Black Short Stories : The Ghetto Made me (part I)

Discussion in 'Short Stories - Authors - Writing' started by krazelyricks, Jun 1, 2004.

1. krazelyricks

krazelyricks Well-Known Member MEMBER

student
    Ratings:
    +12
    Yo, whas up. This is another hard core short story by me, Foxi, except this one is about my own [email protected] life. I'm going to tell you about the real me with no skips and and no scripted rehearsed junk either. This is all me. This ain't no autobiography either. I like to think of my life as only long @ss story. Ya dig?

Aiight, my name is foxi. Foxylady if you nasty. Naw, I'm just playin'. But for real though. I came bustin' out my mama's big @ss belly on April 11, 1987. She named me Ashley off that girl on Young and the Restless. Just like some black folk to do what they see on television. I hate that name. I held a lot of different names throughout my life. Roc, lil' hustler, Pee-wee, and Nickle bag. But ya'll will learn how I got those later. But I'm starting from the beginnin' so all ya'll need to know is I'm Ashley for now.

I was born in a project complex called Grady Homes. Grady Homes is a public housing sector in the heart of ATL. They got it goin' on all the time. They got drugs, prostitution, stealing, and killing going on all times of the night. I was born on one hot day in my mama's living room. She had called the police but they never came. Come to think of it, they never do. She was huffing and puffing while Ms. Banetta helped her deliver me. Ms. Barnetta was a old house wife. She didn't have anything else to do. I mean, [email protected] she had already had twelve children one more to deliver wasn't nothing.

"Alright, now breath. It's coming."

Mama huffed and puffed frantically. "[email protected], I wish she would bring her @ss on. This hurt!!! Awwww!!!!!!!!"

"One more push."

Mama was sweating feriously. "Ms. Banetta, I don't think I can do another one."

"Come one girl, it's here. Just one more push."

Mama pushed and just like that I came in the world with all kind of blood and my mama's wet juices on me. Mama said I didn't cry like other kids when they came in the world. She saw that as odd but she loved with the same love. I came in weighting 3 pounds. I was underweight. Maybe, my mama smoking weed and cigarettes had something to do with that but let me get off my mama. She was young and that is to be excepted. Mama was just eighteen when she had me. Pops was twenty one. He was a small time hustler that thought he had the whole world on lock but he really didn't have nothing on lock but my stupid mama for getting preagnant by his stupid butt.

Mama was just a young kid like I said when she had me. She had two more weeks in school when she had me. She ended up missing the last two weeks because she didn't have anyone else to take care of me. Her diploma was mailed in the mail. Mama was smart believe it or not. She was on the principle's list and everything. She had plans of going to Emory University but she never did go because she had to take care of her new baby. Well, at least she used that as her excuse. When I was first born I stayed with my g-mama everyday. Mama would come to get on Sundays and take me back on Mondays.

G-mama was cool. She was swift and smooth for her old age. I still remember her. She was the lady that loved me with so much love I could have sufficated. I wasn't even hers. She bathed me, she clothed me, and she even fed me. She was doing everything that mama should have been doing but wasn't. Mama had all the freetime she wanted. Most people couldn't even tell she was a mama cause she was still clubbing and dating as much as she wanted too with no baggage. To be honest, I'm not sure she even told anyone that she had a child until g-mama died when I was about five and a half years old. By then I didn't even know I had a mama. She had long ago stopped picking me up. I thought my g-mama was all the mama I had. That is so ghetto. But then again, ain't I from the hood.

"Okay baby, you're going to be stayin' with me from now on. I'm your mama. Do you remember me?"

"No, what's your name?"

"Kayla, you can call me Kayla. Mama makes me sound old."

"Okay, Kayla."

"Good. It's so good to see you. This is your room."

I looked around. It was very small. It was nothing like I was used to. It looked like she didn't even try to clean up. She knew I was coming and she didn't do nothing to the place. I wanted to cry. There were roachs in the corners. The draws were half way open with clothes all out of them. The bed wasn't even made up. It didn't have any covers on it. It was just bare.
    A tear formed in my eyes but I wouldn't let it fall. I had learned early from g-mama that crying was for wansters. But if you would have saw what I saw in
    front of me you would have cried too.

"Mama......... I mean, Kayla can I have some cover please?"

"Oh sure."

She went in a hall closet and got a thin sheet. It was holy but I let it ride and realized that I was going to have to quickly get used to this lifestyle. Mama let it be known from the jump that g-mama was dead and never coming back.

"Thank you."

"You welcome, I'm finna go right quick. I'll be right back."

"Okay."

Just like that she was gone. She didn't tell me where or when she would be back. I know she couldn't have gotten far though because she didn't have a car the first. I slammed the door. I closed myself in my room and quietly laid on the bed covered in the sheet on the pee stained bed. I wanted my g-mama.

I fell asleep crying to myself. The tears had dried on my face by the time I heard the front door open and close. It was 3 o'clock in the morning. Mama was just getting in. I was starving. I didn't know how to cook and hadn't eaten anything all day. The funeral was earlier that day around twelve and I hadn't aten anything since.

I heard her walking back near to the room I was in. It was a one bedroom apartment so it was obvious where she was going to be sleeping. She turned on the light. I played sleep. She changed her clothes and got in bed. I balled myself in the torn and holy covers and went back to sleep with my stomach grawling loudly. I hoped she cooked something in the morning. G-mama always cooked in the morning.

To be continued..........

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    great flip of a story pt.2 i await to see whats next

3. Lucky

Lucky Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    me 2 i wanna hear more

4. the_story

the_story Well-Known Member MEMBER

n/a
    Ratings:
    +1
    very nice fox...i likes this...
    :heart:
    -story

5. SensualReality

SensualReality Well-Known Member MEMBER

high school student
    Ratings:
    +2
    Foxi.......
    I ain't sayin a dang thang you off the chain girlie

6. krazelyricks

krazelyricks Well-Known Member MEMBER

student
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thank ya'll. I'mma be comin' up with part 2 soon. It ain't that hard to tell about your own life I found that out now. It took me about 15 min with this. lol.

7. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    lol...you came straight with it....this reads really well...i like it
    keep writting...
    one love
    khasm

8. young_girl605

young_girl605 New Member MEMBER

Ratings: