Black History Culture : THE GLORY OF KUSH

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Omowale Jabali, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
  2. ShemsiEnTehuti

ShemsiEnTehuti Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +32
    My problem with this article is that it lumps the Nubians and the people of Kush into one category. That cannot be farther from the truth. During Hatshepsut's reign, Nubia was referred to as Wawat and Kush was referred as Senmut. When the people of Kemet wrote of travelling to Punt, or the Land of their God (and ancestors), during Hatshepsut's reign, they clearly distinguished between the people of Wawat (Nubia) (whom they had a love-hate relationship with) and the people of Senmut (Kush). To get to Punt, one must travel through both the lands of Nubia and Kush as told in the beginning of the log of "The Shipwrecked Sailor" of ancient Kemet here...

http://www.touregypt.net/shipwreckedsailor.htm

Another thing, ask a present-day Nubian and any of the Ethiopian, Eritrean, or Somalian tribes if they are the same people as the Nubians, and you will certainly get a stiff response, although they are certainly related. The ancient land of Nubia was nominally only between Aswan through the 1st & 2nd cataracts of the Nile and some parts of present-day West Sudan and South Libya, with varying borders throughout the centuries due to economics, politics, and war. Kush, however, nominally encompassed the land south of the 2nd cataract with indefinite borders ending in the south and also included most of the present-day countries of Ethiopia, Eritrea, and Somalia (of course with varying borders throughout the ages). You can get a better picture of this looking at this map of the 6 cataracts along the Nile...

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/3938/sixcataractsofthenilehs6.jpg

And even a picture of the African continent might help as well...

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/6739/africanmaptb4.jpg

In my opinion, racist Egyptologists lumped Nubia and Kush together simply because they only see Blacks as slaves, and try to make Kemet white. It is well documented that Kemet warred with Nubia often over the years, and made slaves out of them at times. This was the racists' way of making all of southern interior Africa the slaves of Egyptians, whom they were and still are claiming to be Whites.

3. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Certainly if one asks modern day Ethiopians, Somalians, etc. if they are "kemetic" one would get a stiff response as well!

Interestingly, the author of this article is NOT a "racist Egyptologist" he is a BLACK MAN, and personally, I trust HIM more than I do any of the WHITE web sites that you are seeking to use as "proof" concerning what is ultimately "your problem" which is not worth any further response.

4. ShemsiEnTehuti

Ratings:
    +32

I am sure the author of the article, whether Black or White, simply doesn't know any better. He is only following the convention that is prevalent in archaeology when discussing Nubia and Kush. Another thing, no one ever said Ethiopians or Somalians were "Kemetic". They never called their land Kemet, only the people of Egypt/Kemet above the 2nd cataract, but sometimes as far south as the 4th and 5th cataracts.

Oh yeah, what is it with you in pointing out something is a "white" web site? There are articles of truth and falsehood in both Afrocentric and Eurocentric work. We just have to be intelligent to discern what parts are actually scientific and factual. FYI, there are no falsehoods in a mere translation of an ancient Kemetic papyrus, that is unless you have a problem with the translator Petrie.

I am not sure why you are taking this personal. I was only highlighting the fallacy in lumping Nubia and Kush together as if they were the same people. A point which you never addressed in your condescension.

5. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
  6. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
  7. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
  8. ShemsiEnTehuti

Ratings:
    +32
    You go to another person's interpretation who obviously has never read ancient Kemetic texts. I just gave you a Kemetic reference of "The Shipwrecked Sailor" where Nubia and Kush are 2 distinct places on the way to Punt. Seriously Omo, what is wrong with you? With you everything is condescending and confrontational. I will give you the source again, and only once more. The Kemetic text states...

"...Moreover, we have come back in good health, and not a man is lacking; although we have been to the ends of Wawat [Nubia], and gone through the land of Senmut [Kush],we have returned in peace, and our land..."​

A translation of the papyrus in its entirety is here in case you want to read it...
    http://www.touregypt.net/shipwreckedsailor.htm

9. ANUK_AUSAR

ANUK_AUSAR Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Hetep,

Brother, as I tried to show you before, omowale is clearly not interested in hard facts, nor can he accept a criticism of his source without assuming the sharpness of that criticism upon himself.

If you're looking for a point-by-point discussion, you most likely won't get it. In another thread I corrected a source of his, which claimed that, remarkably, the Kush-ites were responsible for ancient Kamitian hieroglyphics. No response.

http://destee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44985

His appeal to such spurious sources as linked to in the above evidences his ambivalence about the actual matters of history, and his desperation to substantiate a priori conclusions about the Ku****es/Nubians/Ethiopians as a single nation (as opposed to the Kamau???).

That he ignores the obvious cultural differences of the various races below the first cataract, to galvanize them into some monolith at variance with the "decadent" and "culturally divergent" Egyptian civilization, is the heartiest proof of his irrationality amongst many.

Hetep.

10. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585