Black Entertainment : The Great Debaters

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by BallOfConfusion, Feb 6, 2008.

1. BallOfConfusion

BallOfConfusion Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    So I recently discovered that "The Great Debaters" was not nominated for any Academy Awards. Zero, Zilch, None at all-how is this possible? I'm so disappointed-is anyone else with me on this? Besides Transformers this was my favorite movie of 07'. I've seen this movie 10 times already lol thats how much I love it. I thought is was a great cast, I mean come on Denzel & Forrest!! How often do you get that. And they weren't even the best part of the movie I thought the three younger actors stole the show considering they are pretty much unknowns. I just can not comprehend how this movie could get any nominations. I just want to show my appreciation to anybody and everybody for making this movie and getting this story out there.

2. Da Street So'ja

Da Street So'ja Banned MEMBER

thrivin' spiritually/physically/emotionally/financ
    Ratings:
    +42
    wondering the

same

3. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    do you think that hollywood cares about black folks in a movie that shows our intelligence and compassion for one another with us portraying professors and educators,perish the thought..oh no we got to be-hooches-pimps-drug addics-sex craving fools drinking forties and smoking blunts,now THAT gets their attention and the oscar nominations!

4. MysteryDoors

MysteryDoors Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    one of the year's best films

I thought the film was great and it is added to my DVD collection.

The Great Debaters By Roger Ebert
    http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071224/REVIEWS/712240301
    NOTE: In fact, the real Wiley team did beat the national champions, but from USC, not Harvard. Co-writer Robert Eisele explains, "In that era, there was much at stake when a black college debated any white school, particularly one with the stature of Harvard. We used Harvard to demonstrate the heights they achieved."