6. Ndugu

Ndugu Active Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hollywood, wants to channel us into a groove, and location comfortable to White Supremacy! Our young women going out with the White man and most Black men coming from a gang life!
    Other then that it does accuse us and points a finger at us nationall for having no National Activist organizations , in all these years since the lynching of Elanor Bumpers to deal with the issue of police lynchings...since we no longer have deterrents in the community like the Panthers and others, anymore , and we no longer have organizations that would have networked national boycotts, at the drop of a hat, if any Black person was dissed let alone lynched , regardless of hat state they are in!

7. Symbol of America

Symbol of America going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    RET: EMS & TPD
    Ratings:
    +1,055
    Excellent thought provoking comment. I was in NYC when NYPD-ESU shot Eleanor Bumpurs in 1984. NYCHA had their own police department and no one ever explained why they were not initially called. Since they were about 79% Black, the outcome just might have handled entirely different. We'll never really know what transpired. On a similar note, well let's just say in Jewish controlled NYC race, culture and religious affiliation can, does and oftentimes will determine the outcomes NYPD has control over in similar situations even to the detriment of the self professed chosen ones. Claw hammers or knives, it's all the same to NYPD-ESU MOF's.

Case in point:

Gary Gideon "Gidone" Busch.

hqdefault.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gidone_Busch
    Gidone Busch - Wikipedia
    en.wikipedia.org

Life is short, but sometimes some lives can be shorter then others irregardless of who you are and more so because of who you think you are. That's life.

8. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +8,231

The entertainment section

9. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +8,231

You'd be surprised at how many have no clue to our history. Thus, it is important for all to see. Because if we don't support the telling of our stories by us, then don't complain when no one steps up to tell them.

10. Ndugu

Ndugu Active Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +19
    And as you know, this reveals nothing to say that there were several organizations other then the Black Panther Party , in NYC and the East coast and major cities, that were a deterrent to police brutality and lynchings, all decimated by COINTELPRO, just around the time the Culture changed from the NOGE street culture to Hip Hop, after the war aged by Afrika Bambaata on the NOGE, in 82! To this day I still feel that Bambaata was working for COINTELPRO , in doing that! An organization can stop, other organizations, but to destroy the inclination to create, new organizations , of community protection, one must use mind control, via a tampering with the Culture of a people!