Black Relationships : THE GREAT DIVIDE

OmowaleX

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jun 23, 2002
Aztlan
Occupation
Educator
There are some historical realities which have directly contributed to the condition in which Black Men and Black Women find themselves in, concerning the manner in which how we relate to each other, and how there is a disconnect and imbalance in many of our relationships.

It is my contention that this situation is rooted in the very insitution of slavery, and how the "peculiar institution" selectively chose a work force which promoted misgegenation between Black African men and Native American women. In this process, African slavery was superimposed on a system of Native slavery, with disproportionate numbers of African men to women, by a ratio of at least 3 to 1.

Currently, there is supposedly a disproportionate number of Black women to men, at least this is what is propagated by the Black media.

The question here is, at what point of time did Black women become the majority population when initially there was a much higher ratio of Black men?

If there was a higher ratio of Black men to women at the closing of the civil war, then something drastically has happened to the Black male population in the united states since "emancipation".

This speaks to evidence of a system of genocide which has progressively killed off the Black Man in America, while displacing Him from the work force.

Furthermore, it is often contended that the propensity of Black men to date and intermarry ouside of the "race" is due to "self-hatred". Yet, this inter-marriage with Native women was not only promoted but institutionalized from the earliest pont of the development of the superimposition of African over Native slave labor.

I offer just one of many studies which documents how this system created a Great Divide between Black Men and Women.

http://are.as.wvu.edu/minges.htm

OmowaleX said:
There are some historical realities which have directly contributed to the condition in which Black Men and Black Women find themselves in, concerning the manner in which how we relate to each other, and how there is a disconnect and imbalance in many of our relationships.

It is my contention that this situation is rooted in the very insitution of slavery, and how the "peculiar institution" selectively chose a work force which promoted misgegenation between Black African men and Native American women. In this process, African slavery was superimposed on a system of Native slavery, with disproportionate numbers of African men to women, by a ratio of at least 3 to 1.

Currently, there is supposedly a disproportionate number of Black women to men, at least this is what is propagated by the Black media.

The question here is, at what point of time did Black women become the majority population when initially there was a much higher ratio of Black men?

If there was a higher ratio of Black men to women at the closing of the civil war, then something drastically has happened to the Black male population in the united states since "emancipation".

This speaks to evidence of a system of genocide which has progressively killed off the Black Man in America, while displacing Him from the work force.

Furthermore, it is often contended that the propensity of Black men to date and intermarry ouside of the "race" is due to "self-hatred". Yet, this inter-marriage with Native women was not only promoted but institutionalized from the earliest pont of the development of the superimposition of African over Native slave labor.

I offer just one of many studies which documents how this system created a Great Divide between Black Men and Women.

http://are.as.wvu.edu/minges.htm

Omowale, great article brother!

The whole issue of why sisters outnumber brothers is complex, and I am, to be honest, not prepared to render a clear analysis of the question. Clearly our numbers in prison, our homicide rates, and those brothers who have zero interest in woman are part of those numbers - even though they are clearly part of our overall numbers. Additionally Women tend to outlive men across ethnic lines.

Clearly, you are hinting at some disbelief about the numbers, and now that I am forced to think about it a little, it does seem strange how they come up with these numbers... Additionally, there seems to be something consistent about this "scarcity" of humanity(men) in our communities.

Now Omawali X you know you're going to get into trouble for stating that black male/ female relationship issues and numbers are somehow related to slavery. There are people here who will do anything to deny that reality or that we should have healed in a decade for what we endured for 300 hundred years. In other words, I think they are trying to say "get over it"....the past is the past.

Well of course I know differently and in reality this post should be connected to the post of black mothers raising black boys alone. Sure, I know it isn't an accident and that much of it is an extension of genocide, miseducation, racism and other issues...but there are many of our people who can not and do not want to accept this truth.

I too do not know who my real father was and I was lucky to be raised in a home where the man my mother married was also my daddy for 18 years before he stepped. These issues are too multi-demensional for there to be just ONE answer and those who do not remember the past on may levels obviously have no clue as to the "what, why, how, when and reasons for our dilemma.

I can not marginalize this into income level or educational level perspectives as was done in the "black mothers raising black sons" thread'...not when i think about all the many earlier mothers who had neither the education or the income and did excellent jobs raising their sons alone. Of course I'm speaking of the pre-integration movement mothers and some afterwards...a time when we had extended family relationships and community value systems that were basically the same...a time when we still had actual "ROLE MODELS" living in our communities because society wouldn't let them live anywhere else...and when we had rent parties and when there was really no such thing as a hungry child as long as the neighbor had food...but I'm sure you know what's going on and why, so let me leave it as it is.

Without History Everything Is Such A Mystery !!
Hetep!!

OmowaleX,

1. What are the interpersonal attributes that make for a successful relationship?

2. In what ways did the institution of slavery and the ensuing establishment of global racism/white supremacy affect the individual interpersonal attributes, if at all?

3. Are there any other external factors that devalue or make or hinder the black man and woman from establishing and maintaining a successful relationship? If so, what are they? Do they relate to slavery and R/WS or something else?

4. Would/could managing or mitigating the "something else" help with the great divide? If not, is it SOLELY slavery and/or R/WS that empowers this divide?

5. If it is SOLELY slavery and/or R/WS that is the problem, how do we go about eliminating it? What would R/WS need to be replaced with to bridge this divide?

Keita said:
Now Omawali X you know you're going to get into trouble for stating that black male/ female relationship issues and numbers are somehow related to slavery. There are people here who will do anything to deny that reality or that we should have healed in a decade for what we endured for 300 hundred years. In other words, I think they are trying to say "get over it"....the past is the past.

Well of course I know differently and in reality this post should be connected to the post of black mothers raising black boys alone. Sure, I know it isn't an accident and that much of it is an extension of genocide, miseducation, racism and other issues...but there are many of our people who can not and do not want to accept this truth.

I too do not know who my real father was and I was lucky to be raised in a home where the man my mother married was also my daddy for 18 years before he stepped. These issues are too multi-demensional for there to be just ONE answer and those who do not remember the past on may levels obviously have no clue as to the "what, why, how, when and reasons for our dilemma.

I can not marginalize this into income level or educational level perspectives as was done in the "black mothers raising black sons" thread'...not when i think about all the many earlier mothers who had neither the education or the income and did excellent jobs raising their sons alone. Of course I'm speaking of the pre-integration movement mothers and some afterwards...a time when we had extended family relationships and community value systems that were basically the same...a time when we still had actual "ROLE MODELS" living in our communities because society wouldn't let them live anywhere else...and when we had rent parties and when there was really no such thing as a hungry child as long as the neighbor had food...but I'm sure you know what's going on and why, so let me leave it as it is.

Without History Everything Is Such A Mystery !!
Hetep!!

Thanks for your response brother Keita.

For once, I am in TOTAL agreement with you.

I THINK the one thing that stands out to me is you relating your own PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.

Months ago I stated I was "throwing political correctness out the window" which actually translates to my no longer even attempting to use any kinda "scientific objectivity".

I THINK more of us need to "call it as we see it".

Peace.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back