Black Spirituality Religion : The Gnostic Demiurge

Sekhemu

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jul 9, 2003
new jersey
Occupation
priest
Gnosis refers to a knowledge that is essential to free oneself from the "evil" material world and bodily existence. Gnostics believe humans err because they are ignorant, unlike the Christian belief that man is sinful by nature. Gnostics will receive salvation when they gain knowledge or gnosis. The knowledge must be of their inner self or soul. It is similar to the Hindu definition of meditation.

There is Gnosticism in Sufism, Hebrew kaballah as well as Vajrayana Bhuddism.

Some of the basic beliefs of Gnosticism are as follows:

Between this world and the "God" imcomphrensible to thought, the "primal cause" there is a irreconcilable antagonism.

The "self" the "I" of the gnostic, his "spirit" or soul, is unalterably divine.

This "I" however has fallen into this world, has been imprisoned and anaesthesized by it, and cannot free itself from it.

Only a divine call" from the world of light loosens the bonds of captivity.

Another unique aspect of the Gnostic belief system is their view of the creation of the world. They believe that the true God has a feminine side, Sophia, the spirit side of "God". Sophia wanted to give birth to a being like herself. She proceeded without permission of God. The result was imperfect and she was ashamed of it, so she hid it in a cloud away from all the other immortals. The child was called the Demiurge. He was born with "some" power (from the spirit) and used it to create the physical world. This trapped (the spirit in matter). The view of the imperfections of creation are similar to those in hebrew scripture, just as the creator is incompetent.

The gnostics taught that the demiurge was Yehovah from the old testament. The Christ on the other hand, came from God and the holy "spirit". It should be noted that the gnostics overstood the Christ to mean a body of people, not just one man.

The man called Christ taught the Gnostics the secred knowledge(gnosis) which he did not teach to the church. This belief created animosity between the church and the gnostics. Also, contrary to Christian teachings about Christ being born of the Virgin Mary. The Gnostics believe that Christ entered Mary's body via sexual intercourse between Mary and Joseph.

Gnostics had several other beliefs that dismayed early Christians. They scorned bishops, priest and deacons, however, they let women hold leadership and liturgical positions. Many Gnostics would not make the sign of the Cross, because to them the "suffering" of christ was no actual event but a condition of "mankind"

They also did not recognize the significance of baptism in water. They believe that they are an elect group and that they will gain salvation by gnosis, and everyone else will be annihilated.

The Gnostics also have a different view of the makeup of the world, Aeons or worlds "or distinct spiritual entities", which all together make up the pleroma, or fullness. The pleroma is above the cosmos, and is the "spiritual Divine Reality. The True God's realm. This is the place a gnostic hopes to return to via salvation.

Sekhemu said:
Gnosis refers to a knowledge that is essential to free oneself from the "evil" material world and bodily existence. Gnostics believe humans err because they are ignorant, unlike the Christian belief that man is sinful by nature. Gnostics will receive salvation when they gain knowledge or gnosis. The knowledge must be of their inner self or soul. It is similar to the Hindu definition of meditation.

Between this world and the "God" imcomphrensible to thought, the "primal cause" there is a irreconcilable antagonism.

This "I" however has fallen into this world, has been imprisoned and anaesthesized by it, and cannot free itself from it.

Another unique aspect of the Gnostic belief system is their view of the creation of the world. They believe that the true God has a feminine side, Sophia, the spirit side of "God". Sophia wanted to give birth to a being like herself. She proceeded without permission of God. The result was imperfect and she was ashamed of it, so she hid it in a cloud away from all the other immortals. The child was called the Demiurge. He was born with "some" power (from the spirit) and used it to create the physical world. This trapped (the spirit in matter). The view of the imperfections of creation are similar to those in hebrew scripture, just as the creator is incompetent.

The gnostics taught that the demiurge was Yehovah from the old testament. The Christ on the other hand, came from God and the holy "spirit". It should be noted that the gnostics overstood the Christ to mean a body of people, not just one man.

The man called Christ taught the Gnostics the secred knowledge(gnosis) which he did not teach to the church. This belief created animosity between the church and the gnostics. Also, contrary to Christian teachings about Christ being born of the Virgin Mary. The Gnostics believe that Christ entered Mary's body via sexual intercourse between Mary and Joseph.

Gnostics had several other beliefs that dismayed early Christians. They scorned bishops, priest and deacons, however, they let women hold leadership and liturgical positions. Many Gnostics would not make the sign of the Cross, because to them the "suffering" of christ was no actual event but a condition of "mankind"

They also did not recognize the significance of baptism in water. They believe that they are an elect group and that they will gain salvation by gnosis, and everyone else will be annihilated.

The Gnostics also have a different view of the makeup of the world, Aeons or worlds "or distinct spiritual entities", which all together make up the pleroma, or fullness. The pleroma is above the cosmos, and is the "spiritual Divine Reality. The True God's realm. This is the place a gnostic hopes to return to via salvation.

Brother Sekhemu,

I'm glad you started this. Indeed. Hetep.

Blackbird

Wow! This is very deep Brother Sekhemu!

I have heard of the term Gnostics before but never knew what it meant or where it derived from. I believe that to know ones self is to know GOD. When I say this, I mean to know ones soul and or spirit. I believe the spirit came into existance as a thought of the creator magnificent knowledge. Therefore the spirit lives not ever knowing death.

The creators existance is unlimited the same as his knowledge. I believe Knowledge is salvation because if you become more aware of the things around you, seen and unseen as well as yourself, You come to know the Creator from whence you came. Peace, beauty and fulfillment of ease will be bestowed to you. You will have an understanding of the fact that all who desire to become one with they creator will grow from different experiences and at different times. Meaning a murderer can also gain knowledge of self, evaluate and grow from his/hers actions and find his/hers path back to the Creator.

When I say knowledge, I am talking about spirituality, understanding, and compassion. Not the knowledge that comes from books of scholars. Also not everyone who becomes aware will except the creator as it's ultimate being. Some spirits/souls are purposely rebelious.

The planeterial changes that are taking place in the cosmo is strumming a vibration through out the universe. Many people are tunning into these vibrations and are not aware of what they may be experiencing or feeling.

Evolution is taking place as the spirits are yearning to connect back to its beginning/source. You have people flocking and searching for their path in different religions and beliefs and arguing that their Creator is the one and only true GOD whilst not even knowing that to have knowledge of self is their connection to GOD.

Not knowing much about the Gnosis except this small interesting description that you have presented about their belief; The "self" the "I" of the gnostic, his "spirit" or soul, is unalterably divine, have sparked me to research more about the Gnostics.

Now of course none of this I have said is law, But is some of the things I have come to believe as I continue to seek knowledge of self. I am still at a premature level of self and with growth some of my findings may be altered. My desire to obtain more knowledge will not be stagnant in one religion/belief.

The creators Knowledge is infinite and I know that one belief system wont provide enough information for me to feed my desire to know more.

Thank you Sehkemu for a very enlightening post!

Sekhemu said:

Though we have had many heated debates for the sake of understanding I find this interesting. Though I respectfully disagree with many of the doctrines here I do understand what is being expressed. Many christians do believe nature of man is sinful I like to think of it as separating your flesh from your spirit. The flesh is corrupt and easier influenced by evil spirits. The spirit is pure and it direct contact with God. Man's dilemma is which nature will he be lead by, his flesh nature or his spirit nature. I also believe that man can not tame his flesh without help. This is what I meant in previous threads when I said we must die to our flesh so that our spirit may live. Of course being a christian you know whom I say to be my source. I do agree that man errs because he lacks knowledge of God, himself and what his purpose is. So there are things that are simular. Who had the divine inspiration for this faith and how old is it?

Shalom

Radical Faith.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back